Advice on moving a table 1000 miles?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MAHA - In point-of-fact, if you carefully re-read the OP, I specifically and only asked for:

1. 'Advice' on how to transport a crated table long-distance from those with real-world experience in these matters, who have solved this transportation problem for themselves in the past (q.v. "Anyone who has dealt with having to figure-out their own long-distance delivery, would you please advise me on how I too might get this done..." - GJ);

And,

2. At no time did I asked for 'Opinions' - as you have misstated above: (q.v. "you asked for opinions and i gave you mine..." - MAHA) - on how I conduct my personal business (q.v. "...no seller is going to let you haul it away and then base whether he gets paid on your acceptance..." - MAHA), and my preferred methods of conducting my financial affairs (q.v. "...you will have to pay in cash..." - MAHA) when dealing with Banks and Estate Trustees across state lines;

And,

3. I certainly never asked to receive the unsolicited and quixotic psychic prognostications (q.v. "...you wont get to buy this..." - MAHA) of the projected future outcome of my business dealings from anyone, at anytime;

However,

I did asked to learn from those with actual past experience in these matter of Long-Distance Transport to estimate what I might expect to the reasonable transportation costs of moving 1200 pounds of crates a distance of 1000 miles to be, based on what their own realized costs were and what method they used. As I stated in my reply post to you, the actual transport quote came in just under $1000.00 - being 1/3 of your Opinion - which only confirmed to me, that the informed and experienced voices - offering advice based on Fact - were coming from directions other than the location which you occupy.

Furthermore,

As to your statement above (q.v. "...then you turned on me..." - MAHA):

1. I merely asked you 3 open-ended, qualifying questions; thereby, offering you to support and expand on the source and validity of your claimed knowledge and insights - all 3 of those questions still remain wholly unanswered at this point in time;

and,

2. I have not, at any time, asked nor offered you to engage in business with me (q.v. "...i would never do business with you..." - MAHA);

and yet, lo-and-behold,

3. The one thing you are 100% correct about, in all statements you have made thus far, (q.v. "...or will post any help for you..." - MAHA); based on our shared experience of the quality and serviceability of your responses to-date, I would say this is the one statement which is most-likely to prove true over time - being of absolutely 'no help' whatsoever thus far, with regard to the question of the thread, specifically being: Advice on moving a table 1000 miles.

Correct you are, Sir. - GJ
You're new here so I'm sure you'll figure it out if you haven't already. There are two certainties of posting on AZB:

1. Opinions on posts will be given whether you want them or not.
2. You post will be hijacked and taken off course at some point.

The sooner you come to grips with these two certainties, the much more enjoyable your experience will be in the community.

I understand what you are wanting to accomplish but a question has yet to be answered: What's so special about that Gold Crown? It is a well preserved, pristine example living its entire life in the seller's home? I'm just trying to capture a shimmer of understanding as to why it has to be this table. If it is a unicorn, the teardown and transportation is a risky proposition for both you and the seller. There really are no "professional" pool table movers specializing and guaranteeing the transport of a pool table without a nick, scratch or ding. If there were, it would cost you much more that $1 per mile. If the intent is as I've described, you are looking for someone akin to an antique furniture mover. Those companies are not cheap.

You seem like a very particular individual, which I can appreciate. I know the purpose of the escrow is to ensure you receive the table in as described condition and in the event it is anything other, you can back out. Truthfully, I see this happening here. It will get some transport scars because the movers will not care as much about the item as you. If it were me and the table in question was an untouched original Gold Crown I, I'd want to see and inspect it before purchase and personally handle the disassembly, packing and transport to ensure it was done properly to my satisfaction. There would be A LOT of moving blankets and shrink wrap involved. Doing it otherwise is a roll of the dice.

Best of luck. I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

GentlemanJames

You're new here so I'm sure you'll figure it out if you haven't already. There are two certainties of posting on AZB:

1. Opinions on posts will be given whether you want them or not.
2. You post will be hijacked and taken off course at some point.

The sooner you come to grips with these two certainties, the much more enjoyable your experience will be in the community.

I understand what you are wanting to accomplish but a question has yet to be answered: What's so special about that Gold Crown? It is a well preserved, pristine example living its entire life in the seller's home? I'm just trying to capture a shimmer of understanding as to why it has to be this table. If it is a unicorn, the teardown and transportation is a risky proposition for both you and the seller. There really are no "professional" pool table movers specializing and guaranteeing the transport of a pool table without a nick, scratch or ding. If there were, it would cost you much more that $1 per mile. If the intent is as I've described, you are looking for someone akin to an antique furniture mover. Those companies are not cheap.

You seem like a very particular individual, which I can appreciate. I know the purpose of the escrow is to ensure you receive the table in as described condition and in the event it is anything other, you can back out. Truthfully, I see this happening here. It will get some transport scars because the movers will not care as much about the item as you. If it were me and the table in question was an untouched original Gold Crown I, I'd want to see and inspect it before purchase and personally handle the disassembly, packing and transport to ensure it was done properly to my satisfaction. There would be A LOT of moving blankets and shrink wrap involved. Doing it otherwise is a roll of the dice.

Best of luck. I hope it works out to your satisfaction.
REXUS31 - "New" to some, perhaps; but this is not my first day at the Rodeo.

I have no problem with people's unsolicited opinions; but, if someone who ate a big breakfast gets easily triggered and then posts that I personally attacked them because I asked them 3 direct qualifying questions to expose their nonsense, so be it; but to then have to read their ensuing melt-down... nope.

I will set them straight; but, in my typical gentlemanly way.

Not sure what type of response someone would expect in response from me; but, perhaps he confused my icon for that of Dr Phil, by oversharing his meltdown with me; but, I'm not the type who suffers fools and then, hands-out hypo-allergenic cozy blankets, gluten-free cookies, non-petroleum based crayons, and non-GMO, grass-fed, lactose-free warm milk as a reward for bad behavior.

I do appreciate your post.

I don't know why you have concluded I am buying a Gold Crown. Perhaps you confused when I responded to to fellow-member GoldCrown, when I began my response-post to him with "GOLDCROWN -" as done above as "REXUS31 - "in my above response to you, to mean that I was indicating I was buying a Gold Crown table?

I do that so the person knows I am specifically speaking to them and their question. - GJ

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
REXUS31 - "New" to some, perhaps; but this is not my first day at the Rodeo.

I have no problem with people's unsolicited opinions; but, if someone who ate a big breakfast gets easily triggered and then posts that I personally attacked them because I asked them 3 direct qualifying questions to expose their nonsense, so be it; but to then have to read the ensuing melt-down... nope.

I will set them straight; but, in my typical gentlemanly way.

Not sure what type of response someone would expect in response from me; but, perhaps he confused my icon for that of Dr Phil, by oversharing his meltdown with me; but, I'm not the type who suffers fools and then, hands-out hypo-allergenic cozy blankets, gluten-free cookies, non-petroleum based crayons, and non-GMO, grass-fed, lactose-free warm milk as a reward for bad behavior.

I do appreciate your post.

I don't know why you have concluded I am buying a Gold Crown. Perhaps you confused when I responded to to fellow-member GoldCrown, when I began my response-post to him with "GOLDCROWN -" as done above as "REXUS31 - "in my above response to you, to mean that I was indicating I was buying a Gold Crown table?

I do that so the person knows I am specifically speaking to them and their question. - GJ
Got it. Sorry for the confusion. Normally, when you quote a contributors post, it's common knowledge you are replying to them and they are notified as such. No harn no foul.

So what type of table are you considering purchasing?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me you have pretty much everything figured out since the FL Mechanic will build crates and you've received a $1K bid on
travel cost.
If all that is still questionable, I'd likely contact a Moving Co. There's plenty of LTL pickups/shipments made by Moving Co's.
They will need to know the # of crates and approx dimensions and weight of each. The guy building the crates should have a good idea on this.

GentlemanJames

So what type of table are you considering purchasing?
REXUS31 - It's a later 1950s Anniversary; and, according to the family contact I am in touch with was definitely ordered and delivered in-home pre-1960; and has been in the immediately family ever since - with only 2 relocation moves: one in the early 60s; and, once again in the late 80s to it's current location.

The mechanic will confirm the exact date of manufacturer when he gets into it; but, that's not at all the important thing to me. It's the provenance of the table which makes it special to me; and, that's information which I am keeping to myself until this deal is done. Once in my possession, I'll be happy to post pics of the table with the accompanying ephemera which documents the table's history. - GJ

Seems to me you have pretty much everything figured out since the FL Mechanic will build crates and you've received a $1K bid on
travel cost.
3KUSHIN - Exactly; perfectly stated. All I am waiting on at this point is the probate to come to completion, so the executor of the estate and I can consummate the purchase through their trust attorney. - GJ

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
REXUS31 - It's a later 1950s Anniversary; and, according to the family contact I am in touch with was definitely ordered and delivered in-home pre-1960; and has been in the immediately family ever since - with only 2 relocation moves: one in the early 60s; and, once again in the late 80s to it's current location.

The mechanic will confirm the exact date of manufacturer when he gets into it; but, that's not at all the important thing to me. It's the provenance of the table which makes it special to me; and, that's information which I am keeping to myself until this deal is done. Once in my possession, I'll be happy to post pics of the table with the accompanying ephemera which documents the table's history. - GJ

3KUSHIN - Exactly; perfectly stated. All I am waiting on at this point is the probate to come to completion, so the executor of the estate and I can consummate the purchase through their trust attorney. - GJ
Very nice find. I figured is was something special.
I guess I mentioned a Moving Company is, there happens to be 2 neighbors that own Moving and Storage companies. Although relatively small compared to folks like United, they both have Nation Wide reach. It'd sort of be a stroke of luck if there was a truck within striking distance of the pickup and also traveling near you, but thought it was worth a try to piggyback onto an LTL trip. That said $1K firm quote and dedicated to you is a decent deal IMO.

My only experience with this is picking up a table myself, about 150miles. Several years later purchased a table to ship to my house from Belgium.
My mechanic helped me load that beast in a van. 10'Rails and 50mm slates.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

GentalmanJames, Howdy;

Sounds like it may have survived the Honeymoon, and moved from Miami to Lauderhill, Fl. as it's last move.
If I'm correct then you definitely have a gem. No need to confirm until you are ready.

hank

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey gentleman guy
did you call billiards etc?
if you did wht did they say?
if you did not
why do i bother posting?

GentlemanJames

Hey gentleman guy
did you call billiards etc?
if you did wht did they say?
if you did not
why do i bother posting?
BBB - I was never in need of a mechanic; just advice on the best ways to transport a created table 1000 miles; and that is now no longer as issue, and the inspection/break-down/creating mechanic never was an issue. So, no; I did not call - but, I do appreciate your input and sharing your referral nonetheless. Thanks again. - GJ

Last edited:

GentlemanJames

GentalmanJames, Howdy;

Sounds like it may have survived the Honeymoon, and moved from Miami to Lauderhill, Fl. as it's last move.
If I'm correct then you definitely have a gem. No need to confirm until you are ready.
THEBASICS - This table is not in Lauderhill, and, it has been at it's current location since the late 80s. - GJ

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THEBASICS - This table is not in Lauderhill, and, it has been at it's current location since the late 80s. - GJ
GentalmanJames, Howdy;

Was just curious, not prying. Although if it had been "The Great One's" that would be something to
brag about. chucklin'

hank

GentlemanJames

GentalmanJames, Howdy;

Was just curious, not prying. Although if it had been "The Great One's" that would be something to
brag about. chucklin'

hank
THEBASICS - No worries, Brother Hank.

The specific well-known table which you are referring to - which is not the table I am dealing with - and, from what I understand, contractually remained in the Willow Wood Rd home, as a contingency of the sale of the property to the next owner of the estate. Apparently, that famous table remained in the home until the estate was again put on the market many years later; and subsequently removed and not included as part of the sale of the home to owner #3 - but, don't quote me on that point.

Again, not the table I am involved with; but, whomever it was that ended-up with the table you are talking about, must have 'chuckled'... indeed, and said: "Mmmm, how sweet it is!" when they moved it out. - GJ

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
You might find someone that's moving into your area from there, and split the UHaul costs.

Last edited:

RacerX750

Registered
Looking at an available 9' table from a private home in Florida - which I have wanted and been looking for years - problem is that it is located 1000 miles from me.

Aside, from the obvious answer of "find the same model/year closer to you, get something else, keep waiting", I am wondering what is the most cost-effective way to transport a crated table to my home from so far away?

I will be hiring a local mechanic to go look the table over; and, if he gives the Thumbs-Up on the slates, sub/rails, and frame, he will be breaking-down the table and crating it up for transport for me - but that is it. I don't know anyone in the area with a van, ect; and, the mechanic doesn't offer LD delivery service. Since it is a private sale, I will be depositing the money in an Escrow account, with disbursement of payment to the seller contingent upon acceptance after deliver to me; so the driver needs to be bondable.

I'm thinking this is a job for a one guy with a van after the load-in to make the road trip. I'm not looking for a set-up with delivery, as I have my own local mechanic, so this would just literally be delivering crates, around 1200 pounds.

Anyone who has dealt with having to figure-out their own long-distance delivery, would you please advise me on how I too might get this done and what I should expect to pay for someone driving the created table to me 1000 miles?

Thanks. - GJ
Agree with fly there and do it yourself. I moved 1,600 miles a few years ago. Broke my table down (9' Diamond), loaded it into a rented 20' Budget truck with 1/4" plywood between the slate. The rails were wrapped in the old cloth. Then a great mechanic assembled it at my new home.