40’s eyesight changing

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m 44 and my close up vision is just starting to change.

I’ve worn glasses since I was in the 4th grade, and have been able to see both near and far perfectly since (with glasses on). Without the glasses, I couldn’t see the big E on the eye chart. I was very nearsighted my whole life.

Now with my eyes changing, I notice with my glasses on, I can’t focus nearly as close as I used to. And with my glasses off, I can read further from my face than before.

Bringing this back to pool, my question is, will there be a short period of time when I’ll be able to see the whole pool table “without any glasses”. Has anyone experienced that? Maybe something to look forward to in this “getting older” stage?

Thanks.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like bifocals might be in your future. For me, that was a big adjustment. Head position becomes even more important, a slight tilt can change things dramatically.

Like you, I’m (extremely) nearsighted, but as I age it becomes better. If I live to 100 I may not even need glasses!

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My story:: sorry for the length.

I am currently 70, I started wearing glasses in front of CRTs at about 30, and wore glasses for 40 years. I just though of them as the cost of getting old.....

About 15-10 years ago my accommodation got to the point that I needed bifocal glasses to play pool and see the balls well enough. It took several tries with my optometrist to get the distant part of the bifocals between 6' and 9', and to get the near end set at 2.5' to 4'. And once we got the lenses dialed in it was great for about 10 years. Bifocals work great, but you get a perspective change from the top lens and the bottom lens so it takes time to get used to the "bent" cue in your vision. Head placement to minimize the bent shaft became mandatory.

Somewhere about 3 years ago I noticed that I was having significant problems focusing my telescope to my right (dominant) eye and that there was a different color spectrum in the right and left eyes. The focusing problem was getting worse and worse.

Then about 1.5 years ago I started to notice the light bulbs in the house were getting dim, so I went out and bought a whole house full of brighter light bulbs. And during my yearly visit to my optometrist, she referred me to another doctor for cataract surgery. I had surgery Jan 11 and Jan 18.

Two things::
a) it is so BLUE out--my entire color perspective has changed, I can see a little bit into the ultra-violet-its a bit weird. Until about 2015 I had driven with sunglasses, and then found I didn't need them anymore. Now with these new lenses--everything is so bright. I tried driving to a post-op dr. visit and the blue sky made my eyes water like I have not seen in 40-odd years.
b) Even though I had both eyes set to infinity focus, now that my eyes have healed from surgery, I can use a computer screen at 30" and I don't need any correction at the pool table. I don't need glasses to watch TV, and I can read with $12 glasses from the grocery store.

I am planning to get dimmer bulbs for the house, too........

If you can afford to do it (or you are on a medical plan where someone else will pay for it) do not delay.

It is that great !! I am almost back to the eyes I had at 14 !!!! (Which in my case worked very well indeed_

Watch out......on the pool table.

Last edited:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might consider if a pair of billiard or snooker glasses will work for you.
I just ordered my 2nd pair from Snookerspex.com in the UK.
I never had to wear glasses until my mid 50s and I am 70 now. Just the more usual need for a bifocal kind of glasses.
A lot probably depends on just what problems you have with your eyesight.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I can’t recall what it was exactly. But I’m 42 and at my last eye exam, the eye doctor said something about it being natural to not be able to see things as close up as you age. Forgot what it was called. But has nothing to do with the strength of your vision. im no Dr, but since you are nearsighted maybe your vision hasn’t really changed per se but your focus has shifted forward a bit.

Just looked it up Presbyopia

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t recall what it was exactly. But at my last eye exam, the eye doctor said something about it being natural to not be able to see things as close up as you age. Forgot what it was called. But has nothing to do with the strength of your vision. Maybe since you are nearsighted your vision hasn’t changed but your focus has shifted forward a bit.

Right, exactly. So my question is as this progresses, will there become a "magic period" somewhere along the line where the pool balls/table will be in focus (without normal glasses or reading glasses)? I figure it would only be for a short time, maybe a year. I just don't know if the sharp focus point during the change in the eyes will go far enough out to see the balls/table clearly.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t recall what it was exactly. But I’m 42 and at my last eye exam, the eye doctor said something about it being natural to not be able to see things as close up as you age. Forgot what it was called. But has nothing to do with the strength of your vision. im no Dr, but since you are nearsighted maybe your vision hasn’t really changed per se but your focus has shifted forward a bit.

Presbyopia attacks most people between 40 and 50.

Presbyopia is the lack of accommodation in focusing. Your eyes, in effect, become restricted in what distances they will focus, some get close up (reading to TV watching), others get distance (driving to TV watching.)

I blame TV watching personally..........

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
So my question is as this progresses, will there become a "magic period" somewhere along the line where the pool balls/table will be in focus
I certainly hope so. We’re rowing the same boat; I recently joined the fourth floor (41) and have noticed my vision changing.

I keep remembering the Doc telling my pops, “let’s hope we all live long enough to get cataracts.” Thankful I’m not there yet, but hope I’ll make it.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myself- started wearing eye glasses for distance only at age 15, could see close up reading no problem without eye glasses.

---age 68 no longer need any eye glasses for distance including pool table ( how great is that!) and can read fairly well still without reading glasses

--- Not everyone gets this lucky where the eye , with age, focuses better for distance and still fairly well for close up -

---- Eye doctor explained to me that the poorer distance vision in youth was caused by an eye ball that was too long so that the images were focusing in front of the perfect eye lens spot, with age, eye balls shrink, so now the images are focusing very close to the proper lens spot for distance, and, luckily, my close up has not deteriorated with age as much as most folk's eyes normally will lose close up vision.

---- Net gain for me is much better overall vision with age- fairly rare. I went from about 20/80 to 20/30 distance in my late 60s and can still read without glasses fairly well.

---- I wish you the same net results and hope that nature is as kind to your eyes as what I have experienced so far. I just love playing pool now without glasses or contacts.

---- However, cataracts will most probably be the next eyesight roadblock as I age further- cross that bridge when I come to it - for now, enjoying my new found clarity.

----My mom is 99 and can still see like a hawk!

tomatoshooter

Presbyopia attacks most people between 40 and 50.

Presbyopia is the lack of accommodation in focusing. Your eyes, in effect, become restricted in what distances they will focus, some get close up (reading to TV watching), others get distance (driving to TV watching.)

I blame TV watching personally..........
I've noticed after looking at my phone that I takes a little time before I can focus farther away. I can definitely believe that focusing on something at a fixed distance can degrade the ability to focus at other distances, just like any other muscle stiffening up from lack of movement.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Right, exactly. So my question is as this progresses, will there become a "magic period" somewhere along the line where the pool balls/table will be in focus (without normal glasses or reading glasses)? I figure it would only be for a short time, maybe a year. I just don't know if the sharp focus point during the change in the eyes will go far enough out to see the balls/table clearly.
The answer to your question is no. Your nearsightedness will be the same and you won't be able to read without bi focals. I have no idea why the oldsters in this thread think you should run out and get cataract surgery when you clearly don't have them?

If I were you I would have gotten laser surgery to correct your near sightedness long ago. It's quick, easy and as far as surgeries go pretty safe.

Then as you age all you have to worry about is your reading and of course other age related things like cataracts. I choose to wear soft contact lens' instead of reading glasses. It may not be too late I would talk to an ophthalmologist. Glasses and pool suck.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My story:: sorry for the length.

I am currently 70, I started wearing glasses in front of CRTs at about 30, and wore glasses for 40 years. I just though of them as the cost of getting old.....

About 15-10 years ago my accommodation got to the point that I needed bifocal glasses to play pool and see the balls well enough. It took several tries with my optometrist to get the distant part of the bifocals between 6' and 9', and to get the near end set at 2.5' to 4'. And once we got the lenses dialed in it was great for about 10 years. Bifocals work great, but you get a perspective change from the top lens and the bottom lens so it takes time to get used to the "bent" cue in your vision. Head placement to minimize the bent shaft became mandatory.

Somewhere about 3 years ago I noticed that I was having significant problems focusing my telescope to my right (dominant) eye and that there was a different color spectrum in the right and left eyes. The focusing problem was getting worse and worse.

Then about 1.5 years ago I started to notice the light bulbs in the house were getting dim, so I went out and bought a whole house full of brighter light bulbs. And during my yearly visit to my optometrist, she referred me to another doctor for cataract surgery. I had surgery Jan 11 and Jan 18.

Two things::
a) it is so BLUE out--my entire color perspective has changed, I can see a little bit into the ultra-violet-its a bit weird. Until about 2015 I had driven with sunglasses, and then found I didn't need them anymore. Now with these new lenses--everything is so bright. I tried driving to a post-op dr. visit and the blue sky made my eyes water like I have not seen in 40-odd years.
b) Even though I had both eyes set to infinity focus, now that my eyes have healed from surgery, I can use a computer screen at 30" and I don't need any correction at the pool table. I don't need glasses to watch TV, and I can read with $12 glasses from the grocery store.

I am planning to get dimmer bulbs for the house, too........

If you can afford to do it (or you are on a medical plan where someone else will pay for it) do not delay.

It is that great !! I am almost back to the eyes I had at 14 !!!! (Which in my case worked very well indeed_

Watch out......on the pool table.
Same story for me. Cataract surgery was AMAZING! I wear contact lens now for reading only and my vision at the table is fantastic.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed after looking at my phone that I takes a little time before I can focus farther away. I can definitely believe that focusing on something at a fixed distance can degrade the ability to focus at other distances, just like any other muscle stiffening up from lack of movement.
Presbyopia is not a muscle becoming weak.
Presbyopia is the eye lens becoming increasingly stiffer (less pliant) and the muscle cannot cause the focal length to change as much as when you were young.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The answer to your question is no. Your nearsightedness will be the same and you won't be able to read without bi focals. I have no idea why the oldsters in this thread think you should run out and get cataract surgery when you clearly don't have them?

If I were you I would have gotten laser surgery to correct your near sightedness long ago. It's quick, easy and as far as surgeries go pretty safe.

Then as you age all you have to worry about is your reading and of course other age related things like cataracts. I choose to wear soft contact lens' instead of reading glasses. It may not be too late I would talk to an ophthalmologist. Glasses and pool suck.
i enjoy playing pool with my glasses very much

Jack Fate

60 years using glasses :
Bifocals give close up 0”-18” and far distance
Tri-focals 0-18”. Then 18”to around 8’ then beyond.
Play pool it’s the mid range
Highly dependent “your “ needs
At 60+ for me it’s the mids
Optical people that care & understand are what you you need .

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not a lot of things freak me out, but getting near my eyes is one of them. I can’t even put drops in them. So contacts and/or laser was never an option for me. Thanks for the reply.
Myself- started wearing eye glasses for distance only at age 15, could see close up reading no problem without eye glasses.

---age 68 no longer need any eye glasses for distance including pool table ( how great is that!) and can read fairly well still without reading glasses

--- Not everyone gets this lucky where the eye , with age, focuses better for distance and still fairly well for close up -

---- Eye doctor explained to me that the poorer distance vision in youth was caused by an eye ball that was too long so that the images were focusing in front of the perfect eye lens spot, with age, eye balls shrink, so now the images are focusing very close to the proper lens spot for distance, and, luckily, my close up has not deteriorated with age as much as most folk's eyes normally will lose close up vision.

---- Net gain for me is much better overall vision with age- fairly rare. I went from about 20/80 to 20/30 distance in my late 60s and can still read without glasses fairly well.

---- I wish you the same net results and hope that nature is as kind to your eyes as what I have experienced so far. I just love playing pool now without glasses or contacts.

---- However, cataracts will most probably be the next eyesight roadblock as I age further- cross that bridge when I come to it - for now, enjoying my new found clarity.

----My mom is 99 and can still see like a hawk!
Ok! We have one person that experienced first hand what I was asking about:) I'll take that as a win, and hope for the same:)

Last edited: