30 degree rule subtleties

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched Rollie's video with Dr. Dave a few times, and every time I watch it there a a few niggling details which leave me wondering about some things. I just discovered Dr. Dave's paper titled Peace Sign Subtleties, which cleared up those issues for me. I thought I would make this post in case Dr. Dave's paper might help someone else understand the subtleties of the 30 degree rule.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've watched Rollie's video with Dr. Dave a few times, and every time I watch it there a a few niggling details which leave me wondering about some things. I just discovered Dr. Dave's paper titled Peace Sign Subtleties, which cleared up those issues for me. I thought I would make this post in case Dr. Dave's paper might help someone else understand the subtleties of the 30 degree rule.
FYI, the videos here also cover the subtleties fairly well:

CB Control Tutorial

Check them out,
Dave

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This falls under the "spend 10 minutes learning something then 10 years learning how to do it under various conditions". The part that makes pool such a challenging game to play at a decent level.

Different speeds (and cloth conditions) means the angles change a bit, different spins change things, if the cueball is lighter or heavier changes thing. I've cursed the heavy bar cue ball many times but I have also used it's quirks as an advantage to thread through some positions and avoid hitting a ball where a normal weight cueball would have had me in a tough spot.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

FYI, the videos here also cover the subtleties fairly well:

CB Control Tutorial
This falls under the "spend 10 minutes learning something then 10 years learning how to do it under various conditions". The part that makes pool such a challenging game to play at a decent level.

Different speeds (and cloth conditions) means the angles change a bit, different spins change things, if the cueball is lighter or heavier changes thing. I've cursed the heavy bar cue ball many times but I have also used it's quirks as an advantage to thread through some positions and avoid hitting a ball where a normal weight cueball would have had me in a tough spot.
Have you seen the article and videos? I show how to make adjustments where necessary (e.g., stretching or relaxing the peace sign for different cut angle ranges, and shifting the peace sign down the tangent line based on speed, which can be also varied with conditions). Fortunately, heavy and oversized CBs are rare nowadays. For those interested, ball-weight-difference effects are covered here:

Ball Weight, Size, and Wear Effects

Enjoy,
Dave

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Angle, Speed, and Spin (cover your A.S.S.)...the ONLY three things in pool that we have any control over...none of which are the CB!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Angle, Speed, and Spin (cover your A.S.S.)...the ONLY three things in pool that we have any control over...none of which are the CB!
Agreed. But it is helpful to be able to predict where the CB will head based on various common angle/speed/spin combinations. That's where the 90 degree rule, 30 degree rule, and 3-times-the-angle systems are useful, especially for beginner to intermediate players who don't yet have perfect intuition and feel for where the CB goes.

Regards,
Dave

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely used the peace sign a bunch until my brain kicked in. Now I don’t think in numbers for cueball path but I totally can feel the vector of the tangent line sum up with the vector of the spin to create the new path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. But it is helpful to be able to predict where the CB will head based on various common angle/speed/spin combinations. That's where the 90 degree rule, 30 degree rule, and 3-times-the-angle systems are useful, especially for beginner to intermediate players who don't yet have perfect intuition and feel for where the CB goes.

Regards,
Dave
Yeah, I see way too many players here, when they have a winning shot on the 8-ball or 9-ball which is somewhere around or below the foot spot with the cue ball on the other end of the table. They are afraid to try to cut it in the corner, thinking it is a scratch shot, so they end up trying to do something stupid like trying to bank it or attempting to play the shot with draw - the only possible way to scratch. They don’t understand and see their carom angles to know that if they just roll the cue ball, they can cut it in and the cue ball will hit off the end cushion, no closer than half a diamond from the corner pocket.

Last edited: