Active Duty Military and Ivory Cue

Q-Street

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if military members can take their cues w/ ivory overseas and/or back?
 
I'm really not sure, but I don't see why not. It would be best to ask the CO
 
I don't think you are exempt from international treaties

Q-Street said:
Just wondering if military members can take their cues w/ ivory overseas and/or back?

I don't think you are exempt from the international treaties concerning moving ivory into and out of countries. There probably would not be a problem but there is always some risk. With rare exceptions, moving ivory across the borders of any party of the CITES treaty makes it illegal even if it was legal to begin with. I think about 200-250 nations are parties to the CITES agreement meaning almost any you move into or out of including the US.

You have to weigh the risk of losing the cue compared to the desire to have it with you. I don't think anyone can honestly tell you there is no risk involved.

Hu
 
If you are traveling through civilian ports then you are not allowed to import or export anything that is against the laws of the nations you are traveling through.

If you send your cue through the US mail through the military postal system then you can send your ivory cues as that is technically still within the US Borders. However technically you would not be allowed to take your cue off base in a foreign country where the import of ivory goods is not legal.

I say follow the don't ask don't tell policy.
 
I never had any problems with shipping Ivory when I was in (12yrs) I have a few Ivory items that I would send with my household baggage..or when I was single..it would go with my things when the movers came to pick it up when I PCS'd..I wouldnt carry it on you when you went though.

I dont know if it was legal or illegal, but I bought a small elephant tusk when I was stationed in Germany back in 1986..and it went with me everywhere I was stationed....but like I said....it went in my household goods when I moved..I didnt personally carry it.

Go to your JAG and ask them....they can tell ya 100% for sure....I may have been doing it illegally and not known it:rolleyes:
 
I never had a problem I took my hercek all over the world it has a ivory butt cap. Just remember I was always traveling in military planes or boats so I didn't pass thru customs.
 
Back
Top