Anyone used a longoni Luna Nera?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point is its just semantics. In day-to-day lingo 'graphite' and 'carbon-fiber' are often used to describe the exact same material. There are no 'graphite' tubes. Even the older, cheaper ones were are form of carbon-fiber. In Europe CF is often referred to as 'graphite'.
The guy - Mr. Longoni? did say they've been on this for decades and that the fibers are unidirectional.

deano1772

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deano,

Have you used any other carbon fiber shafts, and if so, how would you compare them to the Longoni?

Thanks,
Keith
Hi,

only used the Luna Nera but apparently it’s an issue with the 3lobite extension joint, so I’ve sent the cue back to Italy.

tomker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Googled ’what’s the difference between graphite and carbon fiber‘ it said that cf comes from graphite but is stronger.
it also gave some tech mumbo jumbo which Dr. Dave can explain but bottom line, cf is a stronger version of graphite.
Longoni‘s ‘Luna Nera’ (black moon) should clarify it’s pure graphite claim to clear up some confusion.
I'm not an expert but it looks like graphite is just atom-thick sheets of carbon. Each sheet has carbon atoms in a lattice structure.

Carbon fibers are filaments (fibers) made out of aligned crystals of carbon atoms. It seems like they're basically super-thin (5-10 micrometer) tubes of graphite.

For use in pool cues, both graphite and carbon fiber are baked into plastic resins. Otherwise you're shooting with pencil lead.

The difference seems to be that graphite is just kinda carbon goop, whereas carbon fiber can be much stiffer and stronger by way of its structure of tubes/filaments/fibers.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Longoni is probably one of- if not the foremost expert on exotic and unusual shaft materials. They've had carom shafts in every conceivable material for decades now. They've had shafts made of kevlar, carbon fibre and every possible type of fiberglass etc. I'm sure the shaft is decent, based on this alone. Haven't gotten a chance to try it.