Another Anniversary Rebuild

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't know what to tell you bud. I sent the rails out and had them rebuilt and cushions installed. The mechanic then came to my house and set the table up and installed new cloth. I don't know if i mentioned this but this isn't my life's work or anything. I just really like the looks of the table. And for a turd I think it plays really well. That may change down the road, and if it does ill pay someone else to make it play better. I just painted the turd.

I think Rob went a little overboard with his statement about your table being a polished turd as he missed the point that you did most of the work yourself, and hired a mechanic to do some of it as well, in which you did nothing wrong in my opinion. The only thing there is about having someone rebuild the rails, lots of so called table mechanic's lay claim to being able to do that level of craftsmanship, but they fall short of what it is to actually rebuild those types of rails, but I'm sure they have pride in the work they do perform. Replacing cushions is just that, replacing cushions...as most table mechanics do perform such tasks on a regular basis as part of their job. I fault no one for not at least trying their best to perform that task, and the reason is, because there is no, nor has there ever been any education in this industry as to show anyone how to perform that task correctly, to which includes the repairing and modifications needed to be performed to the rails to insure the 100% correct playability of the table worked on, so...people just do the best they can.

The two word "polished turd" description I feel should be reserved for those "selling" those so called polished turds as "rebuilt, refinished, restored" pool tables of collectable value, because those are deceiving words used to describe something that wasn't performed during the task of getting the table ready for "sale"

Glen

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
jchown - you asked about the light I built for my Anniversary. Here's a couple better pictures.

Attachments

• tablelight1.jpg
    tablelight1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 191
  • tablelight2.jpg
    tablelight2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 191

shayne87

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anniversary

Thought you Anniversary guys would enjoy this.

Attachments

• img_97891.jpg
    img_97891.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 155

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to refresh our memories...

This
is a polished turd

round-turd-big.jpg

This is not a polished turd

3100166749_46dddc0689.jpg

Congratulatons!!! You can well be proud of all your hard work and your entire restoration. :thumbup2:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just to refresh our memories...

This
is a polished turd

View attachment 403624

This is not a polished turd

View attachment 403625

Congratulatons!!! You can well be proud of all your hard work and your entire restoration. :thumbup2:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

Years ago when I use to work in the residential market place, I use to see Anniversaries that looked that good all the time....on the outside! When I'd take them apart to install new cloth, the first thing I'd have to do is dig out my can of bondo' mix some up and fill in the cloth reliefs because so much wood was missing it was a joke, you couldn't get a staple shorter than a 1/2" to hold the cloth to the bottom of the rails, but I guess if it looks good on the outside....that's all that counts right;).....I don't do that kind of work anymore and have no problem in telling the customer the rails need rebuilt and if they don't want to do that, I have no problem picking my tools up and leaving.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited: