3/8 x 14...why?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, thanks for all the input. I had no idea how complex it can get.

I'm not really out a lot of $ relatively speaking, not knowing the current market is why I went that way (Cuetec). I also had no idea how much technology has changed in the last 20 or so years on a "tapered broomstick";), but I'm a retired IT engineer (HP/DEC) so in my real working life things never stood still.

I like the feel of the butt I have (Cuetec Avid series Sneaky Pete with LW), I did not know the points are painted:(. However, it fits my hand well and balances nice for me. I guess I'll go by one of the D/FW stores (Omega & Ft.W Billiards) next time we go to the big city and hit a little bit with a Cynergy, see how that feels. Seems to be the best option since I've already committed to the "Apple" marketing plan! Thanks DeeDee. Odd thing, after retiring from HP I went to Apple, mostly, for my home use.

I'm starting in an APA league next week, please no judgement here-it's all I got, & let's see where I match up with others before diving deeper. ...but; Oh there are some nice cues out there I'm just lusting over.

Maybe I should have gone the Pickle Ball route for retirement!!!:ROFLMAO:

Again, thanks for the info, it's well appreciated.
There's an amazing channel on YouTube called Machine Thinking, there are some absolutely brilliant videos on the origins of the lathe, the origins of precision and the origins of screws. If you like this stuff, you'll absolutely love that channel.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just mosey along. It's not that bad. I could put the minors but I don't want to spoil the fun.
Big shoutout and THANKS for sharing this information. It answered an important question for me and in all likelihood saved me time and money.

I have been having a difficult time getting any help from Rhino Cues on their 3/8 x 14 pin. I am still hoping they might answer my question regarding their pin. If they do I will share it here.

After several requests I still have no answer from them as to the dimensions of their 3/8 x 14 pin. So far I’ve been getting the run around from them..

I tried to thank you in a pm which is understandably not available.

Thanks Michael Webb!!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big shoutout and THANKS for sharing this information. It answered an important question for me and in all likelihood saved me time and money.

I have been having a difficult time getting any help from Rhino Cues on their 3/8 x 14 pin. I am still hoping they might answer my question regarding their pin. If they do I will share it here.

After several requests I still have no answer from them as to the dimensions of their 3/8 x 14 pin. So far I’ve been getting the run around from them..

Thanks Michael Webb!!
My apologies for shutting mine off.
This place has a lot of good people like yourself. Some very good Cue makers hiding behind fake screen names.
ALL GOOD!
But also has a lot of ASSHOLES, who think thier post count defines thier knowledge, so....
They wait til someone post an answer that makes sense, then try to play.
That's a very discouraging fact.
Not fun Anymore !!!!

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This place has a lot of good people like yourself. Some very good Cue makers hiding behind fake screen names.
ALL GOOD!
But also has a lot of ASSHOLES, who think thier post count defines thier knowledge, so....
Not fun Anymore !!!!
Thanks for the note. I assumed it was off for a good reason! Your correct in saying how things here at AZ and everywhere really, have changed for the worse. AZ still has more good that bad, at least I hope it does!

On that note and back to my issues with the 3/8 x 14 pin. I never got a real figure on the dimensions of the Rhino pin from Rhino. After getting run around twice with no real answer. They finally said it was the same as Cuetec uses. I specifically gave them all three dimensions you had been kind enough to supply and asked them which theirs matched?

That was when they finally said it matched Cuetec. Why they could not just put calipers on a pin is beyond me. So I looked up Cuetec’s pin and it is the .360 inch. My Bender is .375 as you know.

I am grateful you shared the info on the joint pin differences!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the note. I assumed it was off for a good reason! Your correct in saying how things here at AZ and everywhere really, have changed for the worse. AZ still has more good that bad, at least I hope it does!

On that note and back to my issues with the 3/8 x 14 pin. I never got a real figure on the dimensions of the Rhino pin from Rhino. After getting run around twice with no real answer. They finally said it was the same as Cuetec uses. I specifically gave them all three dimensions you had been kind enough to supply and asked them which theirs matched?

That was when they finally said it matched Cuetec. Why they could not just put calipers on a pin is beyond me. So I looked up Cuetec’s pin and it is the .360 inch. My Bender is .375 as you know.

I am grateful you shared the info on the joint pin differences!
Your welcome.
The good part is. The hole can be altered for your joint screw,
Now if they can match the .855 o.d. of the joint.
Your in action.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your welcome.
The good part is. The hole can be altered for your joint screw,
Now if they can match the .855 o.d. of the joint.
Your in action.
I’ve never been very concerned with the o. d. of after market shafts matching perfectly.

As long as they are tight and straight it makes no difference to me. I grew up playing with cues that did not roll straight.

I used to love beating folks with custom cues with a war club off the wall. They got all upset!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
ALL GOOD!
Not fun Anymore !!!!
Can't wait for the next ferrule thread. Lol
Not really.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240314_093403_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240314_093403_Chrome.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 47

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks
Back on track,
Anymore info needed on the various 3/8x14 joint screws?
Besides the obvious,
Bender, Cuetec, Esoteric and of course Omega.
Those are the only 3 I know of.
Makes me wonder why nobody designed a flat bottom 16 tpi.
No need to check the thread dial when engaging the thread gear on the lathe.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are the only 3 I know of.
Makes me wonder why nobody designed a flat bottom 16 tpi.
No need to check the thread dial when engaging the thread gear on the lathe.
Actually 5.
The 4, I mentioned plus the Company in Illinois offers another version. It's ok to make a maintenance mandrel out of for all except the Cuetec. They were hoping for the Cuetec originally but recieved the wrong spec's. Lol
3/8x16. Mcdermott quick release. They use to offer it in 3/8x10 also but stopped.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Actually 5.
The 4, I mentioned plus the Company in Illinois offers another version. It's ok to make a maintenance mandrel out of for all except the Cuetec. They were hoping for the Cuetec originally but recieved the wrong spec's. Lol
3/8x16. Mcdermott quick release. They use to offer it in 3/8x10 also but stopped.
Seen Philippine cues with 3/8 16 v threads.

tomuch23

Thanks Michael Webb!!
I have one in my case if you need anymore info on the cuetec rhino.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one in my case if you need anymore info on the cuetec rhino.
Thanks for the offer. The 3/8 x14 pin on Rhino cues is not compatible with the one Mike Bender uses. There is .360 inches measured across the major threads while Mike’s is .375 inches.