Well, I have had some health issues lately, so I haven't been posting. Been trying to stay afloat with the carpet store while dealing with the doctors and having "self-employed insurance." Who'd a thunk something would've gone wrong right at the moment of the Grand Opening? Anyway, here's for the three people that asked. Quite the twist to the ending here.
Well, there is this super nice kid (I say "kid", he's about 27 and I'm mid forties) who has as much desire as I did when I was his age. So, we play races to nine or seven for a beer, or something similar. I give him the seven and the break so we both have to play hard. I'm probably ahead with that spot; but, he's very solid. He's one of those kids that it won't take a year and he'll be playing even. Let's call him Kevin. So... I ran into Kevin about two months ago and he wanted to go out and hit some spots. Well, I know of quite a few guys that might take about the same spot, so I figured, with me doing the talking, he might find action.
Off we went to a poolroom about a half an hour away. We went in and commenced to play our parts. I pretty much figured I had no action, so I would be the stakehorse. We both are asking around and I get Paul talking about playing Kevin. So, they set it up and race to seven for $50. I knew this was tough action for the youngster, but this is exactly what he needs.
Kevin is a quiet lad and doesn't even bark back when he's being sharked. Paul is doing his share... and Kevin's. But, Paul is getting edged out by my "up and comer." 7-6, 7-5. So, he starts asking for the last two. And, I get involved. You know the routine. "There's not three games between you. I don't even like him playing you even." Well, this Paul gets over the top with me. "What have you got to do with it? It's easy to talk when all you are doing is watching. I'd bet you can't make a ball in the Atlantic Ocean. You can get the eight, baldy." Oh shit, I thought we'd seen eachother before. I guess I'd been outta touch except in my own little world for a while, now. "I don't play for $50. I paid my way through college playing pool and used to be a great player. I just don't play any more." He's laughing his ass off at this. Truth be told, I almost always laugh at this too(like the way I used "all of the lines?") . "Bet what you want." He was playing the taunting role, now. "Tell you what, if I can borrow Kevin's cue (mine, really) I'll play you a race to nine for $300. Oh, I'm sorry. No more laughing?"
Anyway, he plays. And oh my dear Jesus, has me 6-2 and breaking. If you'd have seen the way this lead came about, it was amazing. Give you an idea....4 on the break and a one/nine combo. Anyway, I get back to 6-6 and he takes a break. He walks over to Kevin and is chatting. A long break..... Matter of fact, he's still on break. I haven't seen him since. I've been back in there and noone has seen him. How funny is that? Typical. Come to find out, Kevin had told him these words, "Man, Keith gives me the seven and the break. I can't believe you're hanging in there giving him the eight."
Don't worry, he knows the rules now. I still haven't seen Paul.
Well, there is this super nice kid (I say "kid", he's about 27 and I'm mid forties) who has as much desire as I did when I was his age. So, we play races to nine or seven for a beer, or something similar. I give him the seven and the break so we both have to play hard. I'm probably ahead with that spot; but, he's very solid. He's one of those kids that it won't take a year and he'll be playing even. Let's call him Kevin. So... I ran into Kevin about two months ago and he wanted to go out and hit some spots. Well, I know of quite a few guys that might take about the same spot, so I figured, with me doing the talking, he might find action.
Off we went to a poolroom about a half an hour away. We went in and commenced to play our parts. I pretty much figured I had no action, so I would be the stakehorse. We both are asking around and I get Paul talking about playing Kevin. So, they set it up and race to seven for $50. I knew this was tough action for the youngster, but this is exactly what he needs.
Kevin is a quiet lad and doesn't even bark back when he's being sharked. Paul is doing his share... and Kevin's. But, Paul is getting edged out by my "up and comer." 7-6, 7-5. So, he starts asking for the last two. And, I get involved. You know the routine. "There's not three games between you. I don't even like him playing you even." Well, this Paul gets over the top with me. "What have you got to do with it? It's easy to talk when all you are doing is watching. I'd bet you can't make a ball in the Atlantic Ocean. You can get the eight, baldy." Oh shit, I thought we'd seen eachother before. I guess I'd been outta touch except in my own little world for a while, now. "I don't play for $50. I paid my way through college playing pool and used to be a great player. I just don't play any more." He's laughing his ass off at this. Truth be told, I almost always laugh at this too(like the way I used "all of the lines?") . "Bet what you want." He was playing the taunting role, now. "Tell you what, if I can borrow Kevin's cue (mine, really) I'll play you a race to nine for $300. Oh, I'm sorry. No more laughing?"
Anyway, he plays. And oh my dear Jesus, has me 6-2 and breaking. If you'd have seen the way this lead came about, it was amazing. Give you an idea....4 on the break and a one/nine combo. Anyway, I get back to 6-6 and he takes a break. He walks over to Kevin and is chatting. A long break..... Matter of fact, he's still on break. I haven't seen him since. I've been back in there and noone has seen him. How funny is that? Typical. Come to find out, Kevin had told him these words, "Man, Keith gives me the seven and the break. I can't believe you're hanging in there giving him the eight."
Don't worry, he knows the rules now. I still haven't seen Paul.
Last edited: