3/8 x 12 joint screw, need shaft + joint protectors

BHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a SW clone cue, that has a 3/8 x 12 brass screw. I really like this cue, but I really prefer 59+" cues. I want to have a new shaft made for this cue at 30". I might as well get some basic joint protectors too...since 3/8 x 12 seems impossible to find. I've spoken to cuemakers before who couldn't work with this size screw. Anybody have this size tap available for a wood/wood shaft?

Attachments

• Cues_macro_08 016.jpg
    Cues_macro_08 016.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 946
  • Cues_macro_08 017.jpg
    Cues_macro_08 017.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 583

dirtypool40

I love this freakin' game
Silver Member
ok, sorry, just trying to help, I've always heard folks refer to the SW pin as an 11, but I never counted it.

I have a similiar pin / cue in my new AA-3 Adams. I have the same issue you do, I want a certain balance and a 59" cue.

I'm taking it to Harry Richards in Daytona. 386-795-5510

BHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not a SouthWest...it's a knockoff...probably Asian of origin. Thing is, it's an older cue, I had some repairs done to it and a new wrap added several years ago, and the cuemaker who did the work said it was well made and looked to be at least 20 years old. I play with it more than my 59" custom. But I need an extra inch or two....I mean...who doesn't?

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHW said:
I have a SW clone cue, that has a 3/8 x 12 brass screw. I really like this cue, but I really prefer 59+" cues. I want to have a new shaft made for this cue at 30". I might as well get some basic joint protectors too...since 3/8 x 12 seems impossible to find. I've spoken to cuemakers before who couldn't work with this size screw. Anybody have this size tap available for a wood/wood shaft?

I'm in the same picklement at present. I took in a custom built cue from a customer who wants an OB1 shaft fitted to it. He had told me that it has a S/W thread pin in it. I ordered a OB1 blank which I received Monday. I received the butt on Tuesday and checked the pin and it is a 3/8X12 instead of a 3/8X11 and it looks to be an Acme thread. There is such a thing as an 3/8X12 Acme tap, which is a double tap so it can't be used in a bare wood shaft. At 85.00 each I'm not going to buy two of them so as to adapt. I may be able to bore a piece of phenolic and tap it and then use it for an insert but I hate to have to spend the 85.00 plus S/H to experiment, especially since this is the only shaft I'll ever need to make with this thread.

Dick

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8" x 12 Thd.

I think Tad's Big screw is 3/8' x 12 threads. But, standard 60* "V" Threads..
Brunswick was making a line of cues that had the 3/8" x 12 Thread cues

Last edited:

BHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rhncue said:
I'm in the same picklement at present. I took in a custom built cue from a customer who wants an OB1 shaft fitted to it. He had told me that it has a S/W thread pin in it. I ordered a OB1 blank which I received Monday. I received the butt on Tuesday and checked the pin and it is a 3/8X12 instead of a 3/8X11 and it looks to be an Acme thread. There is such a thing as an 3/8X12 Acme tap, which is a double tap so it can't be used in a bare wood shaft. At 85.00 each I'm not going to buy two of them so as to adapt. I may be able to bore a piece of phenolic and tap it and then use it for an insert but I hate to have to spend the 85.00 plus S/H to experiment, especially since this is the only shaft I'll ever need to make with this thread.

Dick

Yup, I talked to a guy a few years back about making a shaft, and the cost of buying the tap was too much. I talked to one guy who said he could make it no problem....I think it was Ted Harris....maybe I need to talk to him again? Getting old is tough on my memory.

nipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am sure i have the answer to this, its not quite an acme i dont think as the majors are not flat, anyway i have a CK CUE (on ebay) and wanted to fit an OB1 shaft ended up contacting guy on website and he sold me 6 pins with phenolic inserts, bingo!

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nipper said:
i am sure i have the answer to this, its not quite an acme i dont think as the majors are not flat, anyway i have a CK CUE (on ebay) and wanted to fit an OB1 shaft ended up contacting guy on website and he sold me 6 pins with phenolic inserts, bingo!

The thread that I'm trying to cut, although it may not be a true Acme, does have rather flat tops on the majors.

DSC_0003-3.jpg

Dick

Gerald

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In So. Calif both Ariel Carmelli and Kerry Zylr have 3/8x12 taps. From their days at Best Billiards. Also try the repair guy at Seyberts. He did a Predator shaft for me for a Tad and he had to have a 3/8x12 tap made for the job. That was about 3-4 years ago and he was great to work with. Good luck.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The owner of the cue called me this morning and let me know that it is an Guido Orlandi cue. I just don't understand how all of these new cue makers justify the use of all of these odd ball threads. 3 or 4 different thread styles sufficed for a 100 years but now suddenly all of these goofs have brought out about 2 dozen different threads trying to convince players that they have come up with something better than any other cue maker has thought of. As far as I'm concerned. they are all nothing more than charlatans and Snake Oil salesman.

Dick

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
J & J Billiard Supply had a line made for a while that had 3/8-12 SW style joint pins in them. They also sold joint protectors for them You might want to try them.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Nipper,
I believe what you're showing is an 11 thrd., now common on a lot of import cues. What Dick is showing in his pic is a 12 thrd.

If you look at both pics closely you'll see that the lead angle of the thread is different.

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12?

In Nipper's Photo, I notice the Pitch Gauge is not the same as the pin.
The pitch gauge's first thread is on the Leading edge of the pin's thread, and the last thread on that gauge is in the middle of the threads on the pin.. could it be 11.5 TPI...???
I could be wrong, but, I would say it's not a 12 Thread according to your Thread Pitch Gauge.. Just my observation..
BTW, Everybody refers this as "ACME-like' Threads.. I think it's more of a "Self-Tapping" Screw thread.. Or "Spaced Tread"...(See Machinist Handbook, Self-Tapping Screws)..
Harvey Martin used this 'cause it's what the wood screws had and thats what he and other Old time guys used.. The nominal 3/8" size had a U.S. Standard 12 thread.. (I think that's why Tad's Big Screw is 12 Threads).. It was the "West Coast cuemakers" (They also used 5/16" x 18 Thd. vs. 14 Thd., 18 Thd being the Unified National Fine Thread standard, SAE.) I think Dave K. made his own into 11 thread..??
Bill Stroud had the only true ACME Thread (5/16" x 14 ACME) and was the inventor (Along with Danny Janes?) of the 10 thread for our now standard 3/8" x 10 Thread's...
Bill, you want to tell the history of that story???:smile:
Alton

UpDate: The new photo below shows the Gauge sitting on the Pin better, it looks like a 12 thread... Sorry for my first obsevation..

Last edited:

nipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KJ Cues said:
Nipper,
I believe what you're showing is an 11 thrd., now common on a lot of import cues. What Dick is showing in his pic is a 12 thrd.

If you look at both pics closely you'll see that the lead angle of the thread is different.
DSC00090.jpg
i think this shows it a bit clearer, 11 or 12

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Nipper,
Even with your macro pic, I'm still not convinced. Maybe it's just my tired old eyes but something still isn't right with the positioning of the gauge to the threads and I'm not saying your gauge isn't true. Let's just say they're some odd threads. IMO, that pin would go into a 12 thd. hole. It may not be right as rain but it would go.

Last edited: