30 Ways to Beat a POCKET BLOCKER

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates 30 different techniques useful in dealing with various 8-ball situations where your opponent has a pocket blocked by one of their balls. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 - Intro
0:13 - Follow Through Shots:
---- 1. Follow Through Blocker
---- 2. Small Gap Herd Follow
---- 3. Frozen Combo Follow with Draw
1:16 - Kisses, Caroms, and Tickies:
---- 4. Kiss Off Back of Blocker
---- 5. Tickie Off Blocker
---- 6. Kiss Off a Side Pocket Blocker to Corner
---- 7. Kiss Through Multiple Blockers
---- 8. Carom Clear
---- 9. Combo-Kiss Clear
---- 10. Short-Side Shape
---- 11. Follow Carom with Clearance
---- 12. Follow Tickie
4:37 - Bank Shots:
---- 13. Bank Escape
---- 14. Two-Rail Bank
---- 15. Bank with CB Pocket Clear
5:41 - Safeties:
---- 16. Blocker Replace Safety
---- 17. Two-Way Shot
---- 18. Carom Clear Safety
---- 19. Lockup Combo Safety Clear
---- 20. Hide Behind Blocker
---- 21. Inside Follow Hide Safety
8:36 - Advanced:
---- 22. Bank-Kiss Cross Corner
---- 23. Double-Kiss Ball into Pocket
---- 24. Kiss Back Cross Table
---- 25. Compress the Point
---- 26. Frozen Double Run
---- 27. Four-Rail Bank
11:56 - Jumps:
---- 28. Jump OB Over Blockers
---- 29. Jump Clip Clear Follow
---- 30. CB Jump into OB jump
14:44 - Wrap Up
15:07 - shot collage

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I learnt totally new shot for me!

I'm glad to hear it. Can you share the shot numbers or names of the ones that were new to you? I am curious to know.

I knew about all these shots, but there were quite a few I had never tried before (especially some of the "Advanced" and "Jump" options), so making the video was fun and excellent practice. It would also be an excellent drill for anybody wishing to expand their arsenal of shots.

Thanks Dave. That is not happening often nowadays :)

That's the great thing about this game. There are always new shots, techniques, and principles to learn.

Best regards,
Dave

Geosnookery

Thanks,

I like the visuals of this presentation…the tip placement on the cueball and slow motion.

I’ve done ‘a few ‘of these for decades but difficult in real time to know what the actual physics were. They just ‘worked’. Being able to see the action allows for a tiny adjustment for better post shot cueball placement instead of just potting the object ball.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks,

I like the visuals of this presentation…the tip placement on the cueball and slow motion.

I’ve done ‘a few ‘of these for decades but difficult in real time to know what the actual physics were. They just ‘worked’. Being able to see the action allows for a tiny adjustment for better post shot cueball placement instead of just potting the object ball.

You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it.

To me, understanding how shots work is critical to be able to execute similar shots (and even totally different related shots) when I face them in the future. I am not good at memorizing how to hit ever type of shot; but by understanding the important basic principles, I don't need to remember much.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it.

To me, understanding how shots work is critical to be able to execute similar shots (and even totally different related shots) when I face them in the future. I am not good at memorizing how to hit ever type of shot; but by understanding the important basic principles, I don't need to remember much.
I´ve actually not been able to play real too much lately but i have been learning to play carom games on Shooters Pool billiard simulation.
I play there mostly with Korean pro player who also teach me stuff sometimes. He also stated he does not like memory shots. Meaning you need to understand shots to learn them and adjust if needed.

Ps. That 2 balls frozen near pocket on 10:23 what i did not know.. or more like i never thought it..

Last edited:

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates 30 different techniques useful in dealing with various 8-ball situations where your opponent has a pocket blocked by one of their balls. Check it out:

---- 8. Carom Clear
---- 9. Combo-Kiss Clear
---- 12. Follow Tickie
---- 13. Bank Escape
---- 14. Two-Rail Bank
---- 17. Two-Way Shot
---- 22. Kick-Kiss Cross Corner
---- 27. Four-Rail Bank

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
Excellent post.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I´ve actually not been able to play real too much lately but i have been learning to play carom games on Shooters Pool billiard simulation.
I play there mostly with Korean pro player who also teach me stuff sometimes. He also stated he does not like memory shots. Meaning you need to understand shots to learn them and adjust if needed.

I like that phrase: "memory shots."

Like you Korean buddy, I prefer "understanding shots."

Ps. That 2 balls frozen near pocket on 10:23 what i did not know.. or more like i never thought it..

I learned that one from Tin Man. FYI, I cover the shot in detail, with other options, in this series of videos:

1.) What Would You Do Here, With Both Balls Frozen to the Rail?
2.) What Would You Do Here? - Safety Follow-Up
3.) What Would You Do Here? – Final Chapter: How to Win

Check them out.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent post.

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I enjoyed recording it, and it was excellent practice. I now feel more ready for these shots when they come up in game situations.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

---- 8. Carom Clear
---- 9. Combo-Kiss Clear
---- 12. Follow Tickie
---- 13. Bank Escape
---- 14. Two-Rail Bank
---- 17. Two-Way Shot
---- 22. Bank-Kiss Cross Corner
---- 27. Four-Rail Bank

Enjoy!

Can anybody think of any reasonable blocked-pocket shot options that would have been good to include in the video? Whenever I do long-list videos like this, I often overlook some simple options.

Pool Hand Luke

I don't remember if you included this or not, but after seeing your video I was inspired to try a shot I might never have thought of.
I was playing 8 ball with the 1 and 15 ball side pocket option. My last ball, the 1 was sitting in front of the right side pocket but I was hooked behind the 12 almost directly across and just outside my opponent's left side pocket. I can't jump, but after a moment I thought I remembered something from this or another of your videos about kicking off the side pocket point so that is what I decided to do.
I aimed at the upper point with center low and hit it square off the point rebounding at a right angle for a direct hit on the 1 into the side and just the right speed to leave me straight in on the 8, which I proceeded to make and win the game.
After the game was over my opponent asked me to set it up again so he could try and he and I both missed on 5 attempts.
Better to be lucky than good.
Thanks for another great video and sharing so much of your knowledge to help so many of us.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't remember if you included this or not, but after seeing your video I was inspired to try a shot I might never have thought of.
I was playing 8 ball with the 1 and 15 ball side pocket option. My last ball, the 1 was sitting in front of the right side pocket but I was hooked behind the 12 almost directly across and just outside my opponent's left side pocket. I can't jump, but after a moment I thought I remembered something from this or another of your videos about kicking off the side pocket point so that is what I decided to do.
I aimed at the upper point with center low and hit it square off the point rebounding at a right angle for a direct hit on the 1 into the side and just the right speed to leave me straight in on the 8, which I proceeded to make and win the game.
After the game was over my opponent asked me to set it up again so he could try and he and I both missed on 5 attempts.
Better to be lucky than good.

Thank you for sharing. I did not include that option in this video. Another option, if the 1 weren't so deep in the side pocket, would be to come off the point to kick the 1 toward the corner.

Thanks for another great video and sharing so much of your knowledge to help so many of us.

You're welcome. I aim to swerve. 🤓

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can anybody think of any reasonable blocked-pocket shot options that would have been good to include in the video? Whenever I do long-list videos like this, I often overlook some simple options.

Anybody else have any ideas, simple or advanced?

Thanks,
Dave