Another APA "situation" would like an opinion on

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being in the Florida panhandle, this is a huge issue for us. A lot of the bars in our league are run by non-poolplayers, and have no idea that you can't leave the door open or the tables will play like crap.

I agree that you shouldn't let yourself get too worked-up....it's APA, and designed to be fun. The rules are designed to favor weaker players (slop/take what you make on the break/loose rules on the double-hit). I've only made a scene one time over the double hit and that's because another 7 was giving a time out to a 2 and was instructing her to do a flagrant double-hit. Other than that, even if it's a 5 or a 6 I don't even bother....not worth it.

Well I disagree with the notion it's designed to be fun. Playing for fun is winning trophies .. There giving away trips to Vegas. That's gonna bring out the ego and asshole in people lol

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Everyone talks so they are well aware how to piss me off I guess Ill bing home some Ear plugs

Managing yourself is certainly can be a lot more difficult than playing, some times.

I get it.

Just stuff for you to watch out for, going forward. You'll be better for it, down the road. You can always "remember the time that the idiot played a song 4 times in a row" and use that to settle down a little.

Ear plugs may very well be appropriate. I almost went that route a couple years ago, but didn't end up having to.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do remember playing a match with a city team that would blast rap when you were there so when they played us at home we played the oldest twangy country we could find lol drove them crazy and we drilled them lol. Home field advantage !

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds you are an APA 2...too good to play. League pool is ridiculous.

WHat does this mean? I gotta know I never claimed to be too good to play at anything ive been doing it snce 03 so please explain what you mean by this. Im not on here claiming to run 4 packs or have 100+ ball runs. when in truth is I am back down to a 6 from a 7

I struggle as a 7 for several reasons some of which are my lack of concentration or concentration to outside stuff, my eyes are starting to go. and now I have a broken bone in my grip hand so my break and my draw stroke are suffering. so no i dont claim to be too good unlike some others ive read on here.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
WHat does this mean? I gotta know I never claimed to be too good to play at anything ive been doing it snce 03 so please explain what you mean by this. Im not on here claiming to run 4 packs or have 100+ ball runs. when in truth is I am back down to a 6 from a 7

I struggle as a 7 for several reasons some of which are my lack of concentration or concentration to outside stuff, my eyes are starting to go. and now I have a broken bone in my grip hand so my break and my draw stroke are suffering. so no i dont claim to be too good unlike some others ive read on here.

Don't sweat that comment, its just another anti-league post, in a thread intended for league players.

Happens all the time.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone talks so they are well aware how to piss me off I guess Ill bing home some Ear plugs

i would like to clarify what i said in my 1st post to you. yea i think you let them shark you. i failed to mention that the way tou described the situation of the shot made you were in the right.

as to my statement its not just an apa thing let me share a few of my experiences.

my 1st apa tri cup. the juke box was so loud you had to yell at your team mates even though you were sitting beside them in order to understand what they were saying.

in a bcapl match....my opponent rattled the pocket on the 8 ball and left it hanging. i walked up to the table and pocketed my next to last ball. got down to shoot at my last ball and the 8 just falls in.

the opposing team said they won the match...my team said the ball was to be reset in its original position and i continued shooting. i just sttod there and watched while it escalated into a shouting match between the 2 captains.

i decided to go ask the lo who was sitting at the poker table . upon explaining the situation he ruled the 8 is spotted and i continue. i told the opposing captain and then he went and talked to the lo. he got into an argument with the lo. the room owner got involved and said the 8 was spotted and i continue. after about 5 minutes of them 3 arguing the room owner pulled out the bcapl rule book and it said the 8 was spotted and i continue.

as i got ready to shoot i had to listen to the opposing captain sit there *****ing with one of his team mates while i was making my run out.

napa league....playing laggers choice using 2 tables at the same time. for some reason we only had 1 race matrix sheet to share between the other captain and i. we both were walking back and forth handing the sheet to each other. as i turned around to hand him the sheet back i was in the line of site of his player on the money ball in her match. she said my movement sharked her and she rattled the pocket. her and her captain ruled she won the match do to my interference. now her captain and i were 3 feet from each other handing the sheet back and forth but it was my fault she missed her shot. never heard such a rule before but i gave her the match to avoid a long drawn out argument .

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

All of the bars we visit for league will turn the jukebox down if you ask. Also, on the new jukeboxes you can change the order the songs are played in when making your song selections. You can do this all from your smart phone too, nobody will be the wiser.:cool: Sometimes I would be happy to pay money to have the jukebox NOT play music at all, in certain cases I would pay many times the price of a song to just turn it off.

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I know you want to win, we all do, but I think if you can't find a way to put this stuff in it's proper place you could be headed for a hugh blow out, an argument that gets out of hand, or worse even a heart attack.
The music, kind of a bush move but it should really be something you shake your head and laugh about. Anyone can can access the juke box, just head over to it and play the Love Boat Theme 5 times in a row if you really feel the need to fire back. When they try to get under your skin, consider it a compliment and bear down. You can't control everyone else, so take a little of what you are saying to heart - "Play the game on the table". If you can't block out the crap learn to have fun with it. They do it because they know they can get to you. Switch things up and pretty soon the crap will stop.

Last edited:

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah ear plugs and some yoga may help calm my mood down:grin: and again I wasnt just single(ing)out the APA on this one

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
In order to fix something you have to first recognize the problem. Good luck, you will be a better player for it.

If you aren't challenging yourself, you aren't improving. Have to put yourself in situations that provide oppoetunity to grow as a player. You may just be frustrated with a sea of mediocrity you are in.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Unfortunately the APA lets each league operator "roll your own" with local bylaws,
that may not be in the rule book. It sucks. They allow people to second-guess
their own system and screw it up.

A good example would be in another thread where a guy with APA-6 skills
was started as a 3, because that's a local bylaw that differs from normal APA
rules where he'd start as 4. As a result he ran out the set which should have been longer.

Raising the butt to avoid a double hit or push, is actually recommended in the APA team manual.
Make sure to get the latest one, it spells a few things out better than last year's.
http://www.poolplaying.com/APAteamManual1213.PDF

The exact words are:
Push shots will not be called in this amateur League.
Even the professional players cannot agree about what is and isn’t a push shot.
In general, you can lessen your chances of being accused of shooting a push shot by hitting
the cue ball into the object ball at an angle, or by elevating the butt of your cue about 30 degrees.

They never say elevating higher than 30 degrees is wrong or a foul.
They do have a section on extremely elevated massé shots.
These are legal but they warn that they may not be allowed under 'house rules':

Extreme massé shots, improperly executed, can cause damage to pocket billiard equipment.
Although League rules do allow massé shots, there may be Local Bylaws or individual “House Rules”
in many locations limiting or prohibiting massé shots.

Our league has a bylaw against masse shots,
the LO says you may not raise the cue above shoulder level.
I don't think it's ever been called that I've seen.

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately the APA lets each league operator "roll your own" with local bylaws,
that may not be in the rule book. It sucks. They allow people to second-guess
their own system and screw it up.

A good example would be in another thread where a guy with APA-6 skills
was started as a 3, because that's a local bylaw that differs from normal APA
rules where he'd start as 4. As a result he ran out the set which should have been longer.

Raising the butt to avoid a double hit or push, is actually recommended in the APA team manual.
Make sure to get the latest one, it spells a few things out better than last year's.
http://www.poolplaying.com/APAteamManual1213.PDF

The exact words are:
Push shots will not be called in this amateur League.
Even the professional players cannot agree about what is and isn’t a push shot.
In general, you can lessen your chances of being accused of shooting a push shot by hitting
the cue ball into the object ball at an angle, or by elevating the butt of your cue about 30 degrees.

They never say elevating higher than 30 degrees is wrong or a foul.
They do have a section on extremely elevated massé shots.
These are legal but they warn that they may not be allowed under 'house rules':

Extreme massé shots, improperly executed, can cause damage to pocket billiard equipment.
Although League rules do allow massé shots, there may be Local Bylaws or individual “House Rules”
in many locations limiting or prohibiting massé shots.

Our league has a bylaw against masse shots,
the LO says you may not raise the cue above shoulder level.
I don't think it's ever been called that I've seen.

Yeah I saw that thread and wondered why he started as a 3 funny thing is if he shot like that around here he d probably go up to a 4 and thats it. also the bar I was playing in allows masse shots if you know how to do them as well as proper jump shots it really is an awesome place to shoot.