"Aiming Systems" are Junk, DO the Work!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, no answer on Rodney Morris endorsing cte before.

Wasn't Darren Appleton endorsing the SEE System one time too.

When US Open winners start endorsing aiming systems they've never heard of before they won their major titles, the endorsement is kinda doubtful.

It's kinda like Allsion Fisher and Jeanette Lee endorsing some expensive laser gizmo.

Lol. Good point. And it doesn't mean that aiming systems are junk and not beneficial to players looking to improve. It just means those pros didn't use or need the systems or gizmos they happen to be pushing.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every single cut shot, when the CB strikes the OB anywhere other than 100% full, is a fractional hit. That's just a fact. So, actually, fractions can define every shot. I doubt AtLarge or Bob J or Dr Dave would disagree with that basic fact.

Aiming one millimeter thinner or thicker creates a +/- 1-degree change in shot angle. It's about a 64th fractional aim difference. This precise amount of fine tuning is not difficult and usually not needed. When the ob is within 2 of the pocket, using the nearest 1/8 aim point will work. As the ball gets farther out and the margin of error shrinks, a more precise fractional aim is needed. But it's not guesswork.

The shot might fall somewhere between a 5/8 and a 1/2 ball aim. If it's dead between the two then you know to aim dead between the two aim points, which would be aiming 1/32 thinner or thicker. You wouldn't be thinking in terms of 32nd aim points -- you'd simply be using common visual sense. If the shot is closer to a 5/8 aim than it is a 1/2 aim, then you'll be aiming slighty thinner than a 5/8 instead of dead in the middle of the 5/8 and the 1/2. You'll be aiming between that middle point and the 5/8 aim point. That would be a 1/64 thinner than a 5/8 aim. And as I've said, it's not a complicated math solution. It's a simple visual comparison between known aim points.

I think you have addressed the tweeners aspect of your system quite well.

For myself, when I did teach fractions and for what I taught my son, I used the quarters systems. It's an excellent system, short of professional, that can be used every shot without any calculations. It's a 5 line system that I was first exposed to by Tom System. It's my favorite system outside of CTE. I will teach it on YouTube if there's enough interest for it. I won't kid anyone about the gaps. They're there. It's like Cornerman recently said....if you are using more than 5 lines you are overdoing it. Hal touted the same thing. There's only a handful of lines.

Stan Shuffett

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

For myself, when I did teach fractions and for what I taught my son, I used the quarters systems. It's an excellent system, short of professional, that can be used every shot without any calculations. It's a 5 line system that I was first exposed to by Tom System. It's my favorite system outside of CTE. I will teach it on YouTube if there's enough interest for it. I won't kid anyone about the gaps. They're there. It's like Cornerman recently said....if you are using more than 5 lines you are overdoing it. Hal touted the same thing. There's only a handful of lines.

Stan Shuffett

Thanks. I wasn't sure how it would read because I was confusing myself as I typed it! In fact I had to edit it right afterwards.....the quoted 32nds and 64ths should've been 16ths and 32nds. The 5-line system sounds interesting. I'm always open to learning.

And now I'm gonna squeeze some table time in while my wife and daughters are out shopping!:thumbup:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I wasn't sure how it would read because I was confusing myself as I typed it! In fact I had to edit it right afterwards.....the quoted 32nds and 64ths should've been 16ths and 32nds. The 5-line system sounds interesting. I'm always open to learning.

And now I'm gonna squeeze some table time in while my wife and daughters are out shopping!:thumbup:

Whew! Saved me a little time. I would have thought that in this, The Aiming Forum, there would have some interest in getting my presentation of the quarters system, the fractional system that can be employed for every shot. Little did I know that years ago when I did use it, it served as a good stepping stone into the world of CTE. Anyway, I'm chucking my offer to side for lack of interest.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Whew! Saved me a little time. I would have thought that in this, The Aiming Forum, there would have some interest in getting my presentation of the quarters system, the fractional system that can be employed for every shot. Little did I know that years ago when I did use it, it served as a good stepping stone into the world of CTE. Anyway, I'm chucking my offer to side for lack of interest.

Stan Shuffett

Hmmmm.....not sure why no one is interested in the Quarter system. It's a basic fractional ball aiming system, isn't it? Which means there's a lot of guesswork, or trial and error involved before one can become proficient. That was always the problem with traditional fractional aiming -- knowing exactly which fraction to use. The difference between my system and traditional fractional systems is I've made it possible to know the proper fraction to use instead of relying on experience or guesswork.

Anyhow, many pool players are notoriously egotistical, too proud and stubborn to publicly admit that an aiming system has helped their game, or could help their game. They/we want other players to think we're better simply because we're more talented, not because we stumbled onto some system or special knowledge. This doesn't apply to all pool players, of course, but I'd say it applies to the majority.

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmmm.....not sure why no one is interested in the Quarter system. It's a basic fractional ball aiming system, isn't it? Which means there's a lot of guesswork, or trial and error involved before one can become proficient. That was always the problem with traditional fractional aiming -- knowing exactly which fraction to use. The difference between my system and traditional fractional systems is I've made it possible to know the proper fraction to use instead of relying on experience or guesswork.

Anyhow, many pool players are notoriously egotistical, too proud and stubborn to publicly admit that an aiming system has helped their game, or could help their game. They/we want other players to think we're better simply because we're more talented, not because we stumbled onto some system or special knowledge. This doesn't apply to all pool players, of course, but I'd say it applies to the majority.

You have your opinion. Fractional systems have guesswork to include yours. What's superior about a 4/5 fractional line system to yours is that is can be used effortlessly for every single shot even to include as a foundation for spin application. You admittedly don't use your system in competition every shot ( NOT EVEN CLOSE) and I can understand why. It's impossible to bring it to bear as an every shot routine( too much thinking) and even if you do you will have to do tweeners.

I will reset my offer for explaining on video the proper way for a using a fractional system if there's a sufficient interest.
I think that you are dead wrong in surmising that the low interest for my fractional spill is because what I would present would be an inferior version to yours. Personally, I think that the readers on this forum don't give a hoot about fractions, period. That's the reason you must incessantly piggyback onto CTE. Fractional stuff can't get any traction in and of itself.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Stan Shuffett
stan
i would be interested in the 5 line system
if you dont want to put it on you tube
i am sending you my email via pm if you wish to make a short private video and email it to me..if you send it private i will not share the knowledge or video unless i have your ok
i would be happy to pay you for the time and effort...
as you know i want to among the first to get your book...:smile:
larry (bbb)

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stan
i would be interested in the 5 line system
if you dont want to put it on you tube
i am sending you my email via pm if you wish to make a short private video and email it to me..if you send it private i will not share the knowledge or video unless i have your ok
i would be happy to pay you for the time and effort...
as you know i want to among the first to get your book...:smile:
larry (bbb)

Thanks!
Let's see what percolates here, interest-wise. I love teaching fractions! They're so easy to teach and very simple to use. It's a shame that they're gap oriented but that's the nature of one liners with one's nose behind the cue ball center.

Stan Shuffett

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have your opinion. Fractional systems have guesswork to include yours. What's superior about a 4/5 fractional line system to yours is that is can be used effortlessly for every single shot even to include as a foundation for spin application. You admittedly don't use your system in competition every shot ( NOT EVEN CLOSE) and I can understand why. It's impossible to bring it to bear as an every shot routine( too much thinking) and even if you do you will have to do tweeners.

I will reset my offer for explaining on video the proper way for a using a fractional system if there's a sufficient interest.
I think that you are dead wrong in surmising that the low interest for my fractional spill is because what I would present would be an inferior version to yours. Personally, I think that the readers on this forum don't give a hoot about fractions, period. That's the reason you must incessantly piggyback onto CTE. Fractional stuff can't get any traction in and of itself.

Stan Shuffett

I'm interested in any video you make, thats a given.

I study your mechanics very closely.

I still havent figured out completely, this mystery of certain shots, like straight ins from the end rail, favor a elbow slightly out or in depending on what corner pocket one is shooting to, yet, the shot is still a straight in and nothing hindering the body or visual alignment.

I guess it must be because the stroke arm is on one side of the body vs the shot line and stroke bias. I do know it is a lot harder to stroke or "angle right" for a right handed player.

I'm very tempted to ask you the reason why, even though i know it can be done from any elbow position, but one position is definitely more user friendly than the other, but like i said, it "depends" and i havent figured out definitively as to why yet.

But you know I cant ask for the answer.

Thanks Mr. Shuffett and do whatever video you feel like if you got time or motivation.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in any video you make, thats a given.

I study your mechanics very closely.

I still havent figured out completely, this mystery of certain shots, like straight ins from the end rail, favor a elbow slightly out or in depending on what corner pocket one is shooting to, yet, the shot is still a straight in and nothing hindering the body or visual alignment.

I guess it must be because the stroke arm is on one side of the body vs the shot line and stroke bias. I do know it is a lot harder to stroke or "angle right" for a right handed player.

I'm very tempted to ask you the reason why, even though i know it can be done from any elbow position, but one position is definitely more user friendly than the other, but like i said, it "depends" and i havent figured out definitively as to why yet.

But you know I cant ask for the answer.

Thanks Mr. Shuffett and do whatever video you feel like if you got time or motivation.

Thanks for your encouragement, Paul. You are number 3.

Concerning straight-ins, let's say a pure zero angle. Regardless, if it's a zero alignment for CTe there are two ways to proceed---one inside and one outside, the cue alignment will always be straight no matter which choice. The zero angle dictates that and CTE knows that a zero angle is dead straight or even if it's a mm or two off of dead ..CTE still aligns you accordingly.

Stan Shuffett

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
stan
i hope you will at least do a private video
there are people who are supportive of you
:):):):):):)

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stan
i hope you will at least do a private video
there are people who are supportive of you
:):):):):):)

I'm no stranger to doing a video. A video exercise can be good therapy. I'd like to see about 10 folks request this video lesson.

Stan Shuffett

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan,

Put a video on here so I can check it out.

I'm open to anything that helps people out.

Aloha.

hogie583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see it also Stan... while your shooting the video can you show us an easy way to always find the quarters? Thanks.... cant wait for the book!

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no stranger to doing a video. A video exercise can be good therapy. I'd like to see about 10 folks request this video lesson.

Stan Shuffett

Pretty sure we could get you 100 instead, but if 10 is enough, it's a done deal and I'll make sure of that Mr Shuffett.

Yes, that's right, its Mr. Shuffett from me to you from now on. I was never trying to insult you in any way, but I don't think I need to be calling you STAN as if you're the guy i buy my gasoline from.

Thank You sir.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possible fraction aiming video

Mr. Shuffett
The last thing I need is another aiming method in my 'arsenal' I'm in love with CTE.
BUT....I am curious like an old cat and like to see all kinds of stuff
I'd love to see you make the fractional aiming video since I enjoy your straight forward, no BS, teaching methods very much.
I'm down for liking it.
Regards and keep on truckin'
Pete
:thumbup:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
And what happened to Rodney Morris's endorsement of cte ?

Rodney never "endorsed" CTE. He said that he beat the ghost and was pocketing confidently AFTER Stevie Moore showed him some things about CTE.

That was the extent of the CTE comment. The implication Rodney was giving was that whatever Stevie showed him was helping him out.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I just felt his comments were not too convincing. John B parades this clip as a pro endorsement of CTE, but Brandon clearly states that he only uses it sometime, like the way I use my own system -- on occasion and as a jump start to get me back in stroke. From what I've gathered, CTE pro one users are not part-time/occasional users. They use it full-time, every shot.

We worked on a script for three hours..... no we didn't, we did a quick video and everything said was completely unscripted. What you didn't see was Brandon explaining it and FIRING balls in from ridiculous places at warp speed.

Again, CTE is a tool. Like a good tool you might use it a lot but maybe not always as it's not the only tool. But as Brandon said when you REALLY want to be sure and get dialed in then you use it for sure.

Brandon is fully on board with CTE. The thing is though that OBJECTIVE aiming systems, in general, are useful as you now well know.

I think that it's great that people are now arguing about WHICH aiming system is best and not so much about whether aiming systems work - thread title notwithstanding.