Any pool halls to recommend in Manhatten?

crater59

Registered
I have lived in Brooklyn for 23 yrs. I would go to Amsterdam before I went to Bay Ridge simply because of the travel time. By the way, New Yorkers don't measure distance in the city by "miles", we measure it by
stops, blocks or avenues. Sure, you may be physically 6 miles away from your destination but on the train (or "tube" as you call it), that is 120 blocks meaning 12 stops. Not counting station delays you could be spending 40 minutes underground. You should'nt get smart alecky with Jude about getting around the city and you should'nt give a visitor travelling tips in a city you're not that familiar with. You made it to Bay Ridge in good time on an easy day. Try it during the middle of the week, from Central Park West, in the middle of Holiday shopping season, and when you get there 2-1/2 hrs. later you can get on line for another hour waiting for a table.

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
OK, so start from your apartment...walk to your parking garage...wait for the elevator...exit the elevator and walk to your car....allow a few minutes to find it if you were drunk the night before...etc. (-:

I DIDN'T TELL HIM TO TAKE A CAB!!!!!!!! I TOLD HIM I TOOK A CAB!!
SHEEEESH!

And , Hall of Fame is in BROOKLYN NOT QUEENS...unless they merged recently to create the massive borough of Queenbrook! (-:

Finally, SO WHAT if it takes an hour to visit a pool hall owned and frequented by one of the greatest players of all time?????

oops sorry - typo I knew it was in brooklyn - had to look up the address to get the directions obviously:)

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
OK, so start from your apartment...walk to your parking garage...wait for the elevator...exit the elevator and walk to your car....allow a few minutes to find it if you were drunk the night before...etc. (-:

I DIDN'T TELL HIM TO TAKE A CAB!!!!!!!! I TOLD HIM I TOOK A CAB!!
SHEEEESH!

And , Hall of Fame is in BROOKLYN NOT QUEENS...unless they merged recently to create the massive borough of Queenbrook! (-:

Finally, SO WHAT if it takes an hour to visit a pool hall owned and frequented by one of the greatest players of all time?????

I so wish i had an elevator...5 floor walk up! On the plus side my heart is probably in slightly better than average shape for it...

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
juggler314 said:
You *can* get around quickly in manhattan if you are lucky, but you can't predict traffic at rush hour. Two days ago I managed to drive from 38th street and 6th avenue to my garage near west 4th and 6th in only 6 minutes without hitting a single red light. Now would i tell people it only takes 6 minutes, by car, at 5:30pm to make that trip, not likely. I would tell people to budget *at least* 20 minutes for it. (note I also drive like a madman...so I definitely don't give out *my* drive times as suggested drive times)

The subways move well over 12mph between stations. But when you add in a full minute at every station to stop, especially on a local, the average speed is probably under 12mph...consider it takes me about 10 minutes to get to work on the subway if i catch the F or V (local) from 4th street to 42nd street - that's only 4 stops and less than 2 miles that makes for an average speed of about 12mph!

A great subway travel reference is HopStop. HopStop says that from Times Square to Hall of Fame billiards would be about 47 minutes - that assumes you are already at the subway station and don't have to walk to the starting subway stop. The time could be longer or shorter depending on where you start in manhattan, if you start somewhere very unfavorable for getting to queens it could be much longer. If you start right on the edge of manhattan it could be shorter...

Also telling someone who you don't know to take a cab from Manhattan to far away queens is not very nice, that could be a $30 cab ride!

Wow, I just typed my commute into hopstop. I average about 45 minutes door to door. Its estimate was 44 minutes. Total travel is 4.86 miles which means I'm traveling about 6 miles/hour.

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Wow, I just typed my commute into hopstop. I average about 45 minutes door to door. Its estimate was 44 minutes. Total travel is 4.86 miles which means I'm traveling about 6 miles/hour.

Yeah it's pretty damn spot on, of course being a native NYer I had never heard of it and had to get it passed on to me by my upstate born girlfriend.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ineedaspot said:
Related question: are there any weekly 9-ball tournaments you would recommend?

Wow, with all the silly-talk, I completely ignored this question! There are a few weekly tournaments at Masters in Long Island City, Queens. It's very easy to get to, only a block from the 7-train.

I am certain of a Wednesday night weekly (I believe 8pm, though you should call to check) and a Sunday weekly (I believe noon, 10-ball). Both are scratch tournaments (no handicap). Skyline has a Tuesday tournament, handicapped. HOF used to have a Thursday tournament though that was years ago.

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Wow, with all the silly-talk, I completely ignored this question! There are a few weekly tournaments ...

Thanks very much for the tourney info.

The silly-talk was pretty entertaining too...

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roppongi said:
Hey guys,

I would be in Manhatten for the next 2 months or so for a business trip. Currently residing near the Time Warner Center next to Central Park.

Just wondering if there are any nice pool halls nearby that you guys would recommend me to visit?

Thanks!

Benny

Hey Benny,

The couple of times I've been in Manhattan I've not been disappointed with Amsterdam Billiards. The place is just gorgeous and there is a ton of talent there. Watch out for the players in the velvet ropes, you might see a familiar face or two. If you ever head out west to Chicago, let me know. 2 months --- sounds like you're in NY for training?

Roppongi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
raemondo said:
Hey Benny,

The couple of times I've been in Manhattan I've not been disappointed with Amsterdam Billiards. The place is just gorgeous and there is a ton of talent there. Watch out for the players in the velvet ropes, you might see a familiar face or two. If you ever head out west to Chicago, let me know. 2 months --- sounds like you're in NY for training?

Hey Rae,

Yup, I'm here for business training. Kinda regretted not bringing my cues along.

Sure thing man, I would love to travel to Chicago if I had the time. :D

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roppongi said:
Hey Rae,

Yup, I'm here for business training. Kinda regretted not bringing my cues along.

Sure thing man, I would love to travel to Chicago if I had the time. :D

There is actually a hotel right around you called The Hudson Hotel. It's on 58th Street between 8th and 9th avenues (right across from Time Warner Building). The entrance is a little inconspicuous (just a glass door immediately followed by an escalator) but it's very very nice. Anyway, there is a bar there called The Library (http://www.hudsonhotel.com/hudson_hotel_library.asp). They have a 9 foot table you can play on for free so long as you're drinking. It's not a poolroom by any stretch but it sure is a nice way to get a quick game in and have a drink.

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
av84fun said:
HUH??? Maybe during rush hour and a taxi strike. It's about exactly 12 miles and the last time I went to visit Jean, it took MAYBE 30 minutes in a cab (not rush hour) so I would assume it would have to be that time or less on the subway...although I don't ride the subway so I can't testify from personal experience.

But the tube HAS to average a LOT more that 12 mph, right?

And "anywhere in Manhattan?" From downtown you jump on the WSH, take the Battery Tunnel and you're practically there. 5-6 miles TOPS. 15 minutes in the subway.

But aside from travel time issues, Amsterdam is a SUPER place. Thorsten, Tony Robles and a bunch more top players hang there. An upscale classic.

Hall of Fame is and old fashioned, neighborhood pool hall. Clean and friendly but there is no brass or mahogany in the joint! (-:

Regards,
Jim

I live around the corner from HOFB.

i work in downtown manhattan. iver worked in midtown manhattan. ive worked in jersey city. i cut my hair from astor place for years which is around the corner from amsterdam.

to take the train from jersey city it will take an hour door to door .. the first stop on the path.
to take the train from midtown i catch the express trains. it takes an hour door to door.
to take the train from astor place. it takes an 50 minutes on a good day door to door.
to take the train from downtown city hall it takes 50 minutes

rush or no rush hour. it doesnt matter.

rush hour more trains. none rush less trains.

some times i drive to astor place. normal traffic it will take me 30-35 minutes.
and i get thru nyc in a car much better than any cabbie could. i used to drive a truck thru the city better than a cabbie could.
with NO traffic at all i can get to astor place from my house in 10-15 minutes.

and for your info.. hofb has some horrible and old playing equipment. good spacing is the only thing. and its around the corner of my house

Last edited:

av84fun

Banned
Jude Rosenstock said:
I'm not here to argue. I'm just saying you're telling someone who does the Manhattan/Brooklyn commute everyday how long it takes. I mean, I know the times because I do it twice a day. Have a nice day, sir.

I don't want to argue either. Just trying to provide what I thougt was a good suggestion.

But the issues is how long it would take the poster to get to the two places...FROM WHERE EVER HE WOULD BE STARTING FROM.

So, the question turns on the DIFFERENCE in travel time from the starting point.

Unless he will be staying within walking distance of Amsterdam, he will have to take public transportation and therefore face the exact same transportation issues getting to either location wouldn't you agree?

And besides, Jude, Union Sq. is WAY downtown so if he would be traveling from mid or uptown he has a "trek" anyway based on the exact same travel issues you point out.

So, with all due respect, it is NO BIG DEAL to get from Union Square to Hall of Fame sir. One does not have to live in New York to FULLY understand travel issues in N.Y. after having DONE SO for oh...about 40 years. BUT, I DO live west of the Hudson and most New Yorkers think such people can't find their way to their own bathrooms...

But even us folks...if we travel from A to B a few hundred times eventually acquire just about the same knowledge about travel times as those who live locally. It's HARD...but WE CAN DO IT!!!!

(-:

Mostly kidding around.

Regards,
Jim

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could someone post some pics of the inside of amsterdam billiards as the website dosen't seem to have a lot.

Any help is appreciated.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball said:
Could someone post some pics of the inside of amsterdam billiards as the website dosen't seem to have a lot.

Any help is appreciated.

A GREAT site to go to would be www.williamfuentes.com

Just click on any of the months in the upper left corner.

Although many of the pics you see there are mixed in with Broadway Billiards and many APA bars.

GG11

Kill the Bunny
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Unless he will be staying within walking distance of Amsterdam, he will have to take public transportation and therefore face the exact same transportation issues getting to either location wouldn't you agree?

And besides, Jude, Union Sq. is WAY downtown so if he would be traveling from mid or uptown he has a "trek" anyway based on the exact same travel issues you point out.

Um, actually, no he wouldn't face the same issues, as ABC is MUCH MUCH easier to get to. It's VERY easy to commute to Union Square using public transportation as it has MANY of the subway stops in it's general vicinity. And a taxi ride to ABC is MUCH cheaper than to anywhere in Brooklyn!

HOFB would be a MUCH MUCH different scenario as it's much more out of the way from the Time Warner building. Miles are something a New Yorker doesn't consider. It's subway stops and Express train options!!! :D

From your location, taking the 1-9 downtown to 42nd then transferring to the NRW is probably the quickest way down there and shouldn't take you longer than 30 mins.

In a nutshell, if you're staying in Manhattan, there's no easier place to get to than ABC. If you want to venture out, plan some time for traveling.

crater59

Registered

Anyone who thinks Union Sq. is "way downtown" should not be telling visitors how to get around.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crater59 said:
Anyone who thinks Union Sq. is "way downtown" should not be telling visitors how to get around.

Hey guys,

It's not worth jumping on av84fun. He's only trying to be helpful. In fact, as New Yorkers, we should be flattered that he takes great pride in his knowledge of our city.

av84fun

Banned
cheemagun said:
I live around the corner from HOFB.

i work in downtown manhattan. iver worked in midtown manhattan. ive worked in jersey city. i cut my hair from astor place for years which is around the corner from amsterdam.

some times i drive to astor place. normal traffic it will take me 30-35 minutes. with NO traffic at all i can get to astor place from my house in 10-15 minutes.

THAT'S BASICALLY WHAT I SAID. I've only been there by cab.

and for your info.. hofb has some horrible and old playing equipment. good spacing is the only thing. and its around the corner of my house

Wow, I'm sad to hear that they got rid of the 20+ 15 year old Gold Crown IIs that I played on a few months ago. The other IIs are around 40 years old but I wasn't aware that Brunswick made "horrible" tables back then.

And it is a shame that one of the great pool players of all time would have horrible tables in her place. But I didn't hear any complaints from Allison Fisher, Gerda Hofstatter or Tony Robles about the tables that day.

But hey, to each his own.
(-:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
From my office, I used to take the 101 (or maybe it was the 102) right to the corner of 11th and 3rd. It's 30 seconds from there. And it's not many stops from mid-town, you just have to be on Lex.

Oh, and the bus crowd is *different* from the subway crowd, doh!

-td

Last edited:

av84fun

Banned
crater59 said:

OMG!!!

Another poster used the Time Warner Bldg as a mid-town reference so lets go with that.

Unless they moved it, it is around Columbus Circle.

Unless they moved Columbus Circle, it is right around 59th St.

Unless they moved Union Sq. it is right around 14th St.

Unless base 10 math has changed, if you subtract 15 from 59 you get 45.

So partner, you walk or pay a cabbie to drive you forty five blocks from Columbus Circle to Union Sq. and report back whether you think it is way downtown.

ROFLMAO
(-: