8 Ball In The Corner Pocket....Or Not!

8-Ball

Here's a question:

If the cue ball didn't hit a rail, would it be considered a foul?

R.S.
 
RichZuHaus said:
Here's a question:

If the cue ball didn't hit a rail, would it be considered a foul?

R.S.

I believe the answer to that would be yes. The rule states that either the cue ball or the object ball must hit a rail after contact or a ball must be pocketed. If this doesnt happen, technically, this criteria wasnt reached.

Southpaw
 
Last edited:
That's some crazy stuff.

And I thought that if the ob went past the spot where the rails point of contact would be if they continued if the ob came back on the table it was considered a rail
 
RichZuHaus said:
Here's a question:

If the cue ball didn't hit a rail, would it be considered a foul?

R.S.

I think that if the ref considered what is the spirit of the rule, it would not be ruled a foul. "Rail after contact" in my opinion, means, "part of the table that is not the bed after contact".

To play devil's advocate, couldn't we say that it's a foul anytime a ball is not pocketed? After all, the ball never actually touches the cushion; it touches the cloth that covers the cushion. :D
 
I remember a year or so ago, Biiliards Digest had this situation in their "You Make The Call" section and it said according to BCA rules, this would be considered a foul, but only because of the wording of the rule. No rail after contact and no ball pocketed is a foul.

Southpaw
 
Maybe they should go back to leather pockets? :rolleyes:

Either that or maybe put a bean bag at the bottom of the pocket.
 
Southpaw said:
This would be really sick. I have had it happen where it hit the back of the pocket and jumped back out, but never the bottom of the pocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSTgiutScEk&feature=related

Southpaw


yeah it's a tough break alright. i actually saw a match with jeanett lee and her husband playing doubles. he put a couple of balls in the pocket because he thought that might happen. the ball won't bounce off the bottom of the pocket if there're balls for it to hit before the bottom
 
I'd concede the game if that happened to my opponent... Unless the pocket was full of balls and she was too lazy to clear it...

I'd never take a win that way... And nobody should... its a gentlemans game, remember...
 
The Fix

The way to fix that problem is replace table with Diamond!:eek: :D

I've both seen it happen and had it happen to me on BW tables. Never had it happen on my Diamond, even slamming a ball in.

Ray
 
Was it me or did he also hit the 8 alittle hard? That was awfully close (cue from the 8) and the 8 from the hole to hit it that hard IMO. But I have to admit I've never seen a ball go that far down then come out, that is something else. I would have slow rolled that cut for sure.
 
Back
Top