A Question For Cue Makers

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'2" tall and my cue is 58-1/4" long with a balance point of 19" (no weight bolt right now) The shaft is 29" long.

On a normal shot the "V" of my bridge is 10" from the cue ball.

From the "V" of my bridge to the front of my grip hand the distance is 43" with my chin about 6" above the cue.

My hand is 4" wide and grips the cue behind the cue wrap but not covering the butt cap.

My question based on the information above is:

What should the ideal balance point in inches, as measured from the end of the butt cap, of a cue be for me?

Thanks in advance

John :)

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I'm 6'2" tall and my cue is 58-1/4" long with a balance point of 19" (no weight bolt right now) The shaft is 29" long.

On a normal shot the "V" of my bridge is 10" from the cue ball.

From the "V" of my bridge to the front of my grip hand the distance is 43" with my chin about 6" above the cue.

My hand is 4" wide and grips the cue behind the cue wrap but not covering the butt cap.

My question based on the information above is:

What should the ideal balance point in inches, as measured from the end of the butt cap, of a cue be for me?

Thanks in advance

John :)

I build for a 19 inch balance point or a little less.... that gives a slightly forward balanced cue................ also why not try a 30 inch shaft............ does not change the feel of the cue and plays nice?

Kim

tsp&b

Silver Member
One Pocket John, The perfect balance point for you would be...... The one that feels best to you. Some like a forward weighted cue some prefer a butt weighted cue. It truly is a matter of personal preference. There really are very few hard and fast rules.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Jimmy Reid I believe had a formula for that......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that you should play with a forward balanced cue, a rear weighted cue, and a cue that is neither of those options to see which of the three feels best to YOU- My observations are from many years of cueing experience. All three cue balance features appeal to a different group of players- for me, I like a cue that, for my own grip and finger bridge positions, exhibits neither forward nor rear balance, just a feeling of the cue cradling in my hands. NO one rule works for everyone , nor does one rule on this aspect of cue selection benefit all players alike. You need to try all three balance aspects of cues to really find the optimum aspect for you alone. For the 25 or so different custom and production cues that I have used over my lifetime, my Richard Black split diamond cue is my all time favorite in terms of FEEL in my hands i.e. the balance aspect of that particular cue is just right for me- the moment I start to play with it, the feeling of movement is totally effortless, A Mike Capone that I once owned came in very close- I do not think that Mike Capone uses weight bolts at all in his construction, which IMO, is the best way to build a cue for consistent balance felling along the length of the cue butt.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that you should play with a forward balanced cue, a rear weighted cue, and a cue that is neither of those options to see which of the three feels best to YOU- My observations are from many years of cueing experience. All three cue balance features appeal to a different group of players- for me, I like a cue that, for my own grip and finger bridge positions, exhibits neither forward nor rear balance, just a feeling of the cue cradling in my hands. NO one rule works for everyone , nor does one rule on this aspect of cue selection benefit all players alike. You need to try all three balance aspects of cues to really find the optimum aspect for you alone. For the 25 or so different custom and production cues that I have used over my lifetime, my Richard Black split diamond cue is my all time favorite in terms of FEEL in my hands i.e. the balance aspect of that particular cue is just right for me- the moment I start to play with it, the feeling of movement is totally effortless, A Mike Capone that I once owned came in very close- I do not think that Mike Capone uses weight bolts at all in his construction, which IMO, is the best way to build a cue for consistent balance felling along the length of the cue butt.

Thanks Mike everything you wrote is logical.

Instead of me asking about the ideal balance point for a person with the attributes listed in my 1st post I should have asked is, what is the "ideal weight distribution" of a cue for me.

Thanks again. I can see that a cue 58" long and has an 18 or 19 inch balance point may not be ideal based on a persons physical makeup.

So, from what I've read i may need a cue shaft that is weighted at the joint (or in the shaft more) and a butt that is weighted for feel (or natural feeling). Since I am tall a 60" cue with the proper weight distribution for feel should work.

Thanks again for your comments. :)

John

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The balance point is not as important with you as you are gripping the cue so far back.