Air travel in the US

str8shot

Crack Em' Hard
Silver Member
My team is heading to vegas in August for nationals and I am just wondering on suggestions for traveling with cues. Good ways to pack? Case? Etc...

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a big duffle bag that a small hard case fits in. I put it in and then pack clothes around it. I haven't had a problem with that. I do know pros that have just checked their cue case and had it show up on the other side without cues or even not show up at all. I always fly southwest. I think they have less of a problem with baggage handler theft than other airlines. Also, I use a very hard case that is prett rough. Doesn't look like someone would put a valuable cue in it.

Some photographers I know declare a firearm and pack it in the same bag as their camera gear if they have to check it. This forces the Feds to track and lock your bag and verify the contents at the other end. To me it might make sense with $25K worth of photo gear but not my $500 Schon.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My team is heading to vegas in August for nationals and I am just wondering on suggestions for traveling with cues. Good ways to pack? Case? Etc...

I bought a JB Rugged case for just this purpose. Hard outside, lots of padding, *zips* fully shut, and not too pricey. I especially like the zipper, since I can see other types of latches coming open.

Good luck in Vegas!

str8shot

Crack Em' Hard
Silver Member
I am kinda on the same wave length as the first two posts was thinking throw my cue in a 1x2 rugged then pack it safely in my bad. I think that pelican is too much for me as I am only taking one cue with me to vegas. Thanks for the replies so far keep them coming

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I would 1x2 case it and then stick that in your suitcase. Should be enough room, I would think.

bartlejwtc13

Registered
my jb rugged case will fit diagonally in our suitcase with the top open, no need to worry about the cues coming out of the jb. We put it on first then pack around it. Also another thing to worry about is the weight of the bag, stay under 50 to avoid extra charges with most airlines. On your home scale weight yourself, then weight you holding the bag off the floor and subtract. A $25 second bag fee is cheaper than the $100+ overweight fee.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can also ship to hotel before you arrive. Plenty of stories about lost luggage with cues in them, including mine. Although in my case they lost my bag on the way home, then found it 2 weeks later.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Per TSA you have to check your cue. I bought one of these a few years back and it works well for me. I use a TSA approved lock. Similar bags are available through online billiard retailers. It's large enough for a 1x2 or 2x4 and few t-shirts and shorts.

Lou Figueroa
underwear optional :-o

Attachments

• rsz_1img_0065.jpg
    rsz_1img_0065.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 276

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This is how alot of people do it. I just make sure to get a rolling duffle that is 62" OAL or less in case the airline decides to enforce an oversize luggage fee. Plenty of room for a week in Las Vegas.

I have a big duffle bag that a small hard case fits in. I put it in and then pack clothes around it. I haven't had a problem with that.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Many of the largest sized suitcases will fit your cue case in diagonally. Almost all of the largest suitcases are near the airline maximum OAL of 62" (Length + Width + Height = 62"). Even though the large size suitcases are all similar volume and OAL, they have slightly varying shapes. The ones that are the longest (or tallest depending on how you want to look at it) are going to be most likely to fit a case the best. If one is 28" long and another is 30" long, the 30+" long one will be more likely to fit a case diagonally.

Another hint is that if your cue case is just short of fitting diagonally, a soft sided suitcase (instead of the hard sided ones) will often deform just enough (into a very slightly diamond shape instead of perfectly rectangle) to let your cue case fit in anyway.

They also make super long suitcases as well as wheeled duffels that work well. I would suggest either a large suit case that will fit your cue case diagonally, or something like the very long rolling duffel below which is convenient because it has wheels so you won't have to lug it everywhere on your shoulder, plus your cue case will fit in it easily without even having to be diagonal, and there should still be plenty of room left for all your clothes and everything else you are taking on your trip. Shop around and you might be able to find a good deal on something like it somewhere.
https://www.rei.com/product/878305/rei-co-op-wheely-beast-wheeled-duffel-34

This same type thread pops up every year around this time and the most popular answers always seem to be a large duffel bag or a bat bag as I recall.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One additional point that comes up as well: some have reported not being prevented from taking their cues as carry-on. This seems to depend on location and/or who is working, so I personally would only try this if I had one of those bags (like Lou posted) that let me check the bag if I had to.

I myself have always used a long rolling bag that fits a 2x4 case with no problem. Unfortunately it is no longer being made.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Pool cues are still on the no carry on list for TSA. Just because you encountered one TSA who either didn't know or arbitrary and capriciously let you slide, could come back to bite you at the next TSA checkpoint encounter.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/pool-cues

One additional point that comes up as well: some have reported not being prevented from taking their cues as carry-on. This seems to depend on location and/or who is working, so I personally would only try this if I had one of those bags (like Lou posted) that let me check the bag if I had to.

I myself have always used a long rolling bag that fits a 2x4 case with no problem. Unfortunately it is no longer being made.

Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool cues are still on the no carry on list for TSA. Just because you encountered one TSA who either didn't know or arbitrary and capriciously let you slide, could come back to bite you at the next TSA checkpoint encounter.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/pool-cues

I know they are on the no-carry list.

However, some people have been able to do it. As I said, I would only take the chance if I was prepared to check the cues in a separate carrying case if required.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
If there's anybody on your team that usually carries one of those mega-cases that has
15 cues and 5 breakers and enough chalk and gear to outfit the entire APA tournament
tell them to pare it back a much smaller case and a max of 1 player and if they absolutely
must 1 breaker. If you can talk everyone into using the same breaker that's all the better.
If you're all traveling together collect everyone's 1X1 or 1X2 case and pack them in an army duffle.
Close and secure and check it on through to Las Vegas.
If anyone buys a cue or shaft out there they can stop by a UPS and pick up a shipping tube for
$4 or $5 and pack it up with the rest of cues for the return flight.
Don't get saddled with more crap to keep track of that what you actually need, keep it simple,
no one needs more than a player, a couple of cubes of their personal preference of chalk (if they do that)
a tip tool, their lucky marker and a pack of gum

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a padded check bag specifically for pool cases at SBE this year. It holds my hard 3x5 Scorpion case AND a 4x2 square tube case (and a jacket, t-shirt, and hat), and only cost $30. No idea the vendor, but it has a pool shark (think fish) emblem on it. I've flown with it a couple of times already, and it works great.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gideon...The only problem with testing the TSA, is that you will have to go back out past security to check your bag. Then you have to go through security again...might not be worth the time and effort. I check mine every time I fly (rare), and have only had one issue in 30 years.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

str8shot

Crack Em' Hard
Silver Member
Can also ship to hotel before you arrive. Plenty of stories about lost luggage with cues in them, including mine. Although in my case they lost my bag on the way home, then found it 2 weeks later.

Thought about this but just recently I had a custom "lost" in transit. This is becoming a freaking epidemic amongst the usps.

Race2-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trvl with pool cues

The company that ships golf clubs ( I think it's called stick ship) will send them with guarantee and not very expensive at all. Maybe save more by getting team to mail together.....tracking made easier. Just food for thought if tired of cost/problems with USPS, Parcel Post, and Fed Ex