5/16 "14

PoolTrip

You rackem!
Silver Member
Asking all ya woodys,

Can a 5/16"14 FLAT face shaft fit a 5/16"14 PILOTED jointed butt?

Is it gona be nice and firmly jointed if it fits?

PoolTrip

You rackem!
Silver Member
iusedtoberich said:
YES. No problem. You just can't do the opposite: piloted shaft onto flat faced butt.

Thanks ex-millionaire. Will it be snug and tight? The piloted space in the butt causes any loss alignment, power?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You shouldn't have any problems. For example, when you put an aftermarket shaft on a custom cue that originally had a snug fitting pilot, the aftermarket shaft's pilot won't even touch the walls of the butt's recess. This doesn't cause any problems. The shaft still aligns well and stays tight. You possibly might notice a difference in feel, but the function of the shaft will be fine. Everyone who plays with aftermarket shafts unless they have their cuemaker custom fit them is in the same boat.

Last edited:

WalkerInTN

Mr. Entertainment
Silver Member
You'll also need to keep in mind that on a piloted joint, the pin doesn't stick out of the joint as far, due to part of the joint surface being part of the piloted area. Some of the threads are below the top of the piloted joint, which will mean less threads able to go into the flat faced shaft joint.

Think about it like this. Take a flat faced joint pin & cut half its length off. The half that's left is what you'll be using to secure the shaft. That half a pin won't hold the shaft as securely as the whole pin would.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
How long is your pilot?

WalkerInTN said:
You'll also need to keep in mind that on a piloted joint, the pin doesn't stick out of the joint as far, due to part of the joint surface being part of the piloted area. Some of the threads are below the top of the piloted joint, which will mean less threads able to go into the flat faced shaft joint.

Think about it like this. Take a flat faced joint pin & cut half its length off. The half that's left is what you'll be using to secure the shaft. That half a pin won't hold the shaft as securely as the whole pin would.
I would doubt it is actually half the pin lenght. Plus part of that does not even have threads.
I have been using both a Predator and OB1 flat faced on a piloted cue for years. They work just fine. They Never come loose

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It will work okay. If the hollow sound from the pilot hole not having anything in it bothers you, take a ear plug or similar material and work it in until it fills the hole up.

PoolTrip

You rackem!
Silver Member
iusedtoberich said:
You shouldn't have any problems. For example, when you put an aftermarket shaft on a custom cue that originally had a snug fitting pilot, the aftermarket shaft's pilot won't even touch the walls of the butt's recess. This doesn't cause any problems. The shaft still aligns well and stays tight. You possibly might notice a difference in feel, but the function of the shaft will be fine. Everyone who plays with aftermarket shafts unless they have their cuemaker custom fit them is in the same boat.

Got the milk, thanks. When will ya be rich again?

PoolTrip

You rackem!
Silver Member
WalkerInTN said:

spot on, that was what I was thinking about. Thanks Walker!

PoolTrip

You rackem!
Silver Member
rackem said:
I would doubt it is actually half the pin lenght. Plus part of that does not even have threads.
I have been using both a Predator and OB1 flat faced on a piloted cue for years. They work just fine. They Never come loose

Your actual experience helps tons. Thanks rackem!

PoolTrip

You rackem!
Silver Member
cueman said:
It will work okay. If the hollow sound from the pilot hole not having anything in it bothers you, take a ear plug or similar material and work it in until it fills the hole up.

Great idea! All along the Hightower!
I may have the perfect sound dampening foam material to do that;)
Thanks sir!

PoolTrip

You rackem!
Silver Member
Paul Dayton said:
You'll never notice a difference and I don't think a danpener will be needed..

Got that Paul, thanks! Hey come to think about it, haven seen any cues from you lately. Are you sleeping on the job ;)