Advanced Fouetté or Whip Shots in Super Slow Motion

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that shows and discusses impressive fouetté or whip shots used to avoid double hits when there is a small gap between the CB and OB. The shots were executed by Florian “Venom” Kohler and recorded in super slow motion by Pubo Huang. Many of the shots involve secondary contact with the shaft but would be very difficult to call as fouls:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:28 - definition and examples
1:57 - advanced draw fouetté
---- 3:12 - super slow motion
7:28 - advanced follow fouetté
---- 8:10 - super slow motion
9:37 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only comment is I can't wait to try this stuff. :D

Don’t expect to hit them as well as Florian the first time. He practices these a lot.

It does help to use a really whippy shaft.

Also, maybe start with the follow shot since it is easier.

Good luck and have fun.

tomatoshooter

It seems like Venom has a quick backswing and change in direction, which I assume helps him get the necessary cue speed, but goes against a lot of my understanding of using a slow backswing and or a pause. He's obviously able to execute that with precision and smoothness. Is this a technique that I should try to develop? Or would my efforts be better directed at refining the traditional technique? And could you do a video examining Venom's stroke mechanics? I'm sure there's a lot to learn even if the fouette shots are a bit esoteric, at least at my level.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t expect to hit them as well as Florian the first time. He practices these a lot.

It does help to use a really whippy shaft.

Also, maybe start with the follow shot since it is easier.

Good luck and have fun.
You kiddin'? I spot 'im... :eek:

Uh huh...

:p

I have no LD stuff and if I don't have a shaft whippy enough I'll sand one into a cylinder. No silicone (public table) but those shots have awakened something in me. (Mwahaha...) If I can't get the draw action, hitting the shot that forcefully would be worth the bother. Thanks for the inspiration.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, with about a 16th inch clearance, no dice. With about 3/16ths to a 1/4 inch I got one to come back about as much as it would from 2 or 3 inches away. Still fouled but it drew over a foot. 2 racks of that shot. One drew. Done for now.
:D

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You kiddin'? I spot 'im... :eek:

Uh huh...

:p

I have no LD stuff and if I don't have a shaft whippy enough I'll sand one into a cylinder. No silicone (public table) but those shots have awakened something in me. (Mwahaha...) If I can't get the draw action, hitting the shot that forcefully would be worth the bother. Thanks for the inspiration.
hehe here is an old recipe from the french artistic carom players : how to build a decent fouette shaft by yourself :
- start with a 'small games' carom shaft (11.5mm at the tip) , sand the last 1/3 of the shaft to make a kind of 'reverse cone' taper ( = around 11.0mm diameter at 2/3 from the joint , up to 11.5mm at the tip).
put a super soft tip , or an elkmaster. put this shaft on a light butt : since you need a super fast stroke, best is to use a light cue ...

of course you can use a wood pool shaft too -best is to use a small tip diameter, like a verrrrry old shaft- sand the last 1/3 to make it whippy , put a super soft , or a simple elkmaster tip , and use the lightest butt you have.

the more whippy the shaft is, the 'easiest' (<- rofl) it will be to make a proper 'fouette' stroke ...

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hehe here is an old recipe from the french artistic carom players : how to build a decent fouette shaft by yourself :
- start with a 'small games' carom shaft (11.5mm at the tip) , sand the last 1/3 of the shaft to make a kind of 'reverse cone' taper ( = around 11.0mm diameter at 2/3 from the joint , up to 11.5mm at the tip).
put a super soft tip , or an elkmaster . put this shaft on a light butt : since you need a super fast stroke, best is to use a light cue ...

i guess you can use a wood pool shaft, sand the last 1/3 to make it whippy , put a super soft , or a simple elkmaster tip , and use the lightest butt you have.

the more whippy the shaft is, the 'easiest' (<- rofl) it will be to make a proper 'fouette' ...
Thanks. First outing was a Players with a 13mm Le Pro. :D I have an extra long taper sneaky with a 12mm ElkM for next time.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It seems like Venom has a quick backswing and change in direction, which I assume helps him get the necessary cue speed, but goes against a lot of my understanding of using a slow backswing and or a pause. He's obviously able to execute that with precision and smoothness. Is this a technique that I should try to develop? Or would my efforts be better directed at refining the traditional technique? And could you do a video examining Venom's stroke mechanics? I'm sure there's a lot to learn even if the fouette shots are a bit esoteric, at least at my level.

Florian's backswing and transition might be a little rushed, but his grip is really relaxed and he accelerates forward very fast and completely with an unconstrained follow through. That's where his power comes from.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm using a CF shaft which is very not whippy. I'm happy with how it works for the rest of my game so I don't see myself switching, but there's still a lot to learn from here.

If you want to be able to execute whip shots, it helps to have a specialty shaft that is very whippy.

Last edited:

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a little info i forgot to write : in Europe , the specialty shafts for fouette shots are traditionnally build in rowan/mountain-ash wood ('alisier' in french) , with a particular whippy taper (see above #8).

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't really need a cue that is whippy, just the shaft. I personally have done 2mm draw shows with a carbon shaft, and some do in competition, but like Dave said, a wood shaft that has some whip or flex to it, makes theses shots easier. I personally use an I3 shaft from McDermott for these shots. It is 11.75mm but mine is 11.2mm. Great video Dave.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You don't really need a cue that is whippy, just the shaft. I personally have done 2mm draw shows with a carbon shaft, and some do in competition, but like Dave said, a wood shaft that has some whip or flex to it, makes theses shots easier. I personally use an I3 shaft from McDermott for these shots. It is 11.75mm but mine is 11.2mm. Great video Dave.

Thanks.

tomatoshooter

Florian's backswing and transition might be a little rushed, but his grip is really relaxed and he accelerates forward very fast and completely with an unconstrained follow through. That's where his power comes from.
I'm wondering if he gets anything out of the "eccentric contraction", when the muscles are tightening as his arm is still moving backwards. If you wanted to jump, you would probably lower yourself a bit before launching, in a quick motion. I wouldn't slowly lower myself or pause before going upward. Obviously, most pool shots don't need that extra power, and the loss in precision can negate any gains for most of us. Whatever it is, Florian has mastered it.

Thanks for another great video, I'm looking forward to the next one.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's this follow through that's the bear with a pool shaft. Regardless, the shot presents untapped pool potential.