Alternate break is ruining pool

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I forget which Tourney, but last year watch Corey D soft break and play shape 1 to side and another ball then make combo on 9 the was set up on the break. He did that a bunch in a row. In theory he could close out a match on a table breaking like that. Especially a shorter race like 7 or even 9

So if a match is supposed to show who the best player is at that particular moment, how does a format that does not allow the other player to the table demonstrate who was best at that particular time?

For top level competition, I like the format where you limit the number of breaks in a row eg race to 9 max 3 breaks in a row, excluding the 1st break if that was decided by lag. Reward for skill on the lag. If its a coin toss then 3 is the limit

Race to 5, two breaks in a row; excluding the 1st break if that was decided by lag. If its a coin toss then 3 is the limit

Race to 11, 4 breaks in a row; excluding the 1st break if that was decided by lag. If its a coin toss then 3 is the limit

FOR REGIONAL TOUNEYS
If you want to get more players out, you need to have formats that encourage the lessor players to compete to compare their game, gain competitive experience learn from playing better players.

Best way to expand the base of players and grow the game.

There are reasons why Snooker has sponsors putting up millions a year for pro tourneys and pool has sponsors putting up thousands.

A lot is to do with player attitude and public perception. Many in the public view pool a vehicle for shady cheap rounders and hustlers. What sponsor wants to step up with their $$, with that perception in the minds of the public.

I was watching D O on you tube clearly cheating by racking the balls with what I guess was a 1 " tilt on the rack. He only stopped because the other player called the ref over to make him stop. Imagine a potential sponsor looking for some exposure tuning into see that lack of professionalism.

Compare that with many top Snooker tourneys - guys playing for tens of thousands of pounds (prize money is not predominately derived from player entry fees), a player knows he fouls by touching a ball - ref misses it, other player doesn't see it, but the player stands up and calls a foul on himself. Public perception - Snooker is a gentleman's game - Sponsors get good exposure and put up big $$

Since Cory seems to ALWAYS be the example of a soft breaker beating everyone.....my question is why hasn't ANYONE put in the time to practice breaking soft and beating Cory at his own game....or is there no other player on the planet smart enough to figure out the soft break??

realkingcobra

Silver Member
alternate break produces, (just my guess) many more hill/hill games than winner break. or at least closer matches.

that favors the poolroom/tournament organizer, if you have to pay entry plus plug quarters per game.

I recently played in a tourney where you had entry/ Plus .75 per game, race to 9 both sides, alternate break. I'm sure the room wouldn't make near the same as if it was winner break.

Shorter races are a huge factor in alternating breaks, as its harder to start pulling ahead of your opponent before the match has ended.