Advice on Finding a League Team

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to get onto a team for the Indianapolis APA league. I've posted on their League website as a player looking for a team, but haven't received any leads.

I haven't been on a league before, therefore I have no handicap established.

How do others get onto teams? Is there a "handicap" given to a new player for an initial rating?

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Most teams are always looking for new players, so I would just head down to the local places that have teams and ask around to see if they need any players.
Around here, most non-beginner players usually start out as a 3 or 4, or higher depending on skill and experience.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact the LO directly. Try Facebook. Give them your name and contact info, and ask them to let their captains know a new member is looking for a team. That's How I just got onto a 9-ball team.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to get onto a team for the Indianapolis APA league. I've posted on their League website as a player looking for a team, but haven't received any leads.

How do others get onto teams? Is there a "handicap" given to a new player for an initial rating?

If you go to an establishment you know has leagues, look for the apa posters on the wall. The league operators name and phone number is usually there. I suggest you call the league operator. They will be glad to help you find a team.

Damn... I see leto beat me to it! Lol. That is the best place to start.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
As others pointed out, contact your local league operator. He can put you on an existing team or form a new team with other people looking to join.

Where I'm from in APA 8-ball men come in as 4, and women come in as 3. In APA 9-ball, I believe is 3 for men. Not sure what it is for women, but women are allowed to go down to 1, whereas 2 is the lowest attainable skill level for men.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
As others pointed out, contact your local league operator. He can put you on an existing team or form a new team with other people looking to join.

Where I'm from in APA 8-ball men come in as 4, and women come in as 3. In APA 9-ball, I believe is 3 for men. Not sure what it is for women, but women are allowed to go down to 1, whereas 2 is the lowest attainable skill level for men.

The National rule is men start as a 4, and ladies as a 3, in both 8-ball and 9-ball.

How and why different LO's change that is a mystery.

The other suggestions that the OP has received are spot on, contact the LO, as well as going in to visit the place where most matches are played and introduce yourself.

Good luck.

IU Ames Mister

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I play out of Eddy's in Noblesville on Thursday nights. I'll PM you the LO's name/phone.
You can also go to indyapa.com, register, and use the contact us link:
http://indy.apaleagues.com

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just called the bars where I knew league play happened until I was in touch with the right person.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
When I did it I just went online and filled out the form and they placed me on a team that played close to where I lived.

plainbutt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to the bars on the night the teams are playing and talk to the captains. You may have to go back every few weeks until a team loses a player. I didn't get anywhere with the LO or website.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Getting on a team is the first step...getting on the "right" team will take a little more time, unless you get lucky the first time.

Still, get on a team and start playing, so you can get to know the people in that division. You can eventually find a spot with a group of people that suits you best.

Good luck!

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I needed 2 low players to fill spots on a team this season. I know a lot of pool players, but not lower level that are not already on teams. I let everyone that works at Stiix (local Hall) I needed someone. With in a week, picked up a young couple that asked at the hall about playing league. So I would say forsure, stop by the local place you play and let them know if they hear of anyone needing a new player to give them your number.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member

Do you have friends or co-workers that play? you could always form/recruit you own team. A lot of teams lose players or get broken up over handicaps...you'll find something, keep looking. Go to a room or bar that has a few teams; the owner/manager will likely know what's up with their teams and may get you on one that's got handicap issues or is losing a player.

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member

My best bet has always been callin the LO, and leave a vm if you have to. The LO will either call u back, or have a Division rep call u back. No answer? Contact the Billiard Hall owner and ask the best way to get in touch with the Div Rep or LO. If that doesn't help, you can also drop a membership form along with a note to return a call and drop it in their dropbox. But most LO's will use their Division Rep to assist if they are too busy. Stil out of luck? You can always revet to their website, but it is a longshot: http://www.poolplayers.com/

For Handicaps, most will start as a SL4 and then leverages out after six weeks or so of play,

I hope that helps.