Advice Wanted

Wright Shot

Sugartree Madness
Silver Member
When my first wife died I bought myself a Mottey to help get me out of a serious clinical depression. Over the years the Mottey has increased in value and I have never regretted the decision. To this day I often think of her when I pick up the stick to play.

Buying yourself a fine cue may keep you off the cigarettes for a long time to come if you make a serious acquisition.

If there is a down side I suppose it is in the idea that I will never let that cue stick go - and it has appreciated considerably over time. My resolution is that my grandchildren will one day have it and they will know the story behind it.

Nice story Bud!

Chris

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in Shanghai also at the moment. Do you only play at Oscar's or in pool room/s also?

Perhaps we can meet for a game sometime. Am not too good but like to play.

bobforest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can catch me in the Shed (near Jing'An) on Tuesdays... i don't go to Oscars much anymore - just Thursday League night nowadays

Occasionally play at a pool hall on HuaiHai Lu.... and I keep meaning to check out 021 Club near Hongmei as I hear it has Brunswicks...

I'm no great player - just love to shoot when i get the chance

Where are you playing?

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can catch me in the Shed (near Jing'An) on Tuesdays... i don't go to Oscars much anymore - just Thursday League night nowadays

Occasionally play at a pool hall on HuaiHai Lu.... and I keep meaning to check out 021 Club near Hongmei as I hear it has Brunswicks...

I'm no great player - just love to shoot when i get the chance

Where are you playing?

Am staying in Xujiahui at the Ramada on Tianyaoqiao Lu. There is a small pool room about a block away. No Brunswicks but pretty good 9 foot tables with tight pockets and fast cloth.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been wanting a custom cue for a while now, but could never justify the cost, I don't play enough really (2 jobs and an online Master's Degree in progress) but I do love the game...

Anyway, just quit smoking and decided to treat myself - even got the missus to let go of my balls and release the funds...

So... what should I get? having a hard time deciding and so decided to come on here and ask you guys...

Budget is $2-3k possibly up to 4 for something super awesome...

I love TADs but the fancy ones will be out of my price league... Lambros, Carmelli, Omen, Prewitt,.... and??? I like fairly old-school designs

What would you recommend??? I'm after a player and not a museum piece

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

Bob
Are you looking to have a cue built or do you want to buy one already built?

Are you looking to have it shipped to China or do you want to buy it in China?

Some of the well-intentioned posts might get eliminated if we had some ground rules.

Freddie <~~~ in a Sarek state of mind

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
You're going to get lots of advice and opinions. It really comes down to this and nothing else...........You can buy someone else's cue & obviously that person's cue specs..........or you can order a cue and get exactly what you want in a cue weight, butt diameter, shaft weight & sizes, etc.

Those are your options and when you buy a cue versus ordering a cue, you wind up getting a cue someone had ordered with their cue specs which are probably different than yours. Make sure you know what you want in your cue and browse cue dealer websites and AZ, e-Bay, anywhere you prefer. You'll get a feel for "used" cue prices and even new ones and see how close you come to finding what you want. Don't settle for a 19.4 oz cue if you really want a 19.0 ozs., or shafts that are 13mm when you really prefer 12.85mm or a cue butt that's a little too fat versus one that has a diameter more comfortable in your hands. This is your first venture in high end cues and so do it right..........or else you'll eventually want to do it over.

I couldn't find a ivory joint cue with the weight I wanted even though I listed 17 cue-makers in my thread.....only one cue even came close. Sellers tried convincing me that the weight difference in their cue from what I wanted was insignificant........yeah, to them because they wanted a sale. But for me, I insisted on getting what I want, and only one cue came close and my budget was mentioned in my post ($2500 - $4000). I also contacted many cue dealers to try locating a cue but nothing ever came from it, except one and that cue was more than I wanted to spend. So I decided to have a custom cue built to my "exact specifications", even down to the forearm and butt sleeve designs. I considered 7 cue-makers, checked out their reputations, cue workmanship and selected one to build my cue. Now it's going to take 8-9 months to get my cue but I'll wind up with exactly what I want instead of some other cue owner's specs if I had purchased their cue.

Your biggest challenge is to exercise patience, and thus refrain from buying any cue based on its looks or the cue-maker's name. However, if you haven't sufficient playing experience to know what you really want in your cue, then blast away and buy anything you see that you like. And in all likelihood, you'll going to eventually change cues down the road when you perfect your game unless it's already at that stage. Rest assured, with your cue budget, you can buy some great cues but there are still cue-makers you can't even touch unless the cue was a SP or a merry widow version......those are cues you wouldn't want to consider even it the cue was made by Joel Hercek, not when you can buy another cue-maker's much more handsome cue for a lot less too.

Make a sale thread in the Wtd Sale/Buy section and describe exactly what you want, or the cue-makers you're interested in and sit back and sort thru the replies. You list a budget of $2500-$4000 and you'll get assaulted with offers which you'll have to sort out on your own.

This sums it up pretty well. The only thing I would add is this: If you're picky about weight, don't overlook balance. One cue at 19oz will feel completely different from another 19oz cue if the balance is different. As far as cue makers go, don't overlook Leon Sly. You can get a lot of cue for the money with him and he does gorgeous work. You'll see his stuff in the cue and case gallery a lot.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Cue

I haven't hit with one, but I would consider having Mangino make me one for that kind of money. His cues are a work of art.