6 Ball as a whole

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I've always enjoyed watching a good 6 ball player, but found very few who had good to great breaks.

Have you ever seen anyone who has a great 6 ball break?
Did you ever know anyone who was just really good at the game?

There was a local legend type of player who got action from all across the US in this one bar here in town.
Bet what you want, pockets never went dry, and that is all the guy played, 6 ball in this bar.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember some guy telling me Cotton strung 36 racks on a proposition. Ghost I recall. Never knew who that was until he started commentating on YTube.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Making a ball on the break was so tough in six ball that hustlers routinely offered the break as a spot to unsuspecting customers just to get them into action. I've seen both George "Ginky" San Souci and Jimmy Fusco employ this tactic.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The existence of six ball derives completely from bar table pool. Those who played nine-ball on a coin operated bar table usually had six balls left over when the game was over. Rather than putting in more coins, players found a game to play with the other six balls. Six-ball, consequently, was often played using the 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 ball with the 15 being the money ball. Been there, done that.

Last edited:

phreaticus

The existence of six ball derives completely from bar table pool. Those who played nine-ball on a coin operated bar table usually had six balls left over when the game was over. Rather than putting more coins, players found a game to play with the other six balls. Six-ball, consequently, was often played using the 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 ball with the 15 being the money ball. Been there, done that.
Absolutely, 9b +6b on Valleys has always been my favorite bar box game. Ideally, with $$ on the 5, 9, and 15 balls & double the payout on B&Rs. 3 $ balls & 2 quick racks of rotation for the quarters. Playing even cheap $5-10 a ball can add up quick. Super fast, efficient, great for ring games. Its not popular in the dive bars I hang out in these days, but I rope folks into it whenever I can,

6b break is definitely tough to make a ball. I like the idea of spotting the 6b breaks to turn it around. Also, someone mentioned in another thread that giving up the 5th ball (14b) with the breaks is actually an advantage - I’ll have to experiment with that a bit.

Learning new tricks in these threads, good stuff, thanks!

Reactions: sjm

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 9 ball ring games for quarters while in college at the college game room, not coin op. I worked part time in the game room so when it was slow we played for free. Now we play occasionally at a friends house for dollars rotating between Kelly pool, 3 ball, bank pool, and 15 ball rotation with money on the 5, 10, and 15. Fun for a small group.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 9 ball ring games for quarters while in college at the college game room, not coin op. I worked part time in the game room so when it was slow we played for free. Now we play occasionally at a friends house for dollars rotating between Kelly pool, 3 ball, bank pool, and 15 ball rotation with money on the 5, 10, and 15. Fun for a small group.
If you have 4 players 1 & 5 or also known as Chicago is a great game.
Also getting a Keno board is also a lot of fun for 2 to 4 or more players.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Making a ball on the break was so tough in six ball that hustlers routinely offered the break as a spot to unsuspecting customers just to get them into action. I've seen both George "Ginky" San Souci and Jimmy Fusco employ this tactic.
I always gave up the break in 6 ball. Only low level players back in the day would fall for that hustle.

Last edited:

BlueRaider

Registered
A buddy and I used to play 6 ball a lot (both C players at the time). It was sort of like pretending to play high level 9 ball because we could actually break and run multiple times per session and string racks. Which meant that a single miss or positional blunder could potentially be very costly, much like 9-ball among very strong players.

phreaticus

A buddy and I used to play 6 ball a lot (both C players at the time). It was sort of like pretending to play high level 9 ball because we could actually break and run multiple times per session and string racks. Which meant that a single miss or positional blunder could potentially be very costly, much like 9-ball among very strong players.
Exactly! 9b+6b is how B+ players string together 3+ packs.

7-ball always looked cool also, but never met anyone who played it.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 6 and 7 ball are actually quite appropriate for C players- runouts are possible at that level, but not a sure thing like it is for higher level players. I'm just an average player, so 7 ball was challenging enough.

follownoone

Registered
I play a race to five almost every day against the ghost in 6 ball and I thought it was just me..... but I only have made a ball on the break once in months of playing. I did move the 6 up to the spot and was able to make a ball occasionally. I am glad reading this thread that it wasn't my break being the problem. BTW - I have never beat the ghost in a race to five but come close all of the time. Once I dogged a 6 that would have been my first win. Usually it is 5-2 or 5-3.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One on the spot. Cue ball just short of one diamond from the long rail and just short of two diamonds from short rail. Don't crush it, but hit it firm. Just a shade to the right, with a little high right. The six ball will get moving, often goes in the corner pocket right under you. I have to play the six ball ghost, cause I can't handle the nine ball beast.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Come to Houston and you can all the 6 Ball Action you want! There are four bars, one is an after hours, that have 6 Ball action all the time..., be sure to lock your car!!
This really doesn't add anything to the OP.
Come to Houston and you can all the 6 Ball Action you want! There are four bars, one is an after hours, that have 6 Ball action all the time..., be sure to lock your car!!

tomatoshooter

but I only have made a ball on the break once in months of playing.
Maybe my table breaks weird, breaking head on, the two corner balls hit the end rail just inside of the corner pocket and go 4 rails into the pocket. Not every time, of course, but it happens a bit. Maybe once in ten games.

I can't handle the nine ball beast.
I just play a race to one, if I get the 9 on the break I win! Otherwise I get crushed.