Another Euro Phenom...........

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are all FargoRates created equal? If a 700 who exclusively plays on a bar box matched up against a 700 who plays exclusively on a nine foot table, would the match be equitable on a both tables sizes or would the nine foot player be a 700 on a nine footer and the bar box player play at a 650-ish level on a nine footer and vice versa?

The match would probably not be so equal on either table. One person is familiar with the equipment and the other isn't. I think there would be a gap like you suggest but my guess is closer to 25 points rather than 50. This is a familiarity issue. The two players are equally skilled, and if either played for 100 hours on the unfamiliar equipment, they'd perform at 700 speed.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched the Euro 9b today and saw a 16yr old kid, Felix Vogel from Ger., almost snap-off the event. Was beaten in the final by Pole Daniel Maciol(a ripe old 23 himself). A LOT of good young big table players in Europe. The US may never win another Mosconi based on what i'm seeing.
A big cause of this is the US kids are MOSTLY not allowed to play pool.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Gold Member
Silver Member
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. All I know is he was having difficulty finding the line. We discussed it after the match.

Yes. Diamond uses Artemis No. 66 Pool Cushions (K55 profile) on their 9' tables and their Diamond Black Cushions (K55 profile) on their 7' and 8' tables.
Then, geometrically/scientifically/systematically the angles can Not change as long as any tables are twice as long as is wide and has the same rubber.

Last edited:

DaWizard

Im from the us, but live in netherlands. Just the area is smaller but basically the regional and national events would be translate to state and county/city level tournaments in the us and us national tournaments would be comparable to euro tour. The us just doesn't have organization at any level as you pointed out, so none of that exists because it's not in the financial interest of anyone. Our leagues dues in the us go to making profit for LO and parent organizations, plus prize funds for leagues, so that its more marketable, so that more people join, so the people who own the structure make more money.

Pretty cool they use Fargo there tho, didn't know that. Will have to take a vacation at some point.
Where do you live, if I may ask? Maybe one day come shoot some pool in Ozebi, Utrecht. Beautiful place and nice vibe.

DaWizard

I would love handicapped tournaments. I was dead money, quite often. That made me less interested in tournaments, even though I loved the thrill.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is far more about attitude. In Europe the motivation seems to be pride of improvement and achievement in your sport. In the US it seems to be whether you can steal from the newbie who doesn't know you can play. Or how well you can game the league system.

There's also the matter that in some countries, the government gives significant support to the extent of having pool in schools.

This is 100% correct and it's why I don't have anything to do with organized pool anymore.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still can't figure out why USA players stink in comparison. Corey's generation was the last that we had MORE than one top guy on the world level. Its been 25 years since he became a top player.

I feel like there is more pool being played now in the USA than in the past 15 years.
97% of pool in the US is national leagues with simplistic rules played on Fisher Price tables.

Europe has a club mentality where players work to advance their abilities and maintain a environment in search of excellence.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The match would probably not be so equal on either table. One person is familiar with the equipment and the other isn't. I think there would be a gap like you suggest but my guess is closer to 25 points rather than 50. This is a familiarity issue. The two players are equally skilled, and if either played for 100 hours on the unfamiliar equipment, they'd perform at 700 speed.

how big percentage of fargorate input is from barboxes?

zetetikos

I would love handicapped tournaments. I was dead money, quite often. That made me less interested in tournaments, even though I loved the thrill.
Where do you live, if I may ask? Maybe one day come shoot some pool in Ozebi, Utrecht. Beautiful place and nice vibe.
Amsterdam and with gill, nick and Jur running around everyone here is dead money...

Will take you up on that sometime!

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Based on what I’ve seen there are several American young players who are developing fast and are able travel in tournaments and play very strong for their age, such as Sofia Mast and Savannah Easton. I predict there will be more youngsters emerging to the international scene in the following years.

Edit: Pay attention to Slovenian kid Maks Benko, he’s 13 and already a European Champion in pupils division (16 and under).

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You watch, as the money in Pool keeps going up you will see more young guys come along who play good. Filler and Gorst will have some real competition to stay on top. You can believe that! Million dollar purses make Pool much more attractive to a young kid today! We are seeing the dawn of a new era.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the Philippines you will not find a bar table. Thus everyone plays on 9' tables and the first game they learn is Rotation. It's been that way for decades! For them 9-Ball is a far simpler game than Rotation, which in reality it is. I will guarantee you there are over a hundred 700 plus fargo players if they could be rated, and that number is probably low. It could well be over 200! I see good young players everywhere I go there running racks of 9-Ball like water. The preferred money game there is Ten Ball. Why, because 9-Ball is too easy.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Philippines you will not find a bar table. Thus everyone plays on 9' tables and the first game they learn is Rotation. It's been that way for decades! For them 9-Ball is a far simpler game than Rotation, which in reality it is. I will guarantee you there are over a hundred 700 plus fargo players if they could be rated, and that number is probably low. It could well be over 200! I see good young players everywhere I go there running racks of 9-Ball like water. The preferred money game there is Ten Ball. Why, because 9-Ball is too easy.

playing action matches on tough equipment encircled by a rowdy audience seems to toughen them up right and at an early age. this new generation looks strong to say the least. regalario will be playing in the PLP event in connecticut, along with feliciano.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm.. I don't know. More than half, certainly. But I don't know how much more.
When leagues/tournaments submit their data could you add a required field: Table Size? I'd wager the figure is closer to 65% of pool (reported) in the US is played on a bar box, which might even be on the low end.

stewie

I would agree with handicaps and no nationwide organization of one system, where talent can rise. Barboxes and all these APA shenanigans are good for maintaining and growing that one specific league. But where are leagues or tournaments in the US where you can climb up the divisions? It's all individual efforts in each their own regions or cities