9 ball match up

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am wondering your guys and gals opinions on something. There is a buddy of mine that I play from time to time. We play almost even, he is a little better but that forces me to bear down harder. We have decided to play like this, he gets the 7 and 8 and I get 4 games on the wire to 9. Neither of us normally can run any packages, I b&r about once every 7 games. Does this sound about even?
Thanks
Andy

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I am wondering your guys and gals opinions on something. There is a buddy of mine that I play from time to time. We play almost even, he is a little better but that forces me to bear down harder. We have decided to play like this, he gets the 7 and 8 and I get 4 games on the wire to 9. Neither of us normally can run any packages, I b&r about once every 7 games. Does this sound about even?
Thanks
Andy

I don't know... How's it working out so far?

That seems a bit drastic to even a slight advantage. Seems he's going to be winning a lot more games than you and your table time will be diminished. Keeping you in the chair does not help your game. Why not you just take the 8 or something?

Thanks
Andy

7 foot. 9 foot. Valley or Diamond? That will be needed to answer the question. Called 7 and 8?

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know... How's it working out so far?

That seems a bit drastic to even a slight advantage. Seems he's going to be winning a lot more games than you and your table time will be diminished. Keeping you in the chair does not help your game. Why not you just take the 8 or something?

We were just looking to change it up a bit. Haven't tried it yet, just came up with it last night and I had to leave before we could play. I was thinking it would change my game a little. Maybe make me play a little more safe because if I give him bih, he will undoubtedly have a combo to win.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Thanks
Andy

Why not just even? Your setting yourself up for a gaff game
Play the first few sets even. Unless you think you need a couple games
Leave the hot balls out of it

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
wild 7 and 8 is a huge spot it gives him 3 money balls in every rack that he can combo or carom at any time and 3 chances that one of them will wind up near a pocket. If it were me i would just play with straight race and get less games on the wire.

Personally I think this is a hustle. Once you get to the 7-ball, you can't miss or you lose. Are you good enough to run the last 3 balls every game with the pressure that if you miss you lose?

I don't think the worse player should be giving up the 7 and 8 even if they are getting games in return.

Edit: On a Valley this may not be true, because making the last 3 balls on a Valley is much easier, and you are unlikely to miss pocketing the ball. On a 9' Diamond you are more likely to hang the 7 or 8, and then he will have a hanger to win the game.

Last edited:

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks
Andy

most pros dont break and run every 7 games. This may be the most grossly overestimated stat people say about their games.

Why not just have you get the 8 to even it up.

Last edited:

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
match up

if you guys are that close start with the safe 8 ( if you make the 8 and he makes the 9 you push) then the call 8 so on you know the rest.many ways to match up with out giving up the nuts.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So its a double handicapped race to 9? Why would both of you be handicapped?

Playin4Dinner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
none of this is needed if you play "almost even"

if your intent is too "bare down harder"

just play the guy even....

Or you can pick from a few small spots...

A. last two

B. 1 game on the wire going to 7

C. even on your breaks/last two on his breaks

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you play anywhere near top speed,4 on the wire is the nuts

if you play typical league speed,where its unlike that you get out when there are 7 balls on the table with nothing in trouble,then he has the nuts

if i played a little more 9 ball.i prefer the games on the wire

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. We are just trying something to mix it up but it sounds like maybe I gave a little much. That will just make me bare down harder.
Andy

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most pros dont break and run every 7 games. This may be the most grossly overestimated stat people say about their games.

Why not just have you get the 8 to even it up.

i dunno. betting a real player that he cant run a 7pk on a table like that...yes, he might need multiple tries...might see you coming up a little lighter than you $tarted out.then put that toghether witth the getting the 7/8? no bet here.

i think it might be possible to do, for someone below pro speed.

ant to the topic, i agree that dude should just take the 8...or if he really wants to 'change things up', he should step it up! that'll get the other guy's attention.