8 ball or 9 ball which do you find more difficult?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not so sure about that. I lose way more matches in 9 ball to lesser players than i do 8 ball. Perhaps its because of the scoring points system in apa 9 ball. They tend to go for broke on hard shots and somethimg falls somewhere and more often than not they are good on their next ball.

I shut out lower levels all the time in 8 ball. Not to say some do not get lucky in 8 ball but no one goes for broke at warp speed in 8 ball like they do 9 ball for fear of making an early 8.

Don't count APA or league games as normal ways to play. Really what you need to do is count wins like a "real" pool match. Especially with how APA counts ball points not game wins. In a real game you can run 8 balls, miss the 9 and lose. In APA you miss the 9 you still win the rack 8 - 2.

Mixing up league scoring in how "hard" a game is or league play with it's handicap systems is not a good comparison. Especially when you talk about your personal matches not what is observed across many games and rules.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
At the end of the day 8B is a more complex game and requires more knowledge

Each game requires its own skill set and there’s a big overlap. So which one is harder? Depends where your at in your game and what your strong suits are. So it can flip/flop meaning one can be harder than the other at some points over a long span of time.

good luck
Fatboy
Eric..have you been reading a lot?
Your posts are at a much higher level than years ago.
And I agree...8-ball is more for thinkers...the patterns are harder to see....9-ball is for shooters... the patterns are usually obvious.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric..have you been reading a lot?
Your posts are at a much higher level than years ago.
And I agree...8-ball is more for thinkers...the patterns are harder to see....9-ball is for shooters... the patterns are usually obvious.
Actually I taught myself to write here. Spelling is still horrible lol.

I have always been well spoken, my writing skills were horrible as you know. So I just applied myself and was determined to learn to express myself with writing at a higher level. I was never embarrassed as we all have to start somewhere. That was one of my primary reasons and motivation for so many posts in the past.

Of course I like to joke around some and my grammar isn’t perfect but it’s improved notably in my posts. It took a long time, thanks for noticin. I do my best to contribute quality information here 78.4632% of the time, the rest is BS.

Best regards
Fatboy

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Difficult is hard to judge between two different games because the aspects of them are completely different but let me tell you something.

I find that in 8ball you can lose to a much lesser skilled player. Also I find that in 8ball luck factor is much larger than 9ball and can cause you to lose to a very lesser skilled player.

People think luck is lucking a ball in, but thats not the main factor in pool, layout luck is much more keen to determine the winner of a match, a guy who is really worst in the game than another guy can beat him in 8ball easier than in 9ball.

You can attest to his in the real world, if you're going to play a guy who's much better than you, give 8ball a try and see how you fair...you'll find that more often you'd beat him in 8ball than 9ball.
I would respectfully disagree. Our games on the wire handicaps for our 8-ball weekly tournaments are greater than for our 9-ball tournaments. In an 8-ball match between our highest ranked players and our lowest ranked players, the lowest rank player only needs to win 1 game to win the match, and yet the far stronger player normally still prevails. In 9-ball, they’d have to win 2 games to win the match, yet there are more upsets.

It’s tougher for a far weaker player to make 8 balls before their stronger opponent does, playing 8-ball, if the stronger player plays a smart game. But in 9-ball, the weaker player can win the game on one shot.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I would respectfully disagree. Our games on the wire handicaps for our 8-ball weekly tournaments are greater than for our 9-ball tournaments. In an 8-ball match between our highest ranked players and our lowest ranked players, the lowest rank player only needs to win 1 game to win the match, and yet the far stronger player normally still prevails. In 9-ball, they’d have to win 2 games to win the match, yet there are more upsets.

It’s tougher for a far weaker player to make 8 balls before their stronger opponent does, playing 8-ball, if the stronger player plays a smart game. But in 9-ball, the weaker player can win the game on one shot.
Are you talking about banging the lowest numbered ball into the nine hard? I wasn’t talking about this low of a level iam sorry hahaha. Iam talking of people who play decent, as in not pro nor a very low banger level. For these people 8ball would favor the lesser skilled player sometimes while the 9ball will show the better player.

But obviously you disagree with this, so we may agree to disagree. I just hope that one day in the future you’ll see what I mean.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
hmmmm, this is a good one. Seems to me the one I tend to practice more is the easier. I see patterns in both 8 & 9 ball, so that's not the issue.
Playing 8-ball on a small(er) table seems most difficult as it is tighter finding targets on rails after the shot. Often I run into a secondary ball that I didn't see when I planned my path in 8-ball. When you lose shape in 9-ball, you need to get a little bit crafty to get to the next ball. When you can't, you play SAFE. Both games are about table control.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Actually I taught myself to write here. Spelling is still horrible lol.

I have always been well spoken, my writing skills were horrible as you know. So I just applied myself and was determined to learn to express myself with writing at a higher level. I was never embarrassed as we all have to start somewhere. That was one of my primary reasons and motivation for so many posts in the past.

Of course I like to joke around some and my grammar isn’t perfect but it’s improved notably in my posts. It took a long time, thanks for noticin. I do my best to contribute quality information here 78.4632% of the time, the rest is BS.

Best regards
Fatboy
I think it’s brilliant.....I had a good friend, very smart, always running two three businesses at a time...
...any important letter he had to write, he’d call me to edit....he said sometimes the spelling just doesn’t make sense to me.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s brilliant.....I had a good friend, very smart, always running two three businesses at a time...
...any important letter he had to write, he’d call me to edit....he said sometimes the spelling just doesn’t make sense to me.
I can’t spell. Impossible. My brain doesn’t convert sounds to symbols. I can’t “sound out a work” and collect the letters and assemble them in any way shape or form. Also I can’t memorize letters. When someone tells me how to spell a word it’s one letter at a time slowly or it’s just gone.

Conversely tell me a 10 digit phone number at once and 95% of the time I have it right. Numbers are very easy for me. As is math, the older I get the easier mental math becomes. Not high level equations but rather “% of “ or addition, subtraction type stuff.

When I first came to AZB I could write bullet points at best. Not construct sentences or convey ideas and thoughts like I wanted too, which was weird to me as I could do that verbally. So I went on a mission to improve that skill set. I don’t write good as Jay Helfert or Bob Jewett. However I’m still trying to improve.

It’s been fun being back here, and I’m going to always be around. Possibly take a break but not for a long time. I’ve enjoyed the past few weeks.

kindest regards

Fatboy