Aiming systems or See and Shot?

Richie12332

I have practiced numerous aiming systems, and no doubt, it has inproved my gaming alot (aka I still suck). I like using different systems for different shots, but sometimes I can't make up my mind what is the system works best for the shot. I sometime just pick my contact piont and shot and it feels better the checking every shot with a system. When i do use a system I usually check in with another system or two. Do the pros use systems and if they do, do they for every shot? Is there a piont where every shot is muscle memory?:confused:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Aiming systems are a great learning tool. However I feel continued reliance on them tends stifle progression. Just like at some point your mechanics need to be unconcious in order to be consistent, the same goes for aiming IMO. the more you think about while playing, the more difficult you make the game on yourself.

For me, eventually I feel the only thing that should be running through your head for the most part is which ball you are shooting, what you want to do with the ball and where you want the cue ball to end up.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ritchie...Just FYI, "Feel" is a legitimate 'aiming method', that most players use, either in part or as a whole. Having supreme confidence in your stroke is what leads most players to better accuracy. If you're really confident, you rarely have huge swings in your playing ability. Shallow drops, when you make an error (which can be quickly corrected)...but not the big slumps that plague many players.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have practiced numerous aiming systems, and no doubt, it has inproved my gaming alot (aka I still suck). I like using different systems for different shots, but sometimes I can't make up my mind what is the system works best for the shot. I sometime just pick my contact piont and shot and it feels better the checking every shot with a system. When i do use a system I usually check in with another system or two. Do the pros use systems and if they do, do they for every shot? Is there a piont where every shot is muscle memory?:confused:

Have you heard of CTE, awesome system...:)

kevpull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Choose a system

Choose one of the systems and master it to the best of your ability. Keep the others but adopt one as your "Main" system

jake-a-licious

jake--licious
Joe Tuckers aiming by the numbers is a vicious aiming system workout that i would recommend to anyone. I used it and it agitated me severly at first but after a week of sticking to it i saw a vast improvement.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I had an interesting discussion with a fellow instructor last night. We were talking about aiming systems, and both agreed that we are on the edge of a revolution in the way pool players will approach aiming in the future. Systems such as Pro One, and more recently, the new SAME AIM system being introduced by RandyG and the SPF team are probably going to replace many of the old systems many have used in the past.

When you can simply drop into the shot, find the middle of the cue ball, and fire the shot in, it can't get any easier. I personally can't remember being as excited about the potential for improvement since I first attended pool school years ago.

Steve