A-1 Billiards Review New England

jhugo

Registered
I just wanted to thank this section of the Forums because I did all of my research looking for tables and who to help me with my dream room in our new apartment right here over the last 18 months. Without the Home Rooms thread and the mechanics forum I wouldn't have the table I am enjoying now. Thank You

Through the forums there were many great recommendations in the New England area for Jay Spielberg of A-1 billiards and I have to say I received top notch service and a great table. I am a researcher and I like to look pretty deep into what is out there and how to find the best product I am looking for. Jay is hard to find out on the web, but through the forum I was able to get his cell phone. When I first called I had questions about which table should go into my space 8 or 9 foot, which table should I buy Gold Crown or Diamond, and the feasibility of getting the table into the space.

At first Jay ran me down some dimensions for the room - but I told him it was to say the least an "interesting" space and I wanted somebody with years of experience to actually see it before proceeding. He agreed to make the drive down - about an hour - first class service. The room is on the 3rd floor of an old downtown building in Newburyport, Mass - everything from parking, to getting up numerous stairs, to a severely unlevel room in an attic with benches hiding mechanicals made this as Jay said "definitely a challenging install."

He talked me through what my pool interests were and also measured the space, then we talked about what I liked for design, etc and finally decided to go with a rebuilt Gold Crown 3. Through the whole process it was like talking to an old friend who actually cared - not a table salesman - just the type of people I like doing business with. Always thorough - I made an appointment to visit Jay's warehouse shop in NH to check out the table I would be getting. Fascinating to see all the parts and Jay also took me around the corner to a local club that had three of Jay's GCs installed - shot some balls and I was convinced I had the table for me.

Fast forward a few weeks and it was install day - It took 5 guys to get everything up to the top floor attic and a few more hours to get everything leveled, built, and the new cloth put on - Simonis Blue 760 (interested in Straight Pool and so far love the speed). The end result is a room I have dreamed about since I was a little kid. Without finding Jay through the forums there is no way I would have such a gorgeous Gold Crown 3 as my home table.

So a big thank you to Jay Spielberg, Joshua Lee, Cliff Dubay and Nick Dusaitis of A-1 Billiards for a fantastic job - if you need a table or work done in NE - call Jay up.

My only error was forgetting to tip the guys, honestly, I was so thrilled with the table it never crossed my mind - but after reading a post on AZ a few days later and waiting for the next paycheck I have sent that along to Jay today - apologies fellas for that mistake...

I'll post pictures once I learn how..

Attachments

• Pool Room 1.JPG
    Pool Room 1.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 486
  • Pool Room 2.jpg
    Pool Room 2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking table, but it looks like you can't shoot at all from one side! Did you think about getting a 7 footer instead?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In an apartment?...as in you don't own the space the table is in?...LOL Don't worry to much about the tip, Jay'll pick it up when it comes time to move to a house...when he charges you TWICE as much to move the table out...LMAO

Jay is great mechanic, and an even better person up close and personal. You did the smart thing in consulting him first, then contracting him to do the job.

To Jay...what in the hell were you thinking buddy....when you saw all the stairs up to the third floor....you should have just quit answering your phone buddy....you're to OLD for them kind of jobs:thumbup:

Glen

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Jay and his crew knocked it out of the park' -the real deal-
Hats off to the customer and the crew.

Rob.M

jhugo

Registered
Re:

Nice looking table, but it looks like you can't shoot at all from one side! Did you think about getting a 7 footer instead?

You can shoot all the way around without any issues - pics are off cell phone and deceiving. It's a smaller room but it works great for shooting alone or with one other - just the way I want it.

jhugo

Registered
Re: Apartment

In an apartment?...as in you don't own the space the table is in?...LOL Don't worry to much about the tip, Jay'll pick it up when it comes time to move to a house...when he charges you TWICE as much to move the table out...LMAO

Jay is great mechanic, and an even better person up close and personal. You did the smart thing in consulting him first, then contracting him to do the job.

To Jay...what in the hell were you thinking buddy....when you saw all the stairs up to the third floor....you should have just quit answering your phone buddy....you're to OLD for them kind of jobs:thumbup:

Glen

Very, very funny - I own the building - and i built my dream apartment in it - I'm not moving ever again unless picking up a secondary residence...lol..you should see my built in draft lines in the kitchen...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Very, very funny - I own the building - and i built my dream apartment in it - I'm not moving ever again unless picking up a secondary residence...lol..you should see my built in draft lines in the kitchen...

In that case, the tip to Jay & crew was derserving, as it don't look like he'll be getting it on the backend...moving the table out...LMAO...good job hiring Jay...smart move:grin:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm buying a table for my son in the next few months, these guys will be on my list of installers for sure, thanks for the review.

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've stumbled into a Jay Spielberg love fest!
Jay has set two tables for me.... at the end of the earth too!
Well... the end of Cape Cod.
I hope he'll travel for the recovering when that's due.

New England's Best.

Dave

fheppenheimer

I couldn't be happier with the service and skill shown by Jay and his team, they are A++ experts and craftsmen, friendly and great to work with. They fixed a problem that had plagued my old Columbia Ambassador for over 25 years, a problem that three other mechanics had been unable to fix properly. Jay explained that the other mechanics had been unwilling to take the time to make the proper repair (filling in some enlarged bolt holes, redrilling, etc.) The table is now tight as a drum and plays perfectly. I'm just 25 miles north of NYC so I had to wait until they were traveling through my area -- and believe me, it was worth waiting for!! No one else will touch my table again. I may soon be in the market for a vintage billiard table and plan to start at A-1 Billiard Service, they know the products and how to set them up right. Thank you Jay Spielberg!!

Jagr Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay Spielberg's service...

I did a tremendous amount of research about 4 years ago in evaluating various table mechanics, when I happened to see Jay's avatar on AZB. I called him, and after only a very few minutes on the phone, I was absolutely convinced that he was, in fact, a top level table mechanic that I would like to engage.

And, eventually I was able to convince him to do the refurbishing on my antique, Brunswick "Challenger" table. The catch is that I live in.....West Virginia.

But Jay, being the consummate professional that he is, eventually agreed. He spent two (2) days here in WV doing the work, and it was a fantastic job that he completed.

So, I understand your being happy with his service...I know I certainly was, and he had to travel from New England to West Virginia to do the work. I'm betting there aren't many, if any other, mechanics who would have done that kind of traveling.

Jay Spielberg is the exception...and, an exceptional talented and knowledgeable mechanic who is as personable and friendly as he is talented.

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words from all of you! i LOVE MY CUSTOMERS. You guy's have all been great to deal with.

Jay