About to buy a custom cue, torn between three great cue makers

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused. How can you buy a cue ( esp an expensive one ) Without hitting balls with one ???? At least you need to be there so you can hit balls with it ! I have seen players using their "new cue' and telling me they 'Have to get used to it' ???? If that is the case, you have bought the 'wrong' cue foe YOU !!
My cues ( playing cues ) were made by a cuemaker that I could drive to and change some things ( weight, wrap, tip, etc. ). I used a number of cues coming up, so it didn't make much of a difference until I learned to play. I went to JOSS cues with some friends and saw what they were doing. I also hit balls with every JOSS I saw. In 1973 I went to see Danny and Tim at the old garage . Danny had made a cue for Lassiter that he had not picked up yet. It was the first JOSS made with a 29in
butt and a 281/2 in shaft. I hit some balls with it and loved it !!! I tried to buy it but Danny wasn't going for it ! lol. He had a forearm started very similar. I Had him build
it to Wimpy's specs. I used that cue for over 25 years of pool.
When Ivory got so expensive , I needed another cue because I didn't use a break cue ( most players broke with their playing cue. So I went to BOB Frey who I knew from working with Tim in the meat locker. BOB was on his own in the basement of his house in Maryland. Once again, I hit balls with some of BOB's cues, Found the ones I liked and had him make a cue to my JOSS specs. We spent time adj.
things ( weight, later on wrap, tips ) until it played like my JOSS . Bob is a great cue maker and a great guy.
I never had to 'get used to a cue' !
Good Luck

carl.j

I'm confused. How can you buy a cue ( esp an expensive one ) Without hitting balls with one ???? At least you need to be there so you can hit balls with it ! I have seen players using their "new cue' and telling me they 'Have to get used to it' ???? If that is the case, you have bought the 'wrong' cue foe YOU !!
My cues ( playing cues ) were made by a cuemaker that I could drive to and change some things ( weight, wrap, tip, etc. ). I used a number of cues coming up, so it didn't make much of a difference until I learned to play. I went to JOSS cues with some friends and saw what they were doing. I also hit balls with every JOSS I saw. In 1973 I went to see Danny and Tim at the old garage . Danny had made a cue for Lassiter that he had not picked up yet. It was the first JOSS made with a 29in
butt and a 281/2 in shaft. I hit some balls with it and loved it !!! I tried to buy it but Danny wasn't going for it ! lol. He had a forearm started very similar. I Had him build
it to Wimpy's specs. I used that cue for over 25 years of pool.
When Ivory got so expensive , I needed another cue because I didn't use a break cue ( most players broke with their playing cue. So I went to BOB Frey who I knew from working with Tim in the meat locker. BOB was on his own in the basement of his house in Maryland. Once again, I hit balls with some of BOB's cues, Found the ones I liked and had him make a cue to my JOSS specs. We spent time adj.
things ( weight, later on wrap, tips ) until it played like my JOSS . Bob is a great cue maker and a great guy.
I never had to 'get used to a cue' !
Good Luck

I'm afraid that some of us don't have the luxury of access to some of these brands and cuemakers. I'm in the UK and there is not one location I could visit to try a range of (American Pool) cues nor cuemakers before buying. No doubt it's a little easier for our European neighbours though.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm afraid that some of us don't have the luxury of access to some of these brands and cuemakers. I'm in the UK and there is not one location I could visit to try a range of (American Pool) cues nor cuemakers before buying. No doubt it's a little easier for our European neighbours though.
After covid....move ! lol. Good luck my friend

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to know. Just another reason i wouldn't live in the UK. I'm up to about 250 so far. ;)

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I added this to my collection yesterday. It is going to be my player. Had a SW in early 80's - sold it for $700. Best playing cue that i

have owned. Hope this cue hits as good.

Attachments

• IMG_9817SW.jpg
    IMG_9817SW.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9796SW.jpg
    IMG_9796SW.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9795SW.jpg
    IMG_9795SW.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: bbb

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I added this to my collection yesterday. It is going to be my player. Had a SW in early 80's - sold it for $700. Best playing cue that i

have owned. Hope this cue hits as good.

Nice cue, is this the SW that you sold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, this is a 2001 year model. The one I sold was a 1980 or 81. At one time I bought about 10 cues from this friend for $200. One was a SW sneaky

pete. I sold it for $400. I had forgotten about that. After this cold snap I plan to start going to the pool room at least 3 times a week.(y)