A Pool Room Is Opening Soon In Fresno, CA…….SIERRA BILLIARDS.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been anxiously waiting and watching this come together and thank goodness it’s now in the home stretch.
Tables are now assembled and positioned, dart gallery all set up and one of Fresno’s young Mavericks is the Mgr.

BTW, this guy is an awesome pool player, he’s worked in the industry when it was called Diamond Billiards founded
by a name so many of the pool greats knew & played pool with like Steve Mizerak, Kim Davenport, Keith McCready.

RIP Dan who was my oh so dearest of friends. We met in 1978 and pool was always our common denominator, as well
as golf and many of his crazy business schemes. The fact the mgr. was part of Dan Dadian’s team at Diamond is great.

COVID kicked the ass of so many small business operators but business has really rebounded with lots of new restaurants,
specialty stores, and finally a new pool room……Sierra Billiards can’t get here fast enuf…..Best of Luck…Stay Tuned.

Matt B.

Attachments

• A316E548-744F-45E4-8D57-3427BB62DC1F.jpeg
    A316E548-744F-45E4-8D57-3427BB62DC1F.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 274
  • C4279D7E-88A9-474E-B8B6-373C5A55CA92.jpeg
    C4279D7E-88A9-474E-B8B6-373C5A55CA92.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been anxiously waiting and watching this come together and thank goodness it’s now in the home stretch.
Tables are now assembled and positioned, dart gallery all set up and one of Fresno’s young Mavericks is the Mgr.

BTW, this guy is an awesome pool player, he’s worked in the industry when it was called Diamond Billiards founded
by a name so many of the pool greats knew and played pool with like Steve Mizerak, Kim Davenport, Keith Macready.

RIP Dan who was my oh so dearest of friends. We met in 1978 and pool was always our common denominator, as well
as golf and many of his crazy business schemes. The fact the mgr. was part of Dan Dadian’s team at Diamond is great.

COVID kicked the ass of so many small business operators but business has really rebounded with lots of new restaurants,
specialty stores, and finally a new pool room……Sierra Billiars can’t get here fast enuf…..Best of Luck…Stay Tuned.

Matt B.
I wish someone would open a decent room in Orange County, CA. There's a severe shortage of decent places to play in the LA/ OC area since Hard Times Bellflower closed a few years ago.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s getting close……..this new pool room in Fresno is going to be a very welcome addition.

Stay tuned……SIERRA BILLIARDS……6460 N. Blackstone Ave. (formerly Diamond Billiards).

Attachments

• 6AACF52A-EB0A-423E-B302-9507875D4907.jpeg
    6AACF52A-EB0A-423E-B302-9507875D4907.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 4ED9BCD2-AAD5-4F46-8A89-5E8100137EB4.jpeg
    4ED9BCD2-AAD5-4F46-8A89-5E8100137EB4.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 192
  • E7B8C3CB-D520-4D69-843E-C79814515F16.jpeg
    E7B8C3CB-D520-4D69-843E-C79814515F16.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 204
  • AB26A8F0-C2E3-440B-BAB8-2C75E30B63ED.jpeg
    AB26A8F0-C2E3-440B-BAB8-2C75E30B63ED.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 4B3023D9-663B-4816-B035-C29646336AF4.jpeg
    4B3023D9-663B-4816-B035-C29646336AF4.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 207

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sierra Billiards is now operational and it looks great.

The pool room is divided in half for 7’ and 9’ Diamond tables.

Lighting is incredible, TVs everywhere, great sound system,
experienced & friendly staff and more upscale than other halls.

This week was basically a soft opening with limited hours but 50%
off thru the 16th. There’s seven (7) 7’ tables and eight (8) 9’ tables.

Here’s the best part as far as I’m concerned. 4 of the 8 tables have
4 1/2” corner pockets and the remaining four 9’ tables have 4 1/4”.

The tables are fast, the rails are lively, almost energized or so it seems,
& the pockets, at least the 4 1/4” ones, are demonically tough….Luv it.

Leagues are forming, weekly tournaments will be implemented and I’m
looking forward to the regular ring games with those really tight pockets.

If you are in Fresno. You have to stop by and see a spaciously arranged,
upscale pool hall. SIERRA BILLIARDS ….6460 N. Blackstone Avenue.

Attachments

• E3D17977-799F-4497-A355-5CFEAB6A7371.jpeg
    E3D17977-799F-4497-A355-5CFEAB6A7371.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current rate during the soft opening is $10/hr. but I expect it will be higher.
There might be a daytime rate and evening rate (TBD). There’s been indication
there’ll be a monthly membership and what that entails and the cost hasn’t been
announced yet. The beer is stocked but can’t be sold until the liquor license goes
into effect and should occur soon. The place has 12 TVs at the counter and another
10 bigger screen TVs scattered around the pool hall. The tables are generously spaced
and all the tables have subway pockets and use Diamond pool table lights. It is just a
top notch layout and the owners want to promote a contemporaneous environment
that appeals to a wide audience of patrons. It is well designed as far as pool rooms go.

Update: The four (4) 9’ tables with tighter pockets bank tough. The corner pockets are
4 1/4” and side pockets only 1/2” wider at 4 3/4”. Hard cuts shots to the side pockets
definitely require speed control. These 4 tables are challenging which is how it should be.
All in all, a great combination of 7’ tables and 9’ tables arranged as well as one could hope.

Sierra Billiards……6460 N. Blackstone Ave……559-515-6193……You won’t be disappointed.

Attachments

• 92DA1338-C7AB-47C7-AC80-F58C815C83B3.jpeg
    92DA1338-C7AB-47C7-AC80-F58C815C83B3.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 71

strokecity33

Registered
Recent pics since the opening

Attachments

• 668AC6A3-0452-4245-80DB-1A08BDCE0C97.jpeg
    668AC6A3-0452-4245-80DB-1A08BDCE0C97.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 1396FA39-2499-439D-9965-A472A70D8992.jpeg
    1396FA39-2499-439D-9965-A472A70D8992.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 142
  • E79051D5-D2CB-46FE-9E9C-28751100C1B0.jpeg
    E79051D5-D2CB-46FE-9E9C-28751100C1B0.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 36D29086-5469-40D6-BBD5-5EAB4F1F83E4.jpeg
    36D29086-5469-40D6-BBD5-5EAB4F1F83E4.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 141

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current rate during the soft opening is $10/hr. but I expect it will be higher.
There might be a daytime rate and evening rate (TBD). There’s been indication
there’ll be a monthly membership and what that entails and the cost hasn’t been
announced yet. The beer is stocked but can’t be sold until the liquor license goes
into effect and should occur soon. The place has 12 TVs at the counter and another
10 bigger screen TVs scattered around the pool hall. The tables are generously spaced
and all the tables have subway pockets and use Diamond pool table lights. It is just a
top notch layout and the owners want to promote a contemporaneous environment
that appeals to a wide audience of patrons. It is well designed as far as pool rooms go.

Update: The four (4) 9’ tables with tighter pockets bank tough. The corner pockets are
4 1/4” and side pockets only 1/2” wider at 4 3/4”. Hard cuts shots to the side pockets
definitely require speed control. These 4 tables are challenging which is how it should be.
All in all, a great combination of 7’ tables and 9’ tables arranged as well as one could hope.

Sierra Billiards……6460 N. Blackstone Ave……559-515-6193……You won’t be disappointed.
$10 per table per hour or $10 per person per hour? Big difference! My opinion - with only 8 9-foot Diamond tables, better to have gone with 6 standard size Diamond pockets and no more than 2 with 4-1/4” pockets. The super tight tables really slow down tournament play and are best left for really good players and one pocket players. Looks like a great place.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$10 per table per hour or $10 per person per hour? Big difference! My opinion - with only 8 9-foot Diamond tables, better to have gone with 6 standard size Diamond pockets and no more than 2 with 4-1/4” pockets. The super tight tables really slow down tournament play and are best left for really good players and one pocket players. Looks like a great place.
$10…..per table…….1 or 5 players……I anticipate the evening rate (7pm- close) will increase, likely double.
There is supposed to be a monthly membership started soon. As far as the facility and the equipment, well,
you can’t rate much higher than A+ and that’s what I rate Sierra Billiards for now. The equipment is tournament
quality and I know it’s because everything is brand new. Time will determine how the equipment is maintained,
however, Kyle R. Is a very strong pool player and understands the significance of keeping the equipment tip top.
As long as he remains with the management team, I’m optomistic Sierra Billiards should remain a pristine facility.
I’ll continue patronizing The Rack which is just a few blocks down the street but Sierra Billiards is the crown jewel
right now and once you visit the location and try the tables ( 8 - 9’ Diamond tables & 7 - 7’ Diamond tables), you’ll
understand why. Big screen tv sets everywhere, friendly staff & the best pool tables…..sounds like a winner to me.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of strong players in the Central Valley and Kyle Robertson happens to be one of them.
His brother, Keith, is just as talented and I enjoy watching the two of them play head to head. Not only
because of the tremendous game they bring but the kibitzing between two brothers is hilarious and each
tries to out do the other calling difficult shots. There’s a large congregation of local players that relish the
tighter pockets because it acts like a filter. Don’t play in the ring game unless you can handle the pockets.

The new APA teams will play on the 7’ tables but weekly tournaments will be on the 9’ tables. A 50/50 split
seems ideal and 4 1/4” & 4 3/4” pockets aren’t that much more difficult than 4 1/2” & 5” pockets when you
play top notch position. Absent that, tighter pockets require a wee bit more finesse on hard & long cut shots.
You’re right about some players becoming frustrated with the smaller pockets but they will either get better
or play on different tables. If you want to improve & compete with the best local players, this is what’s needed.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of strong players in the Central Valley and Kyle Robertson happens to be one of them.
His brother, Keith, is just as talented and I enjoy watching the two of them play head to head. Not only
because of the tremendous game they bring but the kibitzing between two brothers is hilarious and each
tries to out do the other calling difficult shots. There’s a large congregation of local players that relish the
tighter pockets because it acts like a filter. Don’t play in the ring game unless you can handle the pockets.

The new APA teams will play on the 7’ tables but weekly tournaments will be on the 9’ tables. A 50/50 split
seems ideal and 4 1/4” & 4 3/4” pockets aren’t that much more difficult than 4 1/2” & 5” pockets when you
play top notch position. Absent that, tighter pockets require a wee bit more finesse on hard & long cut shots.
You’re right about some players becoming frustrated with the smaller pockets but they will either get better
or play on different tables. If you want to improve & compete with the best local players, this is what’s needed.
The difference between how a table with 4-1/4” pockets play on newly installed cloth versus how they will play once the cloth is broken in is huge.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference between how a table with 4-1/4” pockets play on newly installed cloth versus how they will play once the cloth is broken in is huge.
Absolutely….not surprisingly, worn cloth plays a little slower & differently than brand new cloth.
I guess the best way to describe it is new cloth plays faster instead of worn cloth playing slower.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sierra Billiards is now serving beer. Their license was issued last week and a hard alcohol license
allowing for a full bar setup is pending issuance. Meanwhile their beverage fridge is fully stocked
and there’s also 25 beers on tap. APA just started up a new season and the 7’ Diamond tables &
lighting is as excellent as any pool hall in the USA. The tables are without any blemishes and are
cleaned every day along with the pool balls. The staff is friendly and the owners, Gil & Terry, seem
like they want to provide the best entertainment and pool playing environment. Big screen TV’s are
located everywhere…..must be two dozen screens. The sound system sounds like a nightclub it’s
that good and they don’t play the music too loud either. There’s nothing not to like, or praise, about
Fresno’s newest and finest pool hall. All of the Diamond tables play fast & tough so all in all, it seems
like the ideal pool hall for serious minded players as well as offering recreational pool players with a
very pleasing ambience. I can’t find anything so far to fault or criticize. The best news is the owners
decided to offer monthly memberships ($65/mth) and you can play anytime (wkdays & wkends). The
only caveat is evenings, if a waiting list gets started for an open table, monthly members understand
Sierra Billiards is a for profit business. Ergo, mthly members are expected to surrender tables for general
play but no one that’s joined has an issue with doing that. We want this pool hall to be highly successful.
Sierra Billiards is so exquisite that I think the owners could develop franchises and open other locations.

The managers are all pool players by vocation and pretty darn good, especially Kyle and Ivan. Every day
Brendan vacuums all the tables and polishes the rails. It’s like he is the full time equipment manager. As I
earlier commented, the pool balls are cleaned every day with Aramith products and more often if needed.
The staff pays attention to the details that are important for pool players. It all starts with the owners and
both Gil & Terry want to see Sierra Billiards become recognized as the finest pool hall in the Central Valley.
And they recognize having employees that share the same mission statement is the only way to attain this.

I was at Sierra Billiards earlier today and Brendan was getting the 7’ tables ready for Sunday afternoon APA.
BTW, he’s another employee that shoots a really strong game. I’ve watched him test the 7’ tables and on Fri,
I got to see him play on a 9’ table & he didn’t miss many shots. Sierra Billiards has a great team of employees.

Attachments

• IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7685.jpeg
    IMG_7685.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I wish someone would open a decent room in Orange County, CA. There's a severe shortage of decent places to play in the LA/ OC area since Hard Times Bellflower closed a few years ago.
No shit. I want to get back in pool, but Danny Ks is my only option?! I’d move to Fresno but it’s still in Ca. Looks like a nice place.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sierra Billiards is now serving beer. Their license was issued last week and a hard alcohol license
allowing for a full bar setup is pending issuance. Meanwhile their beverage fridge is fully stocked
and there’s also 25 beers on tap. APA just started up a new season and the 7’ Diamond tables &
lighting is as excellent as any pool hall in the USA. The tables are without any blemishes and are
cleaned every day along with the pool balls. The staff is friendly and the owners, Guy & Terry, seem
like they want to provide the best entertainment and pool playing environment. Big screen TV’s are
located everywhere…..must be two dozen screens. The sound system sounds like a nightclub it’s
that good and they don’t play the music too loud either. There’s nothing not to like, or praise, about
Fresno’s newest and finest pool hall. All of the Diamond tables play fast & tough so all in all, it seems
like the ideal pool hall for serious minded players as well as offering recreational pool players with a
very pleasing ambience. I can’t find anything so far to fault or criticize. The best news is the owners
decided to offer monthly memberships ($65/mth) and you can play anytime (wkdays & wkends). The
only caveat is evenings, if a waiting list gets started for an open table, monthly members understand
Sierra Billiards is a for profit business. Ergo, mthly members are expected to surrender tables for general
play but no one that’s joined has an issue with doing that. We want this pool hall to be highly successful.
Sierra Billiards is so exquisite that I think the owners could develop franchises and open other locations.

The managers are all pool players by vocation and pretty darn good, especially Kyle and Ivan. Every day
Brendan vacuums all the tables and polishes the rails. It’s like he is the full time equipment manager. As I
earlier commented, the pool balls are cleaned every day with Aramith products and more often if needed.
The staff pays attention to the details that are important for pool players. It all starts with the owners and
both Guy & Terry want to see Sierra Billiards become recognized as the finest pool hall in the Central Valley.
And they recognize having employees that share the same mission statement is the only way to attain this.

I was at Sierra Billiards earlier today and Brendan was getting the 7’ tables ready for Sunday afternoon APA.
BTW, he’s another employee that shoots a really strong game. I’ve watched him test the 7’ tables and on Fri,
I got to see him play on a 9’ table & he didn’t miss many shots. Sierra Billiards has a great team of employees.
This is what kept Hard times and probably all successful rooms open; a strong action base. If you aren't part of that society, I'd caution against opening.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sierra Billiards is absolutely a exquisite pool room. The attention given to the pool tables and pool balls
is the best I’ve ever witnessed in all my 62 years of playing pool across America. It is like going to play
In a national tournament. Everyday tables are vacuumed, brushed, pool balls cleaned & this even occurs
during regular opening hours. This is assuredly an upscale pool hall. The rates are $12/hr for a table days
and $22/hr evenings. However, they offer a monthly membership for only $65 & you can play at any time.

Here’s a nice touch the owners did this weekend and NAS Lemoore is just down the road from Fresno. It
is the Navy’s newest and largest master jet base. Strike Fighter Wing Pacific, along with its associated
squadrons, is home ported there. NAS Lemoore also hosts four (4) carrier wings: Carrier Air Wing Two (CVW-2)
Carrier Air Wing Nine (CVW-9) Carrier Air Wing Eleven (CVW-11) and Carrier Air Wing Seventeen (CVW-17).
NAS Lemoore now hosts the Navy’s entire west coast fighter/attack capability. It is a major U.S. Navy base.

I thought this was a great gesture and a nice way of acknowledging the patriotism of our military personnel.

Attachments

• IMG_7802.jpeg
    IMG_7802.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7801.jpeg
    IMG_7801.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Six months review….Sierra Billiards (Fresno, CA).

It opened this past May and it has been an oasis in an otherwise desert like environment for pool halls.
The owners are doing it the right way by hiring experienced employees that promote and maintain a
pristine environment for enjoying the game of pool in a modern, clean, excellently designed pool room.

There are 8 nine ft. Diamond pool tables and 7 seven ft.Diamond tables. The tables are cleaned every day
and the pool balls are too. You will not ever get a set of dirty pool balls at Sierra Billiards. The pool tables
are spaciously arranged and big screen TVs are everywhere broadcasting sports & streaming pool matches.

Without a doubt, Sierra Billiards has set the height of the bar for pool halls in the Central Valley Region in CA.
Monthly membership only costs $65 and it allows you to play anytime. I am not a fan of 7’ pool tables but no
other brand table plays as sweet and tough as Diamond 7’ tables. All the table cloths are glued & pulled tight.

It looks like Sierra Billiards has come up with a winning formula, or at least I hope it is because it is truly a classy
pool hall in every respect. If you are passing through Fresno, do yourself a favor and visit Sierra Billiards to enjoy
a great time playing pool on the best equipment in the entire Central Valley Region of CA. Thank God it happened.