9 ball push rule question

Art Vandelay

Registered
if you a playing for $$ and getting weight, in this case I was getting the 8, the other guy breaks, makes a ball but has no good shot, so he calls "push" and deliberately pockets the 8 ball.

Question is, does the 8 come back up?

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the shot is legal and the ball is not spotted. The fact that it is one of your money balls does not factor into the equation.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Art,

If you and your opponent both agreed the eight ball would spot if either of you made it on the break, the situation would be no different. The eight ball spots! If he made a legal shot by first hitting the lowest numbered ball and then made the eight at the same time, then the eight stays down. Your situation is the first point. Eight ball spots. Your choice of shooting or passing.

Lyn

MarcusG19

Future Best In Canada
Silver Member
it spots. he cant take away ur advantage every game like that.
its a game ball, it comes up. he doesnt win if he pushes the nine in.

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Art,

If you and your opponent both agreed the eight ball would spot if either of you made it on the break, the situation would be no different. The eight ball spots! If he made a legal shot by first hitting the lowest numbered ball and then made the eight at the same time, then the eight stays down. Your situation is the first point. Eight ball spots. Your choice of shooting or passing.

Lyn

Lyn,
The OP never said they had made such an agreement. Since it was not clarified prior to game/set beginning, it would not spot. The table doesn't know which ones are money balls and which ones are not. Why should the 8-ball in this case be any different?

If it was agreed upon prior to the set/game then I could agree with your statement due to the fact that it would make things similar to a ring game. The money ball pocketed out of sequence would be spotted and the incoming shooter would have the option to shoot or pass back.

Art Vandelay

Registered
Lyn,
The OP never said they had made such an agreement. Since it was not clarified prior to game/set beginning, it would not spot. The table doesn't know which ones are money balls and which ones are not. Why should the 8-ball in this case be any different?

If it was agreed upon prior to the set/game then I could agree with your statement due to the fact that it would make things similar to a ring game. The money ball pocketed out of sequence would be spotted and the incoming shooter would have the option to shoot or pass back.

if the 8 goes in on the break, it stayed down. we never agreed to bring it back up. only rule was I had to call the 8 during the game, no sh1tting it in.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
it is a no brainer, it definatly spots up.

if he says it doesn't it is an insult to your integrety. then i would tell him the game is over, null and void. :cool:

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real roll out rules (before Texas Express) the eight ball would spot and so would any illegally pockect balls. At least thats how I remember it from 30 years ago.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
If my kneecap spasmed up to his boys, is that cool?

If someone did that to me, and this specific thing hadn't been discussed prior, and my opponent stuck firm to it staying down - I'd be inclined to unscrew. It reeks of dirty pool and is not within the spirit of the game or the handicap.

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well, I guess that just makes me an a**hole then, but this is the way i have played both when giving, and receiving similar spots unless it what brought up during negotiation of said game/set. Moral of the story..ask specific questions such as this when matching up. Some people and/or pool rooms play with different rules, know and understand them and if you do not, ask questions.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
if the 8 goes in on the break, it stayed down. we never agreed to bring it back up. only rule was I had to call the 8 during the game, no sh1tting it in.

Art,

With the above statement, my suggestion becomes moot. The eight stays down, period. If you had stated that originally, most of the these posts might not have been made. Sure made for a lively discussion though! Thanks.

Lyn

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Art,

With the above statement, my suggestion becomes moot. The eight stays down, period. If you had stated that originally, most of the these posts might not have been made. Sure made for a lively discussion though! Thanks.

Lyn

you're an idiot !

ICUE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thinking comes down to this, how is his eight ball, ie extra game ball different than the nine. To me the same rules should apply to it, as it would apply to the nine. So in this case the eight would spot just like it would if he pocketed the nine. But once again a clear case of agreeing before hand conditions of the game when a handicap is involved.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Spots!

it spots. he cant take away ur advantage every game like that.
its a game ball, it comes up. he doesnt win if he pushes the nine in.

The eight ball spots without question, why spot someone then take it away from them on a chicken shit shot! I can see where someone would make a valid point, but that's just not how it's played.

I can't believe how people forget (or don't know)the way 9-ball is played!

David Harcrow

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
It only spots if the guy giving the weight shoots it in. If the guy getting the weight rolls it in after the break, it stays down.