A feel-good thread about pool :)

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I started this thread for almost 3 months ago, after feeling sick of pool for almost a year. "I'm sick of pool" http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=213757

Well, things have changed a bit since then :D

As some of you know I'm living on a small island with only 500 people, but I've rented a place where we have three 9-foottables and one 8-foottable. Since the Summer I've kept open for people wanting to play, and the way it is organized is that members of the poolclub ($40 a year) plays for free. This is a non-profit thing I am doing, and the poolclub is getting money from both the local council and private companies to fund tables, equipment and in time, sending the youngsters to tournaments.

Every Monday we have a ranking-tournament (double elimination, race to 2, cost $ 3 to join), and every Wednesday people can practice. I've done this for months even though it has bored me to death, but we have 40 members in our club, and between 15 and 20 on every tournament, so it's really popular. Did I mention we have 500 people living here? ;)

Well, now my nephews, turned 11 and 13 one month ago, have been playing for 7 months, and during the last 2 months they both got bored of just banging balls around with no purpose. They wanted to learn to play good, and were willing to put in more hours to practice.

So, I've spent hours with them and a handful of their classmates teaching them new things every week, and even brought them to a few regional tournaments. Now we will have open on Sundays too.

They are improving real quick, and picking up a lot with such a speed that I've realized that I need to practice myself again, if not they will be better than me within a few years :D

So, I'm finally back practicing again, and man, how fun it is to practice together with the kids. They really enjoy it, and the look in their face when they manage to do the stuff I tell them to do is priceless.

My youngest nephew is the one who seems to have the most talent so far, and it looks like he also have the desire to listen more carefully and practice a little bit harder than the rest. I spent 15 minutes with him teaching him some bankshots the other day, what english to use, speed etc., and minutes later he played a 9-ball match against another guy and banked 3 balls in the same rack like he had done nothing else his whole life :)

After the tournament today we practiced on making balls frozen to the rail. I put 8 balls on the rails (2 on each head-rail and 1 on each side-rail), and told him to make one and play position for another. He used 3 tries before he ran 7 of the 8, and hanged the last ball. Next time he will make all 8 :)

So, I'm of course proud, and I'm really looking forward to see how good he and his friends can get!

To be continued, just wanted to share a feel-good thread since so many people in here post threads like "pool is dying" etc.

The key to make pool grow is simple - show the kids how to play

My nephew Kristian (11)
kristian.jpg

Last edited:

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is great Roy, and kids is what we need to keep this growing.
Keep us posted, I like to hear this stuff.
Mark

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
too bad not everyone shares your outlook

where i'm from, the only thing young kids in the poolhall were good for was taking their money. the old school learning by losing, and none of the good players cared to share much knowledge.

too bad now, because of their greed, there aren't very many players that came out of the woodwork.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your Business Card

Roy Steffensen
Missionary
The Church of The Good Hustler

Dam*** thing does't accept my format:angry:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
You are a pretty amazing guy.

You organize a billiard club where by all accounts, one shouldn't be able to survive.

You get money from people and businesses to support pool tournaments and billiard clubs when it should not be possible.

You get free advertisment for your pool tournaments in newspapers. I hope that wasn't Starvenger's newspaper (spelling to reflect the number of people and getting blood out of a turnip).

You get non billiard establishments to donate money and prizes to your tournaments.

When you come to the DCC, you convince us Americans that we have a good bet with you yet, you get games on the wire and you get the favorite in the match.

What do we have to look forward with you for May of 2011? Are you going to take our women too?

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Here are two pictures of how it looks like now.

We have now replaced two of my private Brunswick Goldcrown IV tables, with 2 Soren Sogaard tables. Now the club and it's 40 members are the proud owner of 3 9-foot tables.

Picture to the right is "our" room.

The reason for different color on the cloth is real simple. We have got it for free :) The pictures on the walls (6 on each) will be posters of 12 top players. The 12 players have agreed to send a few different pictures to me, and I will add some text about them and their achievements, and this way the players can learn a little about some of the top players around the world. Looking forward to that.

We are working on getting new lights, but we're not in a hurry. This is a low-cost (no-cost) operation, and an electrician has promised to fix this for free, when he finds time to do it. So if it takes a few months, that's fine.

On the other picture is the room next door, where the local youthclub belong. We work together with them, and they can use our 3 tables when we have closed, and we can use their table, tv-room etc when they have closed. This is a win-win situation for the youth and us.

Next month we will have a youth & parents tournaments, where we have invited all players, friends, parents and grandparents to join in a "sponsor-ship event". It will cost 20 $ each to join, and the winner will only get a trophy. The money raised in this event will be used for sending a handful of the youths to the Norwegian 9-ball Championship for youths in June. Think we will get a good turn-out for this event :) Best of all, the parents will see how much their kids have progressed the last 7 months, and they can see that pool can be a safe and nice sport to join.

A great surprise the other day was a nice pm from Robin Kelly, who enjoys what we are doing and will send an instruction-book for free to our club. We really appreciate that!!! Thanks a lot!!! :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
You are a pretty amazing guy.

You organize a billiard club where by all accounts, one shouldn't be able to survive.

You get money from people and businesses to support pool tournaments and billiard clubs when it should not be possible.

You get free advertisment for your pool tournaments in newspapers. I hope that wasn't Starvenger's newspaper (spelling to reflect the number of people and getting blood out of a turnip).

You get non billiard establishments to donate money and prizes to your tournaments.

When you come to the DCC, you convince us Americans that we have a good bet with you yet, you get games on the wire and you get the favorite in the match.

What do we have to look forward with you for May of 2011? Are you going to take our women too?

Joey, people roll differently in Norway than they do here in the States. We have a culture in America where pool is looked-down upon. Probably no PR issues in Norway!!!

Maniac

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Joey, people roll differently in Norway than they do here in the States. We have a culture in America where pool is looked-down upon. Probably no PR issues in Norway!!!

Maniac

I guess it's a bit different, but many people still look at pool as a hustlin-game.

But, I'm having no problem getting media-attention for pool. This weekend I was supposed to play against the Norwegian National teams in Bowling and Curling, together with 3 other poolplayers, in a kind of triathlon in pool, bowling and curling. Since I was picked to represent pool the local tv-station here wanted to do a 2 minute story on it.

Unfortunately I had to cancel because of a injured knee, so it didn't happen.

Anyway, our club is registered in the national sports register, and because of that we are able to apply for money from many different government-funded organisations.

Also, the local bank just recently sponsored the club with $ 2000 to buy the pooltables, and the mayor has said that they will most likely give us more than that.

Both of them has said that we are very welcome to apply for more next year, which we will :)

liljacksdad

Young Blood
Silver Member
I love this post!!! I grew up in the bars around my town and I played pool since I was six. I did nothing but make balls until I turned 21 and started going to other bars that had tournaments. I finally got involved with a crowd that showed me a thing or two about defense and it's made my game almost unbeatable in my area. If only I was taught the game and what it fully consisted of, I might have been involved in Junior tournaments across the states and so on and so forth. What I remember most is there being at least 30-40 teams in the area. Now there is maybe 15. I know the economy has done a substantial amount of damage to league play but you don't see many people playing pool either. I think every town should have a pool hall. Maybe even throw a chess club or something of that nature. Things that are good for the mind. I know it would have kept me out of trouble. If you love this sport then you love this sport. Drinking and gambling may have given it a bad name but I still love it and our kids need to love it to or it will be gone someday. My kids are 2 and 3 and they love it at the moment. :thumbup:
Thanks again for this post.

jrackman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post

Roy, thats a great thing your doing for the kids and having a club private club will def. help the kids learn the right way as opposed to the pool room. Keep up the good work....Jeff

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are doing a very good thing for the sport and the youth of your community. Your focusing on the objectives of instructing youth and promoting the sport is a good example for us.

I would like to if others in the U.S. are engaged in similiar projects.