Any pro player had to finish with broken cue?

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if it's ever happened that, somehow, a pro player broke a tip and also on the backup cue and had to finish the match with no tip. Or maybe both cues broke somehow. Stuff like that has happened in golf. I've seen amateurs break their putters (on purpose) and have to finish with a wedge, lol.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year at the MC I saw Earl wank the bejesus out of his shaft after missing a shot and then try and bend it back into to shape before the clock expired.

Pretty funny stuff.

Lou Figueroa

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
One year at the MC I saw Earl wank the bejesus out of his shaft after missing a shot and then try and bend it back into to shape before the clock expired.

Pretty funny stuff.

Lou Figueroa
I remember that! I think it was 2013. I was sitting a little ways from the incident but you were rather close. I still have the pics on my phone of Earl sighting down the cue:LOL:

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened, did he get it fixed? Did he not have a spare cue? I assume you can have a spare?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
What happened, did he get it fixed? Did he not have a spare cue? I assume you can have a spare?
Earl pushed and prodded, then sighted it a few times. Then he spoke to the crowd and to Ms Tabb and shot his ball. IIRC.

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if it's ever happened that, somehow, a pro player broke a tip and also on the backup cue and had to finish the match with no tip. Or maybe both cues broke somehow. Stuff like that has happened in golf. I've seen amateurs break their putters (on purpose) and have to finish with a wedge, lol.
I remember a few years back at the derby, a well known player wacked his stick on the table after a mistake and broke it. He just calmly walked out to the vendor area and returned in a minute or two with another cue and continued his match. That is putting your one break per match to good use! I am reluctant to mention the player because the act of rage was out of character for him.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I remember a few years back at the derby, a well known player wacked his stick on the table after a mistake and broke it. He just calmly walked out to the vendor area and returned in a minute or two with another cue and continued his match. That is putting your one break per match to good use! I am reluctant to mention the player because the act of rage was out of character for him.
Don't leave us hanging lol

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a tv match many years ago where Oliver Ortman's tip popped off. He just picked up the tip and super glued it back on in mere seconds. I would think a player of has caliber would have a second shaft.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I saw a tv match many years ago where Oliver Ortman's tip popped off. He just picked up the tip and super glued it back on in mere seconds. I would think a player of has caliber would have a second shaft.
He might have...but he liked the one he was using better. Was he winning at the time?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a room owner, if he whacked / shattered his stick on any part of the pool table as opposed to over his knee or on the floor, that should have resulted in an immediate disqualification!