American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship (Oct 24-29), Norfolk, Winner $10K

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not Eurotour, but the European championship is every year and done in 8,9,10 and 14.1. The league system in Germany is a team combo league, one Matchday is covering 2 of each. So, yes, there is way more competitive opportunity on 14.1 in Europe.
Yes, this is very important. Should any of us be surprised that all four semifinalists (Zielinski, He, Fortunski and Jungo) were European. As the hardcore gamblers at pool so often say, "pool is a different game when someone is firing back at you."

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although he had been outplayed tactically by Jungo to that point of the match, it was the safety battle at 11:05:32 that gave Zielinski his chance to win the title, but after winning the safety battle, hie didn't cash in the chance presented, and Jungo ran 40+ to close it out. It was, more or less, consistent with the tone of the entire match --- Jungo did just a little more with his chances than Zielinski and it added up to a first-place trophy.

Those who practice their 14.1 by playing against the ghost alone would have been unprepared to succeed in the tricky tactical sequences found in this final.
The shot that Zielinski missed on the 5 ball was hardly an easy shot - extremely difficult in that situation although obviously he must have thought he could make it.

In hindsight, he would’ve been better taking an intentional foul even though that may have resulted in a -16 to his score (3rd consecutive foul if I’m not mistaken).

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Zielinski prevailed in the safety battle in the 130s that looked like it might decide the title. After beating Jungo to the shot, however, Zielinski had a bad miss on a five ball and Jungo ran out the match. ...
A little more on that -- Zielinski's last shot in that safety battle was an intentional foul that left the cue ball on the foot rail near the right foot pocket with two or three balls open for difficult shots. Jungo accepted the challenge, shot at the long 13-ball to the left head pocket, and missed. Zielinski then ran 7 before missing that 5-ball you mentioned, which was not a particularly difficult shot -- a "bad miss," as you said.

[References to "left" and "right" sides of the table are as the player looks from the head of the table to the foot.]

Last edited:
Reactions: sjm

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They both looked exhausted to me down the stretch. Forget about anyone over 40 years old-they would have fell over like Paul Newman did in the Hustler. 🙏🏼 seriously.

These 2 kids are bullet proof and barely made it to the end. Was a great match I thought. Both showed huge heart and was a tremendous final.

Looking forward to more 14.1 like this. The equipment was good. Not too easy, not too hard. The balls were proper colors. And they both had wooden shafts as I recall.

Good stuff
Fatboy Approved 💪💪😃

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
And they both had wooden shafts as I recall.
Along these lines - it'd be cool if there was a 14.1 tourney where you could only play with Rambow spec cues, mud balls (is that even possible to get nowadays?), on old cloth, etc.

Like how golf does one off tournies with hickory clubs only.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along these lines - it'd be cool if there was a 14.1 tourney where you could only play with Rambow spec cues, mud balls (is that even possible to get nowadays?), on old cloth, etc.

Like how golf does one off tournies with hickory clubs only.
Love to see the pros play with the exact clubs Bobby Jones played with.
Those blades had a sweet spot the size of a dime.

My first set of clubs were Maxfli Australian blades.
Persimmon woods came with the set.
Years later when my game was off I would take out those Australian blades for a couple of rounds
and my game would come right around with my newer clubs.
Nothing sounded better than hitting those persimmons in a wooded teeing ground.

Nick8400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love to see the pros play with the exact clubs Bobby Jones played with.
Those blades had a sweet spot the size of a dime.

My first set of clubs were Maxfli Australian blades.
Persimmon woods came with the set.
Years later when my game was off I would take out those Australian blades for a couple of rounds
and my game would come right around with my newer clubs.
Nothing sounded better than hitting those persimmons in a wooded teeing ground.
Persimmon woods and an old school wound ball like a Titleist tour professional. It was like hitting a stick of butter. Thinking about it makes me wanna dig out the old clubs and play a vintage round.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Persimmon woods and an old school wound ball like a Titleist tour professional. It was like hitting a stick of butter. Thinking about it makes me wanna dig out the old clubs and play a vintage round.
Hitting those balls with a stiff high 7 iron was like watching a bird flutter through the air.
Even when balls changed I always looked for the softest feeling ball.
Stopped playing golf about 15 years ago and don't even remember why.
Got back into pool after a 40 year lay off from playing pool and have never looked back.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Having a hard time with Bobby Chamberlain interrupting Dawn Hopkins every 3 seconds at the start of the Women’s Finals match. Dawn actually had to say, “Did you hear what I said?” because he talks over her :confused:
Use the mute button then. Duh.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HHTwIeI.png

This is the shot I was surprised Jungo didn't take. Eventually he sold out to Zielinski with this layout:

sYdHMJz.png

Zielinski did a good job clearing up the mess but then missed this shot:

m7tvvtd.png

It was a pretty inexplicable miss and Jungo was lucky to get back to the table and have a chance to close out the match, which he did.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HHTwIeI.png

This is the shot I was surprised Jungo didn't take. Eventually he sold out to Zielinski with this layout:

sYdHMJz.png

Zielinski did a good job clearing up the mess but then missed this shot:

m7tvvtd.png

It was a pretty inexplicable miss and Jungo was lucky to get back to the table and have a chance to close out the match, which he did.
For these players, it certainly appears to be a makeable cut shot on the 13 in the top frame.

The miss down the side rail looked like he just took the shot for granted and played too much bottom outside, which twisted the OB off the rail, and at the pace it was struck it rattled on him.

When the OB is that far from the pocket and either frozen or nearly frozen, outside spin can be risky unless absolutely necessary for positioning. Center ball will result in a more forgiving pocket and allow the OB to hug the rail. Just my opinion.

gerryf

Having a hard time with Bobby Chamberlain interrupting Dawn Hopkins every 3 seconds at the start of the Women’s Finals match. Dawn actually had to say, “Did you hear what I said?” because he talks over her :confused:
It was common for the commentators to talk over each other. When there was a third person in the booth, it was common for all three people to be talking over each other. It didn't help that the commentators were so often wrong about what the player was going to do next.

I've grown to like having a single commentator - particularly if it's someone like Alex Lely.

My favourite commentator experience was a match a couple of years ago. The two commentators are talking about something unrelated to the game, and the crowd breaks into applause. Commentator 1 says "What happened there? I missed it." Commentator 2 says, "I don't know, I wasn't watching."

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m sure it’s been said, but what were the size of these corner pockets?….
….I’m guessing they had to be at least 4-1/2” pockets and playing bigger than that due to the new cloth, forgiving pocket facing angles or most likely a combination of both.
As soon as the final match finished, I jumped on one of those tables and hit balls for an hour. It played quite nicely, as long as you didn’t try to bang one into the corner. Likely the new cloth helped. Geez, I and thought my noisy 30 yr. old ball-return Diamond was a good table. Like changing from driving an old Chevy to a new Cadillac!

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know if Peter Burrows and his team will extract . . . for viewing as a single entity, just the final match -- Jungo vs Wictor -- out of the massive 12-hour assemblage of closing matches presently viewable on Youtube?

Arnaldo ~ Thanks in advance
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone know if Peter Burrows and his team will extract . . . for viewing as a single entity, just the final match -- Jungo vs Wictor -- out of the massive 12-hour assemblage of closing matches presently viewable on Youtube?

Arnaldo ~ Thanks in advance
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The lag is at about 8:05:20, so you can go directly there. But, yes, it would be handier to have a standalone video for the final match for people trying to watch it in the future.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lag is at about 8:05:20, so you can go directly there. But, yes, it would be handier to have a standalone video for the final match for people trying to watch it in the future.
They did exactly that, in the year that Ruslan Chinakhov was victorious in the final match. Seems likely they'll soon do it for Jungo's win unless they want to monetize it somehow.

Arnaldo
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________