Another APA "situation" would like an opinion on

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I have a couple of situations arise during the past few weeks. APA 8 ball. the first one being;
While playing a guy I freeze my ball to another one of my balls because of a "table roll" so a shot I often do is' to jack up my cue like 90 degrees with my bridge hand off the table in an effort to not bad hit or double hit the cue ball like a masse

i did this and make it which I often make these type of shot and the oponents captain starting yaking about that not being allowed and a 10 minute delay ensued trying to find the rule in the book. nothing was found.BTW

and then the other night while playing in a different division. I told the opposing team that I had to shoot and leave to go to work before 9 . that was fine. they put up a guy who has never beaten me in his past 4 attempts even thought he went down to a 5sl.
anyways they start off with this f--ed up music screeching crap.

then they then play a song 4 times back to back to try and drive me nuts(they knew I hated the song) so Im up 3-0 and I miss an 8 ball barely sitting it in the pocket. since i was pissed and in a hurry. I shot it in for my opponent.

their guy breaks and launches the cue ball off the table, I shoot, run 6 balls and kinda safe him so he'll break out my trouble ball. the guys captain comes up from the bar and says the game is over I "forfeited" I said what are you f--ing nuts?. he said: because I shot the 8 ball in it was the same as breaking my cue down. I said well thats officially the dumbest shit ive ever hear . this time a call to the league Op comfirmed what I said there is no rule like this anywhere.

plus i said even if it was a rule once their guys breaks the next rack it would be null and void.

So does this sound like tactics to "shark" me or am I over reacting. the 2nd one really pissed me off because i had to go to work.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I have a couple of situations arise during the past few weeks. APA 8 ball. the first one being;
While playing a guy I freeze my ball to another one of my balls because of a "table roll" so a shot I often do is' to jack up my cue like 90 degrees with my bridge hand off the table in an effort to not bad hit or double hit the cue ball like a masse

i did this and make it which I often make these type of shot and the oponents captain starting yaking about that not being allowed and a 10 minute delay ensued trying to find the rule in the book. nothing was found.BTW

and then the other night while playing in a different division. I told the opposing team that I had to shoot and leave to go to work before 9 . that was fine. they put up a guy who has never beaten me in his past 4 attempts even thought he went down to a 5sl.

then they then play a song 4 times back to back to try and drive me nuts(they knew I hated the song) so Im up 3-0 and I miss an 8 ball barely sitting it in the pocket. since i was pissed and in a hurry. I shot it in for my opponent.

their guy breaks and launches the cue ball off the table, I shoot, run 6 balls and kinda safe him so he'll break out my trouble ball. the guys captain comes up from the bar and says the game is over I "forfeited" I said what are you f--ing nuts?. he said: because I shot the 8 ball in it was the same as breaking my cue down. I said well thats officially the dumbest shit ive ever hear . this time a call to the league Op comfirmed what I said there is no rule like this anywhere.

plus i said even if it was a rule once their guys breaks the next rack it would be null and void.

So does this sound like tactics to "shark" me or am I over reacting. the 2nd one really pissed me off because i had to go to work.

from the way you describe it i say you over reacted. it sounds like you were on half tilt the whole nght thinking the other team was out to get you or something.

sounds like you were sharking your self.

and oh yea... its not just an apa thing. i cant tell you how many times i have had to get clarification over cock a mamie rules other teams have come up with in apa....napa...bcapl....and in house money leagues.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Some people will do/try anything to win. Poor sports

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you were right both times. Don't be upset. You won.

Nobody likes a sore winner. :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just because you shot with the cue up does not make it a good hit. It can still be an illegal push shot even if not a double-hit. I thought the APA did not call those fouls anyway?

The second thing, you forfeited the game not the match, and either case once the next game started and no one said anything, it's too late.

mcesarey

Just because you shot with the cue up does not make it a good hit. It can still be an illegal push shot even if not a double-hit. I thought the APA did not call those fouls anyway?

The second thing, you forfeited the game not the match, and either case once the next game started and no one said anything, it's too late.

He said the cue ball was frozen to the object ball, so there's no issue with a double-hit. It's only one hit if they're touching....the heart-ache comes into play when there's a tiny gap between the cue ball and object ball. APA is very, very vague about how they treat this situation in the rule book. APA is careful to not isolate the weak players, so they say something like "as long as the cue is elevated it's not a foul", which is stupid.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Sounds like you were right both times, and that you let them get to you in the second instance.

Too bad crap has to happen...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He said the cue ball was frozen to the object ball, so there's no issue with a double-hit. It's only one hit if they're touching....the heart-ache comes into play when there's a tiny gap between the cue ball and object ball. APA is very, very vague about how they treat this situation in the rule book. APA is careful to not isolate the weak players, so they say something like "as long as the cue is elevated it's not a foul", which is stupid.

There are two fouls that can happen when they are touching or close, double hit or a push. I was talking about a push foul. Which the APA does not call, but is still a foul. Double hit is when you hit the cueball with the tip twice, a push is when your contact with the cueball is longer than the instant one on a regular hit. Both can be tough to call if whoever is watching does not know how the cueball reacts.

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah thats why I keep my hand off the table so i can get the cue tip out of the way from fouling. and yeah my tilt did start with that song playing 4 times back t back I would never try to win other than on the table. and dont appreciate it when others do.

I wasnt trying to say that it was strictly and APA thing but thats the only league I play in at the moment/

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It sounds like you may have over reacted a little :smile:
It also sounds like maybe in both cases they were trying to get under your skin and it was working.
If I could have one wish for all of my APA brethren out there in the world it would be stop b1tchin' and play.
These guys that spend all their time reading the rule book, these same guys that can't rely on their own skill to win need to reach into the book and read the rule about the shooter making the call if there is no referee, then they need to read the rule about how to protest an issue they don't agree with. But before it ever gets that serious they need to realize that it's the APA. Drink your beer, don't be a door mat but don't be a dick either. Any discussion as to whether or not it was a foul / bad hit, or whatever shouldn't be more than a couple of calm sentences long:
"That looked like it could have been a foul, was it?"
"I didn't think so, I'm sure I hit my ball first. If I would have hit your's first your ball would have moved this way"
"OK, you're right, nice shot"
"Thanks. We good?"
"We are, Please continue"

OK, maybe only in my world because I don't give anyone any reason to question my integrity and they know what to expect from me, I've earned that conversation.
C'mon people, there's no reason for APA nights to be anything but fun, flirting and drinking. If it's more than that, some fun competition, you should consider another league where the game is far more serious

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a novice captain who didn't know the rules and you over reacted in the second instance. It's the home field advantage. I've had bars open there doors on humid nights so the balls would cluster to make it harder to run out. When somebody calls dumb fouls don't get angry ...look at the rule book call the operator if you have to and move on.

mcesarey

Sounds like a novice captain who didn't know the rules and you over reacted in the second instance. It's the home field advantage. I've had bars open there doors on humid nights so the balls would cluster to make it harder to run out. When somebody calls dumb fouls don't get angry ...look at the rule book call the operator if you have to and move on.

Being in the Florida panhandle, this is a huge issue for us. A lot of the bars in our league are run by non-poolplayers, and have no idea that you can't leave the door open or the tables will play like crap.

I agree that you shouldn't let yourself get too worked-up....it's APA, and designed to be fun. The rules are designed to favor weaker players (slop/take what you make on the break/loose rules on the double-hit). I've only made a scene one time over the double hit and that's because another 7 was giving a time out to a 2 and was instructing her to do a flagrant double-hit. Other than that, even if it's a 5 or a 6 I don't even bother....not worth it.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You have gotten some good replies. The only thing I want to add is that you need to begin focusing fully on the table, and work on putting perceived sharks, moves, and music you don't like out of your mind.

Also I hope none of your competitors in league read your posts because you are giving them a road map to follow in how to get under your skin.

It is a hard thing to do, but it can be done.

Sounds you are an APA 2...too good to play. League pool is ridiculous.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Their tactics were absolutely to shark you. And they did.

I do wish the APA would send out a newletter article on raised cue shots and frozen balls. People in bar leagues will let a non-existent rule run like wildfire.

And if you were in a another format, you might get legitimately caled for concession of a game which in turn might lose the next game, too. Not that I've ever seen it enforced, but a concession in 8-ball by knocking in the 8-ball early is rare. Though a cute story in Billiards: Hustlers and Heroes... is a nice example.

Personally, I think they know you're a hothead. Why else would playing a song intentionally over and over to tilt you would even be a tactic of any kind?

Freddie <~~~ has a long tilt playlist

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next time you (OP) play that team, play that song 10 times yourself. Get in their heads. Reverse psychology is a biitch. :)

But then he's paying for the jukebox. I'd learn a few more songs by the same artist and when they play it, say "Hey, can you play this other song next"?

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok thanks for the replies and yes Im kinda a hot head if I think players are trying to win anywhere but on the table. the song thing was def a move becaue a guy that was on our team went over to theirs and is well aware that this dumb ass ICP song drives me nuts

I have always been guilty of paying attention to outside things such as conversations and noises and unneeded movements. so maybe that makes me an APA2 then:confused: whateverthat means?

I always try to have fun and look forward to league nights and on this particular night I was supposed to work 12 hours and I gave up 4 hours overtime so I can shoot and It seemed to be turned into games off the table in an attempt to win. so yeah when I give up 150$ to shoot i dont apreciate the stunts, (yeah I know Im crazy but I love to shoot)

As far as the jacked up shot goes: I never shoot into the OB straight its always on an angle its hard to explain nobody was saying it was a bad hit they were saying that I couldnt have my grip hand above my shoulder or some crap.

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone talks so they are well aware how to piss me off I guess Ill bing home some Ear plugs