Another video showing Cyclop cue ball rolls off once in a while

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I first was going to add a post to a previous thread on this subject (Video evidence that Cyclop is ...) but as soon as I noticed it has been driven way off to other direction I decided to open a new topic.

Cyclop balls were used at recent Amway Cup. And though more often than not there were not any problems with the cue balls, I noticed a couple of improper behavior of the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HAliIiJiyUw#t=1605 - watch how the cue ball rolls in the end (position shot for the 7)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HAliIiJiyUw#t=4019 - and another one, that's definitely not a table surface issue. Again happens on playing shape for the 7. That last one is pretty scary (rolling first to one side, then settling to the other of the proper line).

Just another .02 in a "Cyclop cue ball issues" jar.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed the same thing, but wasn't sure if it was the cue ball or the table. One thing for sure, something was not right.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
provided Amway Cup is one of the biggest tournament in the world in terms of organisational standards, I don't think the TV table could be unlevel or to any extent not perfect. At the same time, they hardly can do anything about the cue ball. Well, replace it with Aramith! But that is against sponsorship:sorry:

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never even seen a Cyclop ball in person, so I am neutral on the subject, but in the first vid it looks like the ball takes a jog just as it passes over the area on the cloth where the break is being hit from. I would suspect the cloth on that one.

Didnt see anything unusual in the second vid.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Should i start video taping when my centenials roll a little funky? That'll prove everything.

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should i start video taping when my centenials roll a little funky? That'll prove everything.

My sentiments exactly! I have played with the Cyclops balls quite a bit and I've got to say, I absolutely love them! From the very first time a struck a Cyclops cue ball I felt like it reacted exactly as I intended. Since then, I have not seen anything more crazy with the Cyclops than any other ball. Occasionally the balls roll funny. That is part of the game. Way more often than not it is caused by the table or something on the table. By now I'm sure most all have seen the pictures of the Aramith balls which were split apart showing the chunks of balls held together by a resin on the inside. If any balls were going to roll funny I think it would be those...

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
If the table is played on it is not perfect.

Meaning there could be anything on the surface of the cloth, causing that small roll.

Do you see the cueball behave like this on every other shot?

Nope!.

provided Amway Cup is one of the biggest tournament in the world in terms of organisational standards, I don't think the TV table could be unlevel or to any extent not perfect. At the same time, they hardly can do anything about the cue ball. Well, replace it with Aramith! But that is against sponsorship:sorry:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first was going to add a post to a previous thread on this subject (Video evidence that Cyclop is ...) but as soon as I noticed it has been driven way off to other direction I decided to open a new topic.

Cyclop balls were used at recent Amway Cup. And though more often than not there were not any problems with the cue balls, I noticed a couple of improper behavior of the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HAliIiJiyUw#t=1605 - watch how the cue ball rolls in the end (position shot for the 7)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HAliIiJiyUw#t=4019 - and another one, that's definitely not a table surface issue. Again happens on playing shape for the 7. That last one is pretty scary (rolling first to one side, then settling to the other of the proper line).

Just another .02 in a "Cyclop cue ball issues" jar.

The 1st looks like the CB hits something on the cloth.

2nd one, who knows. Could easily be the table and not the ball.

Just a brief comment on the issue, on a broader note. I was talking to PS of Diamond a few weeks ago about something else and I brought up the subject of the Cyclop balls. And he mentioned the the CB rolling off in the video in the other thread (you know, the one in which KS whispers about "the problem").

It so happens that the head of Cyclop was in attendance at that event and Paul said that he and the Cyclop guy took a few CBs into a private room to experiment and sure enough, there was a problem. In Paul's words, the Cyclop guy was "mortified" and immediately picked up the phone and had a box of CBs overnighted from the factory and they replaced all the offending CBs the next day.

The explanation is complex, involving how the balls are made, percentage of phenolic, and the grinding process, but bottomline was that the Cyclop guy figured that as they expanded production, the grinding process (in between layers) had gotten out of spec. So he ordered that it be recalibrated to even higher tolerances than before.

All that is just my recollection of our conversation and if I got anything wrong that's on me, not Paul. Personally I feel that between what happened at the 8ball tournament and MG's recent offer to replace balls, I don't think anyone can question their commitment to providing us a quality product.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about you but I've owned 1/2 dozen sets of Centennial pool ball sets.....I've never had any object ball issues where a pool ball rolled oddly.
The cue ball roll....sure....but it was always due to the table if I wasn't playing at home or something on the cloth or cue ball, typically chalk flakes or residue.

Folks that have dealt with me as a customer, like cue & cue case makers......know I am a perfectionist when it comes to my billiard equipment.......all my cues
are kept in pristine condition, as are my Centennial sets......I think I would have noticed something by now if there was any irregularities.

I think pointing out that Aramith's pool balls, like the Centennial series, can also be imperfect is absolutely true. However, there's more than just a subtle difference
between imperfections and flaws. I do not recall reading any threads anywhere about the Centennial series of pool balls, or Aramith's Pro & Tournament Series,
being criticized nor complained about by any Azer.......there's just no history of problems about the quality, finish or performance.....and that's just a fact....Jack!

You just don't locate any threads or posts about how the Centennial set played oddly or the cue ball rolled funny......I can't even recall anyone ever commenting that
there's ever been a finish issue or that a Centennial set had any flaws. All in all, it looks like there aren't issues with these sets, especially the Centennial series. Yet,
there's been lots of bad press about the quality of the Cyclop line which has "never" happened with the Centennial series or any of Aramith's other series of pool balls.

So where there's smoke there's bound to be fire and the Cyclop brand has issues, or so it appears, and the line has been around long enough that it should have been
remedied by now. Play with whatever you like but for consistency and sheer beauty, I've selected the Brunswick Centennial series since it also has the best design....IMO.

Matt B.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about you but I've owned 1/2 dozen sets of Centennial pool ball sets.....I've never had any object ball issues where a pool ball rolled oddly.
The cue ball roll....sure....but it was always due to the table if I wasn't playing at home or something on the cloth or cue ball, typically chalk flakes or residue.

Folks that have dealt with me as a customer, like cue & cue case makers......know I am a perfectionist when it comes to my billiard equipment.......all my cues
are kept in pristine condition, as are my Centennial sets......I think I would have noticed something by now if there was any irregularities.

I think pointing out that Aramith's pool balls, like the Centennial series, can also be imperfect is absolutely true. However, there's more than just a subtle difference
between imperfections and flaws. I do not recall reading any threads anywhere about the Centennial series of pool balls, or Aramith's Pro & Tournament Series,
being criticized nor complained about by any Azer.......there's just no history of problems about the quality, finish or performance.....and that's just a fact....Jack!

You just don't locate any threads or posts about how the Centennial set played oddly or the cue ball rolled funny......I can't even recall anyone ever commenting that
there's ever been a finish issue or that a Centennial set had any flaws. All in all, it looks like there aren't issues with these sets, especially the Centennial series. Yet,
there's been lots of bad press about the quality of the Cyclop line which has "never" happened with the Centennial series or any of Aramith's other series of pool balls.

So where there's smoke there's bound to be fire and the Cyclop brand has issues, or so it appears, and the line has been around long enough that it should have been
remedied by now. Play with whatever you like but for consistency and sheer beauty, I've selected the Brunswick Centennial series since it also has the best design....IMO.

Matt B.

There has not been a lot of bad press. There have been a few complaints and some questionable video put up. And in today's internet environment it echoes. Cyclop is a new product that lots of people love, me included, and I've owned Centennials and various sets of Aramiths. In my mind there is no contest -- the Cyclop balls play better.

Had the internet and forums and YouTube been around when the Centennials and Aramiths first came out it... probably would have been the same thing.

Lou Figueroa

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cyclops suck.......end of story....why are we even still discussing this.....

Yeah yeah....all you hyper sensitives....I am in fact just kidding.

I still don't like Cyclops.

Have played with them and they are sooooo not there compared to Aramith.....

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just got a set of skittles. The cue does take a slight wiggle before stopping. I don't like the cue ball regardless. It's a strange shade of white. Almost looks fluorescent. I use the measle ball.

Last edited:

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Played Scotch Doubles, Singles and Team last month in Vegas BCA....Watched all my friends play also...Never saw cue ball roll off and none of my friends complained either..
Last year there was a problem with cue ball and other balls rolling off...Diamond said because the Rio just installed new carpet and they set up tables right after...Carpet settled and caused some roll offs...But this year I saw no problem...

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I just ordered a set of skittle Cyclops balls. I will know myself if there is anything odd about the way they roll or play after a couple weeks. I also have Centennials and Aramith Tournament sets to compare them to, none of which are more than 3 years old. I have the QBs that came with all the sets in addition I also have Red Circle QBs and a measel ball.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Matt B.

Bava- spot on...

Cyclops?... played a 9 ball set on them... I'm thinking WTF is going on?... weird rolls,
CB fast on one roll, short on another...

Back home.... my Centennials, Red Circle cue ball... ah, now that's how proper pool
balls should roll. If it ain't broke...

Last edited: