3 instructional DVDs reviews

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have already got 3 instructional DVDs in 2011 and here are the reviews:

POWER ONE POCKET with Scott Frost:

I decided to get into one pocket more seriously this year and this DVD is GOLD. Scott shows so many great shots and strategies and really gives the whys as well. His delivery is well timed. (doesn't babble for too long to get the point across so you get a lot of good content.)

The stories were my favorite part. He sets up the two most incredible shots in the highest pressure situations and what happens is mind boggling. Lots of other hilarious stories too.

Most importantly I left feeling like one pocket is cool and I'm inspired to want to play it well. I've been setting up the shots he shows and getting them in my arsenal.

CTE/PRO ONE with Stan Shuffet:

I was so excited about this because I really liked Cleary's free YouTube video he made about 90/90 voodoo aiming and thought a pivoting system might be a good way to teach some of my future students. The pro one production quality is 10 times better than power one pocket but I learned everything in Scott's DVD and literally nothing in Stan's. I watched it three times and was no where near making shots consistently like I was with the 90/90 system.

I feel like there needs to be a cte DVD for dummys. Stan is on another level mentally and the content can easily go over your head. I feel like it wasn't explained in detail enough. I've never been so frustrated just trying to understand let alone the fact that certain shots that were easy to replicate weren't going.

I was a top student in school and a Bca league MVP so I know how to shoot straight. So I feel if I'm confused I think a lot of others would too. Im truly happy for the people that get it but I just can't see myself promoting a system that requires a bunch of phone calls to Stan.

JIMMY REID's no time for the negative and almost everything I know and eight ball strategy:

Fell in love with Jimmy Reid over night. I started off with the eightball and learned a lot. He breaks a ton of racks and talks you through them and gives you the whys. I love his personality and voice. Super cool but not too cocky.

In the no time for the negative DVD he really goes into the feel part of the game and the visualization and even "hearing" the shot. I learned a 3, 4, and five rail kicking system that I will never forget that requires no math and really works good. Priceless.

In the almost everything I know series he goes more into the mathmatical systems but has gotten older and seems confused himself at times.

I still learned a lot and again I left inspired to be a better pool player.

Hope this thread helps someone.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

POWER ONE POCKET with Scott Frost:

I decided to get into one pocket more seriously this year and this DVD is GOLD. Scott shows so many great shots and strategies and really gives the whys as well. His delivery is well timed. (doesn't babble for too long to get the point across so you get a lot of good content.)

The stories were my favorite part. He sets up the two most incredible shots in the highest pressure situations and what happens is mind boggling. Lots of other hilarious stories too.

Most importantly I left feeling like one pocket is cool and I'm inspired to want to play it well. I've been setting up the shots he shows and getting them in my arsenal.

I was so excited about this because I really liked Cleary's free YouTube video he made about 90/90 voodoo aiming and thought a pivoting system might be a good way to teach some of my future students. The pro one production quality is 10 times better than power one pocket but I learned everything in Scott's DVD and literally nothing in Stan's. I watched it three times and was no where near making shots consistently like I was with the 90/90 system.

I feel like there needs to be a cte DVD for dummys. Stan is on another level mentally and the content can easily go over your head. I feel like it wasn't explained in detail enough. I've never been so frustrated just trying to understand let alone the fact that certain shots that were easy to replicate weren't going.

I was a top student in school and a Bca league MVP so I know how to shoot straight. So I feel if I'm confused I think a lot of others would too. Im truly happy for the people that get it but I just can't see myself promoting a system that requires a bunch of phone calls to Stan.

JIMMY REID's no time for the negative and almost everything I know and eight ball strategy:

Fell in love with Jimmy Reid over night. I started off with the eightball and learned a lot. He breaks a ton of racks and talks you through them and gives you the whys. I love his personality and voice. Super cool but not too cocky.

In the no time for the negative DVD he really goes into the feel part of the game and the visualization and even "hearing" the shot. I learned a 3, 4, and five rail kicking system that I will never forget that requires no math and really works good. Priceless.

In the almost everything I know series he goes more into the mathmatical systems but has gotten older and seems confused himself at times.

I still learned a lot and again I left inspired to be a better pool player.

I have only seen one of the three DVDs you've reviewed -- Stan's -- and can only say that I agree with you. I have not written a review myself yet because I'm still trying to give it a fair chance, but it is one real tough slog.

FWIW, I've been playing 40 years (at a relatively decent level), have occasionally given my own pool lessons when people insisted, and in a past life was an instructor who travel across the country teaching CEO-level peoples, so I have some concept of what good instruction is all about.

Lou Figueroa

champ2107

Banned
maybe you guys need to through your 40 years of experience and your bca mvp trophy out the window and start fresh. Maybe that is interfering with you leaning the system? i could be wrong but im just saying :thumbup:

STICKBNDER

Cajun Transplant
Silver Member
i feel the same way about Stans video. i just can seem to grab it. if fact i have been trying so much, i can get out a rack to save my life. i am about to go back to basics and try to reset my brain. i just cant for the life of me figure out where to get down on the shot. i totaly see the cte and the second line. (a b c) I cant get how to line up before the pivot. they shoot so many shots, and so much they go through.. i even took a picture of every table layout to get me some shots to practice. its not that simple...

champ2107

Banned
when i first learned how to shoot cte, there was no reference points that i new of, just the ctel and the half tip pivot. I learned to adjust my body position,bridge length to make the shot. Maybe you guys should start off that way? Find the ctel line then do a half tip pivot and use your own experience on whether your set up properly to make the shot.Then if you get the hang of it bring in the reference point lines.maybe that will help?

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a bad idea champ. The more I think about it just making your own system based on the way you see lines might be the best way to go.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i feel the same way about Stans video. i just can seem to grab it. if fact i have been trying so much, i can get out a rack to save my life. i am about to go back to basics and try to reset my brain. i just cant for the life of me figure out where to get down on the shot. i totaly see the cte and the second line. (a b c) I cant get how to line up before the pivot. they shoot so many shots, and so much they go through.. i even took a picture of every table layout to get me some shots to practice. its not that simple...

This post is a hijacking, but here goes. You can try two things on your alignment. Use both eyes for sighting the center to edge line and reference points at the same time. Or you may have a strong dominant eye and can try sighting both edges at the same time with this eye. Your alignment will change for one or the other. After you are aligned, move straight into the shot and pivot. Don't aim anything. Move straight into the shot and pivot. Once your visual alignment is noted, go to automatic and pivot.

Just trying to help. Thanks Luxury.

Best,
Mike

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a Nazi topic stickler. I think it's silly when ops list the rules of what can be talked about in "their" thread.

In normal life we let conversations go different directions and bring them back so it's cool.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Glad you liked the DVD. :thumbup:

I had some people ask me why so much?, I thought $40 was a bargain for 90 minutes of instruction and entertainment. One of these shots you pick up are worth that alone if your in tournaments or gambling. :)

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member

I really appreciate your honest review of this video. A friend of mine and I worked out a simple aiming system that improved my game many times over and i'm comfortable with it. When I first heard about this video I thought I had to be one of the first to get a copy thinking it would help my game even more, but then I thought that maybe I should wait to see how others liked it. If I was struggling with my game I would have ordered it right away, but i've been playing OK so I decided to wait. After reading numerous reviews about this video I think I made the right decision because I probably would have gotten confused trying to figure this system out and forgot what has been working well for me. I don't like systems that are complicated where you have to figure out what to do shot after shot. I believe in keeping it as simple as possible. This video may work great for others who can grasp what they are trying to explain, but it sounds like it is challenging for most of us.

James

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Glad you liked the DVD. :thumbup:

I had some people ask me why so much?, I thought $40 was a bargain for 90 minutes of instruction and entertainment. One of these shots you pick up are worth that alone if your in tournaments or gambling. :)

Lenny, your video was a bargain for all of the valuable tips.. Nice job!

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Lenny, your video was a bargain for all of the valuable tips.. Nice job!

Thanks I do appreciate it. I really wanted to make a DVD that I would buy and not feel like I got ripped off. Most DVDs for pool are the same old stuff just redone over and over by different guys. We could have done that but to me I wanted something fresh, new and different, we achieved that I feel and are helping to improve players who enjoy one pocket. :)

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Lenny you are the man. Really well thought out on your part. And really folks if You are going to support pool Lenny is the guy to help out. He does so much for pool with a family to boot. So you get an epic DVD and you are giving something back to pool.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Scott Frost Power one Pocket disc and the Scott Frost, Cliff Joyner match and am well satisfied with my purchase. I'm just getting interested in one pocket and interest in general seems to be picking up in this area. JR's Boomers(Sturtevant, Wi.) is trying to get together a tournament for which I have signed up.

I have just a few suggestions in case Lenny ever decides to issue an update. I would have liked to have seen some of Scott's examples carried a few steps further. I mean, I would have liked to see an opponent's return shots. Maybe Lenny could get Scott and Cliff together for something like this.

I understand that the match was not filmed under ideal circumstances. The lighting was not so good and there was only a single camera angle. For a non-expert viewer it was a bit difficult to keep up with the action. After two viewings I'm still not sure if they were playing winner breaks or alternate breaks. There is also one lengthy freeze in which a small bit of the action is lost.

Dave Nelson

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have the Scott Frost Power one Pocket disc and the Scott Frost, Cliff Joyner match and am well satisfied with my purchase. I'm just getting interested in one pocket and interest in general seems to be picking up in this area. JR's Boomers(Sturtevant, Wi.) is trying to get together a tournament for which I have signed up.

I have just a few suggestions in case Lenny ever decides to issue an update. I would have liked to have seen some of Scott's examples carried a few steps further. I mean, I would have liked to see an opponent's return shots. Maybe Lenny could get Scott and Cliff together for something like this.

I understand that the match was not filmed under ideal circumstances. The lighting was not so good and there was only a single camera angle. For a non-expert viewer it was a bit difficult to keep up with the action. After two viewings I'm still not sure if they were playing winner breaks or alternate breaks. There is also one lengthy freeze in which a small bit of the action is lost.

Dave Nelson

Hi Dave. The match was filmed using a simple hard drive camcorder, its edited down to 15 racks from the match, which is 2 hours long. The original match was 8 hours and alternating breaks, let me know what time on the DVD the freeze was at and I will look at it because I did not notice it. I was just glad to capture it but next time if I do something like this I will prepare more, to be honest I was not preparing to record it for a DVD, just to have and with some encouragement I released it. I think both videos could be better video quality wise and I am learning how to make improvements for better stuff in the future. Thanks for your review. :)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave...Just FYI, if you order the movie, Pool Hall Masters, it comes with a 2nd dvd that is a one pocket match between Gabe Owen and Sylver Ochoa. The movie was pretty good by itself. Getting the 1-pkt match was a nice bonus.

www.poolhallmasters.com

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I would have liked to have seen some of Scott's examples carried a few steps further. I mean, I would have liked to see an opponent's return shots. Maybe Lenny could get Scott and Cliff together for something like this.

Dave Nelson

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post is a hijacking, but here goes. You can try two things on your alignment. Use both eyes for sighting the center to edge line and reference points at the same time. Or you may have a strong dominant eye and can try sighting both edges at the same time with this eye. Your alignment will change for one or the other. After you are aligned, move straight into the shot and pivot. Don't aim anything. Move straight into the shot and pivot. Once your visual alignment is noted, go to automatic and pivot.

Just trying to help. Thanks Luxury.

Best,
Mike

I'm seeing the CTEL and the edge to A B or C but am only having success if I adjust as I'm getting down on the shot. I seem to make a slight adjustment as I am getting down. There is no conscious pivoting. My edge to A, B, or C is not always right on but seems to be getting a little more consistent. Hal taught me a "edge system" when he lived in No. Calif. Unfortunately I had to travel out of the country and didn't play pool for quite some time. When I started again I had forgotten the system. Now with CTEL I have another reference point to lock in with and I really feel that with practice I will have a very consistent aiming system. Maybe some day I can take a lesson with Stan and really learn the proper way to use his and Hal's system.

Lenny and Scott's DVD is absolute dynamite. Both the DVD and Scott were better than I had anticipated. I know it will help my game because it already has!

Next week I am going to watch Gabe's DVD. A friend told me that he can't remember when, if ever, two pieces of info on 1 Hole with so much content ever came on the market so close together. Everyone who enjoys the game should take advantage of this remarkable opportunity.