Any other cue builders besides Frank Paradise use pins on the joint??

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello,
Got a 50 cent question to throw out there today. Were there any other cue builders besides Frank Paradise that used pins through the brass joint to secure the pin and joint collar??? Trying to figure out who made this cue.

Attachments

• Titleist joint with pin2a_resize.jpg
    Titleist joint with pin2a_resize.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 198
  • titlist joint with pin_resize.jpg
    titlist joint with pin_resize.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 199

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Hello,
Got a 50 cent question to throw out there today. Were there any other cue builders besides Frank Paradise that used pins through the brass joint to secure the pin and joint collar??? Trying to figure out who made this cue.
Lots of DIY pool hall repair guys. I've seen pins on ferrules and joints. Paradise definitely didn't do that, it's not nearly clean enough work

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lots of DIY pool hall repair guys. I've seen pins on ferrules and joints. Paradise definitely didn't do that, it's not nearly clean enough work
I own 3 Paradise cues and all 3 of them have pinned brass joint collars and pins! Certainly Paradise pinned his early cues!

Look closely and you can see the pin at about 10 o'clock.
1629252532838.png

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....some idiot pinned the example you showed....

Might still be a Paradise, though?
Someone knocked out the original pin for whatever reason/repair/replace pin?
Then didn't know you could get bronze rod cheap at the welding store (or didn't care) so he knocked a steel nail through & ground it off?

:)

Wonder why a new hole was drilled, though.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Might still be a Paradise, though?
Someone knocked out the original pin for whatever reason/repair/replace pin?
Then didn't know you could get bronze rod cheap at the welding store (or didn't care) so he knocked a steel nail through & ground it off?

:)

Wonder why a new hole was drilled, though.
It might also be a Balabushka or Searing, too

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Pretty crazy, but I guess if it's still usable they saved some money. Pretty ingenious even if it looks odd. Might be a good way to get some fish on the line too.
It's pretty terrible, I plan to chop it all off and restore the shaft

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is on a Brunswick 360
Hard to believe what some people will do to their cues. I wish someone would actually answer my question, were there any other cue builders who pinned their joints besides Frank Paradise??? If not, then I'm wondering who did this cue.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Hard to believe what some people will do to their cues. I wish someone would actually answer my question, were there any other cue builders who pinned their joints besides Frank Paradise??? If not, then I'm wondering who did this cue.
I gave you an answer. Lots of "cue builders" operated out of regional Brunswick stores and we're authorized to perform repairs.

This was not Paradise, but someone with a DIY mindset. Unless you have a signed receipt with it, this was a special request by a player somewhere performed by someone.

Is this a Titlist house cue that was converted or a Hoppe Professional two-piece that was repaired?

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I gave you an answer. Lots of "cue builders" operated out of regional Brunswick stores and we're authorized to perform repairs.

This was not Paradise, but someone with a DIY mindset. Unless you have a signed receipt with it, this was a special request by a player somewhere performed by someone.

Is this a Titlist house cue that was converted or a Hoppe Professional two-piece that was repaired?
Thank you!!! I'm not saying it's a Paradise by any means, just was curious who else did the pinning of the joint and pin area. It doesn't say Personal on it, but it is a Titleist Willie Hoppe 2 piece and no ivory ring either. It's very original and the leather wrap is well done from the factory, so I suppose someone special ordered it with the pinning, or had it done shortly after buying it. The letters DT are stamped into the butt sleeve, but not very deeply stamped. The original shaft has a well fitting black collar and also has the black ferrule which may help me date it more accurately. Overall it's a pretty clean Titleist. The butt sleeve has a nice 3-D look to it when you rock it back and forth, but the points don't have the same 3-D shimmer look even though they're the same wood. Nice bright veneers too!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Thank you!!! I'm not saying it's a Paradise by any means, just was curious who else did the pinning of the joint and pin area. It doesn't say Personal on it, but it is a Titleist Willie Hoppe 2 piece and no ivory ring either. It's very original and the leather wrap is well done from the factory, so I suppose someone special ordered it with the pinning, or had it done shortly after buying it. The letters DT are stamped into the butt sleeve, but not very deeply stamped. The original shaft has a well fitting black collar and also has the black ferrule which may help me date it more accurately. Overall it's a pretty clean Titleist. The butt sleeve has a nice 3-D look to it when you rock it back and forth, but the points don't have the same 3-D shimmer look even though they're the same wood. Nice bright veneers too!
It could have been broken and repaired at some point. I have seen 1000 different nonsense repairs. Someone could have pulled the joint. I'd love to see the entire cue to know what's going on.

Could have been pinned at the factory if someone goofed up the tenon or something

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ideologist, here ya go more pics of the points and whole cue. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Buttsleeve1a.jpg
    Buttsleeve1a.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 85
  • whole cue 1b.jpg
    whole cue 1b.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 96
  • points1b.jpg
    points1b.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 89
  • points2b.jpg
    points2b.jpg