Age Related Decline

RacerX750

Registered
I had a back problem and they did xrays MRIs everything imaginable. They said it was sciatica . It was so painful some times it made me throw up. I prayed to God for relief and started sleeping in my recliner , My back started to feel a bit better and I went back to the bed , a few days later I'm miserable again. Now I only sleep in the recliner at about half way back . My sciatica is gone {Thank you God } after about a week and although it is not really as comfortable as a bed , I can deal with it to get rid of that pain. You might try it and see if it helps you.
I had sciatica, and virtually got rid of it with reverse hyper-extensions. Talk to your doctor first, and start without any weight.

At what age do you feel that age related decline in ones game is inevitable ,assuming general good health and average eyesight? Can lots of practice help offset decline or is it just a fact? Thanks
I am 73 YO and have been playing since I was 8 YO. My game was declining but since I had Cataract surgery I'm shooting straight as ever. The old saying is when your eyes go your game goes. Well my eyes are back and so is my game.

Istarted2late

I might as well throw my 2 cents into the mix. I am 72 and never played until I was 65. I was never allowed to go to the local pool hall as a kid let alone play. My dad was always in there playing cards, and the one time I did slip in he got ahold of me and pulled me outside threatening me with an ass-whupping. He was serious about that, too. He didn't have any business gambling and didn't want me telling Mom about it. I never knew, and I'm satisfied she didn't either. So, after making a believer out of me, I just stayed away. I was one of those skinny, intellectual kids until high school when I discovered hunting which became my passion. I became very fit but still not stout enough for sports. I had grown up watching the TV show Lassie and decided I wanted to become a forest ranger, so when my senior year rolled around I focused on picking a college to which I could get scholarships and that offered a forestry program. I was still hunting and shooting as much as possible and mowed 20 some lawns every week, so I remained fit. College came and went successfully, but that was at a time when a lot of servicemen were returning from Nam, and many of them had been drafted while employed as foresters. Those who worked for the Forest Service got first dibs on their old jobs. Of the 100 plus forestry graduates in 1971, only 2 got jobs in the field ourjust not something I could continue doing with everything first year out. Their dads were politically connected. Many went on to graduate school, but I knew that my parents could no longer help me financially. I did get a summer job with the Forest Service, but I had met a gal and fallen in love...or so I thought, and when the summer was over I moved back home and we got married. I worked a number of physically demanding jobs that kept me fit and continued to hunt. She became a nurse, and we eventually had 2 daughters. I still had a strong interest in forestry, and her parents gave us the chance to purchase 40 acres at a very reasonable price. I planted it all in Christmas trees and kept working other jobs. All of this kept me very fit, and so it continued until we divorced. I was in shock and stress took over my life. By this time I needed stability more than anything else. I had been subbing on a local rural mail route for 13 years to help make ends meet as well as doing forestry consulting, landscaping operating a stump removal service, etc and as age had crept up on me, I jumped at the chance when a full-time rural carrier position came open. I continued the forestry consulting which kept me fit. I had also bought out her interest in the 40 acres as part of our divorce settlement, and I planted it in hardwood trees instead of replanting the Christmas trees as I harvested them. For those who don't know, there is a lot of physical work involved in growing and maintaining trees, and even though it was a labor of love, it was

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I WAS one of the lucky ones. I had been a very good player for over 65 years. For the last several years I have played out of Hard Times Sacramento and California Billiards in Fremont. Both rooms have a very competitive monthly one pocket tournament, and I have won many of them. In 2011, at 72, I finished 7/8th in the US Open One Pocket Championship in Las Vegas, losing to the 2nd/3rd place players who finished behind Efren. The same year I beat SVB in The Chuck Markulis Memorial One Pocket Division at Hard Times, and went hill/hill with Corey Deuel who won the tournament. At 80/81 years old, I made the hot seat at four of the last six monthly one pocket tournaments I played in at Hard Times, Sacramento before COVID came along. I won the first Super Seniors One Pocket at Bogies in Houston a few years back, beating a who’s who of former champions. I came in third the next tournament, losing to Billy Incardona and Bob Ogburn.

Now, I am afraid I am done, and just lucky to be alive. In Feb of this year I could not walk and went to emergency at Kaiser. Cancer had metastasized in my spine. They took out the tumors and fused my back. Last week I was released from a skilled nursing facility after 6 1/2 months. Believe me, I am a happy camper to be home, getting around fine in a walker. I may never hit a ball again, but the memories and friends I have made playing pool all over the country, will last me til I die, and thanks to good luck and great medical care, that should not be anytime soon. John
John and I go back about fifty years and he is legendary in West Coast pool circles. He's always been one tough competitor. You take care of yourself sir. I'll see you down the road.

Istarted2late

I might as well throw my 2 cents into the mix. I am 72 and never played until I was 65. I was never allowed to go to the local pool hall as a kid let alone play. My dad was always in there playing cards, and the one time I did slip in he got ahold of me and pulled me outside threatening me with an ass-whupping. He was serious about that, too. He didn't have any business gambling and didn't want me telling Mom about it. I never knew, and I'm satisfied she didn't either. So, after making a believer out of me, I just stayed away. I was one of those skinny, intellectual kids until high school when I discovered hunting which became my passion. I became very fit but still not stout enough for sports. I had grown up watching the TV show Lassie and decided I wanted to become a forest ranger, so when my senior year rolled around I focused on picking a college to which I could get scholarships and that offered a forestry program. I was still hunting and shooting as much as possible and mowed 20 some lawns every week, so I remained fit. College came and went successfully, but that was at a time when a lot of servicemen were returning from Nam, and many of them had been drafted while employed as foresters. Those who worked for the Forest Service got first dibs on their old jobs. Of the 100 plus forestry graduates in 1971, only 2 got jobs in the field ourjust not something I could continue doing with everything first year out. Their dads were politically connected. Many went on to graduate school, but I knew that my parents could no longer help me financially. I did get a summer job with the Forest Service, but I had met a gal and fallen in love...or so I thought, and when the summer was over I moved back home and we got married. I worked a number of physically demanding jobs that kept me fit and continued to hunt. She became a nurse, and we eventually had 2 daughters. I still had a strong interest in forestry, and her parents gave us the chance to purchase 40 acres at a very reasonable price. I planted it all in Christmas trees and kept working other jobs. All of this kept me very fit, and so it continued until we divorced. I was in shock and stress took over my life. By this time I needed stability more than anything else. I had been subbing on a local rural mail route for 13 years to help make ends meet as well as doing forestry consulting, landscaping operating a stump removal service, etc and as age had crept up on me, I jumped at the chance when a full-time rural carrier position came open. I continued the forestry consulting which kept me fit. I had also bought out her interest in the 40 acres as part of our divorce settlement, and I planted it in hardwood trees instead of replanting the Christmas trees as I harvested them. For those who don't know, there is a lot of physical work involved in growing and maintaining trees, and even though it was a labor of love, it was
Well, shoot. This is not all that I posted yesterday, and my editing didn't show either. What I was eventually getting at was that soon after I retired I started having some health issues, and a friend talked me into shooting pool with him and several other older guys. I was their whipping boy as they enjoyed ganging up on me, but I persevered and after a couple of years was able to keep up with them and then exceed their capabilities. However, I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last year which metastasized to my spine and hips. I still enjoy shooting but am nowhere as good as I was just a few short years ago. My point in telling this is that those of you who were fortunate enough to play since your younger days should be very thankful that you had that opportunity. I'm certainly not looking for sympathy as I have had a good life, but pool is/was so much fun that I feel a little bit "cheated" and sincerely hope that none of you who can still shoot well ever disparage those of us who can't.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, shoot. This is not all that I posted yesterday, and my editing didn't show either. What I was eventually getting at was that soon after I retired I started having some health issues, and a friend talked me into shooting pool with him and several other older guys. I was their whipping boy as they enjoyed ganging up on me, but I persevered and after a couple of years was able to keep up with them and then exceed their capabilities. However, I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last year which metastasized to my spine and hips. I still enjoy shooting but am nowhere as good as I was just a few short years ago. My point in telling this is that those of you who were fortunate enough to play since your younger days should be very thankful that you had that opportunity. I'm certainly not looking for sympathy as I have had a good life, but pool is/was so much fun that I feel a little bit "cheated" and sincerely hope that none of you who can still shoot well ever disparage those of us who can't.
Great post!! Hang in there, as long as you enjoy it, it can be therapeutic. And screw what anyone else thinks.

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
I had a back problem and they did xrays MRIs everything imaginable. They said it was sciatica . It was so painful some times it made me throw up. I prayed to God for relief and started sleeping in my recliner , My back started to feel a bit better and I went back to the bed , a few days later I'm miserable again. Now I only sleep in the recliner at about half way back . My sciatica is gone {Thank you God } after about a week and although it is not really as comfortable as a bed , I can deal with it to get rid of that pain. You might try it and see if it helps you.
I have a left sciatica that can get pissed off if I'm not careful....pain killers are useless because you "break through" them...2nd opinion doc sent me to physical therapy and 1 exercise in particular (that you can do standing up) took away all the pain by the second day (after 2 weeks of constant pain). I don't even have to do it all the time but if I feel that little twinge coming on I just stop whatever I'm doing and do the exercise 3 or 4 times and viola! all good.

Kind of hard to explain here but if you want to email me your phone number I can explain it over the phone fran@benchmarkfin.com I'm in San Diego, CA

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My CMC joints (thumb joints) have disintegrated. The pain is 24 hours a day. I can't make my usual hand bridge without some adjustments not to mention the distraction. If I use my hands too much, the pain becomes severe and keeps me awake at night. An operation to replace the joints is planned for this winter.