Anyone practice much Equal Offense these days?

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
When I first heard of it 20 or so years ago I gave it a try a mere handful of times, but got miffed when I almost shot a perfect game but didn't (that one inning…). Gave it another couple of tries last year, not doing too shabbily either, but got so bored with its Coitus interruptus kind of character. The last couple of days figured I'd give it another try, but allow myself to continue shooting on until I miss, but have now figured out I'll never manage to run a minimum of 20 each inning for ten consecutive innings before dinner time (which happens to be right about when I get going and put a more serious run together…). Curious now: anyone fare better, or truly love the game for that matter?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At one time there was a US national competition sponsored by Pool & Billiard Magazine. I think it lasted for a couple of years. Also, there was the Internet Equal Offense competition which I think went on for six or seven years. That allowed teams to compete against each other in separate locations with scores reported by internet connections. I think the highest score in IEO was Don Feeney with something like 176 (out of 200 possible).
Today when I practice 14.1 I do it as I have for about 35 years -- start with one loose ball and shoot a break shot and continue until a miss.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
At one time there was a US national competition sponsored by Pool & Billiard Magazine. I think it lasted for a couple of years. Also, there was the Internet Equal Offense competition which I think went on for six or seven years. That allowed teams to compete against each other in separate locations with scores reported by internet connections. I think the highest score in IEO was Don Feeney with something like 176 (out of 200 possible).
Today when I practice 14.1 I do it as I have for about 35 years -- start with one loose ball and shoot a break shot and continue until a miss.

You just made me feel good about myself quoting those numbers (figured players who do this with regularity all shoot a perfect 200 at least once in a while - remember being rather disgusted with myself when I got close but scratched, but of course I was still young and somewhat more entitled to perfectionism back then). So basically I do as you do, it seems (start a run with a break shot). Even so, I used to like that unique kind of pressure of trying to get an exercise perfect (= did that with David Alciatore's 9-Ball and your 10-Ball rating drills last week), not sure why I get so bored with Equal Offense versus playing Straight Pool, preferably not by myself but with someone who also loves the game (= unfortunately near-impossible to find in my neck of the woods)? Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy… :embarrassed2:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play it all the time. I prefer it to 14.1 because you use the whole table. After a miss I continue until all the balls are down and I count a successful kick as a non-miss which is a way to practice kick shots.

I had a hundred twenty something last week which for me is a decent score.