8 ball, 9 ball, or 10 ball?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In terms of watching pros, I like 10 ball. It’s a bit more challenging for them than 9 ball. In terms of playing, I prefer 9 ball because my ability level- for my speed, it is plenty challenging enough especially with tight pockets.

I also enjoy bar table 8 ball- both watching and playing, but I prefer 9 ball over 8 ball. I like the simplicity and rapidity of the game

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
With 8 ball; i enjoy having multiple object balls, and choosing how to attempt to run them.

With 9 ball; I enjoy the constant pressure, that if I miss, the other player picks up right where I left off.

You can get ahead of the other player in 8 ball; but not so in 9 ball.

I really enjoy both games.

10 ball with called shots offers an alternative, which protects 9 ball as a fast and loose game.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I see it (and we all know of my high opinion of myself..) 9 ball is a bit more difficult to run out overall just because if you miss position you have no other OB to go after. And you have only 1 pattern to play basically. You can choose 2 rails instead of 1 sometimes or a side pocket instead of corner but the break pretty much gives you one road map to follow, where in 8 ball you have many different patterns available if you break well.

But 9 ball also has tons more luck as in a lesser skilled player being able to pick up games like when you: scratch while making the 6 or 7, hang the 8, hang the 9. Yeah not luck per se but kinda.

In 8 ball if you’re much more skilled than your opponent it’s very possible you could win every game indefinitely since they will always have to make all their balls and the 8. I’ve played beginner type players where I’ve struggled to have them actually win a game.

Anyway, don’t know where I’m going with my analysis but I do love 8 ball and don’t see why more people don’t play it seriously.

And atlas the APA 9 ball runs off points instead of racks so what I said about lesser players picking up easy games from mistakes doesn’t really apply. You get 1 point per ball, 2 for the 9, and you play to a certain number. Kinda cool.

This is why I think 9 ball is actually easier. Your opponent has only one way to win

also. In 8 ball things change every time it is your shot. You need to come up with

different plans to execute and win the game. It is a different pattern for you and your

opponent. In 9 ball, it is the same. Whoever can execute that pattern first wins. In 8

ball, you can win by disrupting the opponents pattern.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball to play. I find it easier to get a match. 9 ball to watch. There's just so much quality archived video of 9 ball matches from the last 30 years available which I enjoy watching.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
This is why I think 9 ball is actually easier. Your opponent has only one way to win

also. In 8 ball things change every time it is your shot. You need to come up with

different plans to execute and win the game. It is a different pattern for you and your

opponent. In 9 ball, it is the same. Whoever can execute that pattern first wins. In 8

ball, you can win by disrupting the opponents pattern.

I can agree with all that, and I also think it’s easier to play safeties in 9 ball at least during the early to mid stages of a rack.
My comment up there was to the ease of a break and run in each game type.

It’s really hard to compare them though the more I think about it.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
8 ball to play. I find it easier to get a match. 9 ball to watch. There's just so much quality archived video of 9 ball matches from the last 30 years available which I enjoy watching.

Watching Earl and Efren battle at 9 ball, is top notch entertainment. I wish they'd play again. I never get tired of seeing them go at it.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a player I prefer 9-ball of those 3. I think one pocket is probably my favorite game at the moment though. As a spectator, same thing actually. People tend to think 10-ball presents more of a challenge than 9-ball but that's not really the case anymore at the top level. I would say 9 on the spot is more interesting than magic rack 10-ball. Love watching one pocket though, because I really try to treat it like an educational experience. I'm lucky enough there are a handful of near-world-class one pocket players in my pool room to watch any given day.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was coming up, 8 ball was only played by girls and sometimes at the youth center at local churches. No serious pool player would even admit to knowing what it was. 10 ball was never even heard of.

9 ball and 1 pocket were the only serious games for action at any pool hall I was ever in.
"Straight pool" was occasionally played by the real old guys, as was snooker. But the serious action centered mostly around 9 ball.

I guess you tend to stick with the things you grew up with.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And atlas the APA 9 ball runs off points instead of racks so what I said about lesser players picking up easy games from mistakes doesn’t really apply. You get 1 point per ball, 2 for the 9, and you play to a certain number. Kinda cool.

Going by ^^^^^^^^ statement, you should really, really, really LOVE:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Oh I do. I also hate it lol...tough game to master. Anyone with some skills can run racks in the usual games but 14.1 shows you where you’re at in the long run...31 :)

I’ve been playing with 10 balls and just eliminating the last row lately. It’s a fun way to get some practice with the later stages of a rack and setting up a good break but I know sometime soon I’ll have to step up my game and go back to the full rack

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh I do. I also hate it lol...tough game to master. Anyone with some skills can run racks in the usual games but 14.1 shows you where you’re at in the long run...31 :)

I’ve been playing with 10 balls and just eliminating the last row lately. It’s a fun way to get some practice with the later stages of a rack and setting up a good break but I know sometime soon I’ll have to step up my game and go back to the full rack

Keys to 14.1:

I wouldn't practice breaking without the entire rack...vvvvv
By doing so, it will effect your abilities to understand how the cb goes into and comes off/out of the rack. A bad break shot can happen for "x" number of reasons cloth being dirty, ball are bad...not able to freeze etc...etc but, dont let the reason be because you used the wrong spin or no spin or to much spin or speed with stun and not using the entire rack will not afford you the experience you need to see exactly what your looking at while trying to pick those all to important key/break balls...and then, how to shoot them.

All balls are the same importance......vvvvvv
To many people look at 14.1 as if the break shot and key ball are more important. Well, that type of thinking will for sure cause you grief. It will almost, without fail, cause you to not play the game of inches and go back to 9ball mentality and before you know it....your out of line and have no out.

Insurance on EACH & EVERY SHOT.......unless there isn't one. Look at it like painting yourself into a corner. Pay attention early and leave yourself an out if at all possible.

The key balls....vvvvvv
Learn to spot them early but, dont let accidentally nudging it cause you to become mentally broke.....(being negative toward yourself)....if you have an "insurance to the key"....insurance is everything but, at some point in EVERY inning, you have to stay with and shoot "the balls" as its the only option left because at some point, it will be the only option.

EVERY INCH is extremely important.vvvvvvvvv
You dont shoot for a zone, you shoot for spot of "inches".....otherwise, even if your Efren or the like, your magic "shot making" abilities will fail you and end your run where playing shape so tight your within an inch will take you much further.

There are plenty of people that are far more knowledgeable and skilled at 14.1 (and other games as well) than I am. Have your purchased any 14.1 instruction materials on pattern play? If not, i HIGHLY recommend you to do so. There are several books, DVDs instructors that are more than worth their price.

Have a good one,

Jeff

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those who have responded in favor of 9 ball, which racking/breaking method and rules do you prefer?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like playing both but I don't see the correlation between 9B and 14.1? Two totally different games. 9B is my all time favorite because it's a fast and loose game, 14.1 is generally a slower game, which means patience is required.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who have responded in favor of 9 ball, which racking/breaking method and rules do you prefer?

Opponent racks, inspect it if you want but no reracks
Triangle rack (no template)
Break however you wish as long as it is a legal break ie 1 ball hit first, 4 balls to a rail.
Im also a fan of no golden breaks, 9 always spots

Instead of enforcing the basic concepts of sportsmanship, "pool" in all of its infinite wisdom caters to cheats, and changes rules at the drop of a hat to placate the whiners, who are usually the ones who try to game the system. :thumbup:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I like playing both but I don't see the correlation between 9B and 14.1? Two totally different games. 9B is my all time favorite because it's a fast and loose game, 14.1 is generally a slower game, which means patience is required.

It was the APA point scoring for 9 ball that brought 14.1 up.

Thanks for that JC. I haven’t looked at 14.1 specific instruction yet. Just watched many matches and a few instructional high runs. I’m in between what I really want to focus on right now but I do like straight pool a lot when I’m playing well and get a little run going so maybe I will dive deep.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm old school so generally prefer a wooden rack but I've been using a template rack recently and beginning to get a feel for it.

Ask again in 6 months.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Standard wooden rack, 1 on the spot, winner breaks, push out after break if you don't have a path to the low ball. 9 at any time wins the rack, except on a scratch or other foul.

Last edited: