Any LO,players or room owners give some info on NAPA

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Hey everyone, I am looking for any players, room owners or league operators that are involved in the new NAPA league. I have been looking for a good league to bring to my area and this one has caught my attention. Can anyone give any feedback on NAPA please?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone, I am looking for any players, room owners or league operators that are involved in the new NAPA league. I have been looking for a good league to bring to my area and this one has caught my attention. Can anyone give any feedback on NAPA please?

curious about that league myself. heard they were going to start up a league in my city this june. i am playing in apa and also the memphis pool league " money league" currently. i may try that league also if the rumors are true.

Gazelli

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with them about starting a league in my area. They contacted another LO in the area giving him first right of refusal, which he turned down. They also gave him my contact information without my permission, which I think is a bit of a privacy issue. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard from them. Either they aren't interested in expanding here or they just have poor follow through.

I'm not sure what I'd do if they contacted me now. Their fees do seem reasonable, from what the other LO told me when he called to tell me that they had contacted him about my interest in starting a league here. So maybe I'd still go through with it. But the ball is in their court for now.

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
I spoke with them about starting a league in my area. They contacted another LO in the area giving him first right of refusal, which he turned down. They also gave him my contact information without my permission, which I think is a bit of a privacy issue. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard from them. Either they aren't interested in expanding here or they just have poor follow through.

I'm not sure what I'd do if they contacted me now. Their fees do seem reasonable, from what the other LO told me when he called to tell me that they had contacted him about my interest in starting a league here. So maybe I'd still go through with it. But the ball is in their court for now.

Thanks for the response. I spoke with them on the phone about a year ago and I think at the time they only had 8 ball. Now I see they have expanded the formats and it is starting to look interesting. They were good on contacting me and setting up a call at the time. APA has a strangle hold on the area I am in at the time. There is no other leagues around here. The LO and his staff are really good people but I would like to try and get a piece of the pie, just trying to find the right one to go with. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BigDon...If they are "good people" then they don't have a 'stranglehold' on league play. It's just that other leagues have either not tried to compete, or people are happy with just the APA. Good APA L.O.'s never try to fight competition. There's plenty of room for everyone. Good luck with your efforts.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

APA has a strangle hold on the area I am in at the time. There is no other leagues around here. The LO and his staff are really good people but I would like to try and get a piece of the pie, just trying to find the right one to go with. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
BigDon...If they are "good people" then they don't have a 'stranglehold' on league play. It's just that other leagues have either not tried to compete, or people are happy with just the APA. Good APA L.O.'s never try to fight competition. There's plenty of room for everyone. Good luck with your efforts.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Hey Scott... Thanks for your thoughts of the situation around my area. Sounds if you know more then I do. I said the LO and his staff are great people and that the "APA" has a strangle hold on this area. As you know, the APA has you almost roped in. They are very smart people in a way and I have to give them that much. If your team qualifies for city tournament, you have to be registered to play another session before you go to cities. If you qualify for Vegas in the first part of the year you have to stay active the rest of the year until you go to Vegas. Keep in mind while you have to stay active, it wont get you anywhere since that same team can not qualify for Vegas twice in the same year. You would have to keep playing the same night you qualified from and pick up another night to try again. They have so many options to qualify for Vegas (Scoth Doubles, Singles, Open and so on), that it keeps a lot of people having to stay active so they can go. Some people live to go play in Vegas. I have been there and done it! We finished 3rd in the team 9 ball last year. I am not trying to bash the APA here, just trying to explain what I meant by them having a strangle hold.

shootergirl32

I drink & I know things
Big Don,
I am a LO for NAPA. I will just say that in the many yrs I have been playing pool and leagues I have never found a league more focused on its players. We just finished our first national tournament and are very pleased with the outcome. I won't say it was easy or that there weren't bumps but overall everyone seemed pleased and anxious to see what happens next year. I will be happy to give you any info I can and see if this league is a good fit for you.

Amy Jones
amy@midtnnapa.com

rlw

Silver Member
Hey Scott... Thanks for your thoughts of the situation around my area. Sounds if you know more then I do. I said the LO and his staff are great people and that the "APA" has a strangle hold on this area. As you know, the APA has you almost roped in. They are very smart people in a way and I have to give them that much. If your team qualifies for city tournament, you have to be registered to play another session before you go to cities. If you qualify for Vegas in the first part of the year you have to stay active the rest of the year until you go to Vegas. Keep in mind while you have to stay active, it wont get you anywhere since that same team can not qualify for Vegas twice in the same year. You would have to keep playing the same night you qualified from and pick up another night to try again. They have so many options to qualify for Vegas (Scoth Doubles, Singles, Open and so on), that it keeps a lot of people having to stay active so they can go. Some people live to go play in Vegas. I have been there and done it! We finished 3rd in the team 9 ball last year. I am not trying to bash the APA here, just trying to explain what I meant by them having a strangle hold.

our cities for 8 ball got done today, and the team I play on which lost in the semi's, is not registered for another session!!!

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Who are you trying to kid yourself or all the APA suckers you have enrolled in your classes. I am not getting into a pissing contest but it is quite laughable how fast you jump in these APA threads. Smooch smooch. :rolleyes:

Spantiznik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here is the site for them if you don't already have it. Quick read through and pretty much sounds like some of the others.

http://www.napaleagues.com

Good luck.

Goldy

Beating The Internet
Silver Member
I'm the LO for Columbus, Ohio for NAPA.

Central Ohio NAPA Pool League is growing here with 4 divisions anticipated this fall, from 2 last spring.

NAPA paid over $40,000 back to the players this past Memorial Day at the 2011 NAPA Nationals in Hot Springs, AR.

We took 7 of the 20 that qualified from Central Ohio. We left with $1500 of the prize money. We had a Class D player Jorge Reyes who won his bracket worth $1100.

NAPA League has been coined "The League of the Future". It's based on key principals that simply other governed bodies can't maneuver. NAPA has the new technology. Others are simply too old and too big to counter the downfall of our economy. The question is not "if" it is "when" NAPA will emerge the example others will follow. The pool shooting community deserves it.

Check out http://www.napaleagues.com to find a league in your area. If there isn't one, start one.

Zach Goldsmith
LO, North American Poolshooters Association
Columbus, Ohio
614-750-POOL

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I'm the LO for Columbus, Ohio for NAPA.

Central Ohio NAPA Pool League is growing here with 4 divisions anticipated this fall, from 2 last spring.

NAPA paid over $40,000 back to the players this past Memorial Day at the 2011 NAPA Nationals in Hot Springs, AR.

We took 7 of the 20 that qualified from Central Ohio. We left with $1500 of the prize money. We had a Class D player Jorge Reyes who won his bracket worth $1100.

NAPA League has been coined "The League of the Future". It's based on key principals that simply other governed bodies can't maneuver. NAPA has the new technology. Others are simply too old and too big to counter the downfall of our economy. The question is not "if" it is "when" NAPA will emerge the example others will follow. The pool shooting community deserves it.

Check out http://www.napaleagues.com to find a league in your area. If there isn't one, start one.

Zach Goldsmith
LO, North American Poolshooters Association
Columbus, Ohio
614-750-POOL

This is a a good marketing statement. Does NAPA have a mission statement also? What does NAPA offer league players that is not offered by the other national pool league offerings (BCAPL, APA, TAP etc.)?

Thanks for your reply.

bigwillo

POOL300
Silver Member
Pool300

If you are looking for an exciting new league to bring to your area, check out www.pool300. We have been playing it in the Dallas area for 2 years now (5th season just started) and we love it. Great Handicap system gives lower skill players an even playing filed and challenges the better skilled players.

Goldy

Beating The Internet
Silver Member
This is a a good marketing statement. Does NAPA have a mission statement also? What does NAPA offer league players that is not offered by the other national pool league offerings (BCAPL, APA, TAP etc.)?

Thanks for your reply.

Your welcome.

The offerings are ingenious.

The NAPA core of entrepreneurs came to the realization after years of listening to the broken records of whining shooters. Of course the 80s and 90s proved well for APA & VNEA at a height in the billiard industry. Then came along the copy cats BCAPL & TAP to gobble up the scraps of disgruntled and bored shooters who had left, only to find out it was the same old dismal concoction.

I think the key to NAPA's future success is the creativity utilizing today's technologies. With a streamlined and simplistic scoring algorithm, they eased the stresses of score keeping. Yeah, 10 years of scoring APA 9-Ball to scoring NAPA 9-ball will definitely put this into prospective. NAPA found a way to substantiate a shooters abilities from a limited set of factors without innings or ball counting. No one really will ever know how this works, but in my opinion it reminds me how chess and backgammon skill levels are calculated. Hmmm?

The flip side to the success and rapid growth of NAPA in the last 12 months (quadrupled in size), is the back end. As a league operator, I essentially do nothing of the sorts that a traditional LO has to do in the other leagues. NAPA essentially does everything for you. They key emphasis to a successful network of NAPA operators is to give more freedom to us. We recruit the players and sign them up, NAPA does the rest.

I'm sure AZ will have many future posts about NAPA and its' successes. Stay Tuned.

Zach

Last edited: