APA to increase skill levels

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
APA regional this weekend in Charleston, announced it was coming.

The APA president, Renee, was here in Athens, GA .... I asked her about this in person. She said that it has not been discussed or tested anywhere........

Never happened.

Kim

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All that is good. Now we just need to talk Terry Bell into sponsoring a pro event during the Nationals in Vegas. Lots of luck with that......

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....had to eventually get a ref to put you on the clock because yiu were averaging over a minute for simple shots and around 2.5 minuters per complicated shots.

Well that explains a lot. I honestly do not understand players like that. Why in the world do you need to examine the table for that long on every shot? I know I have a different mindset and can analyze and adjust quickly, but you should already have a pretty good plan before your opponent even misses unless he mucks up your table on his last shot. Even then after looking it over once as you reach the table, you should have a pretty good plan as you take your first ball and then make minor adjustments as needed for missed leaves and such. Many of those adjustments aren't complete pattern changes, just maybe a slightly different way to get to the next ball. 1 minute per shot is unacceptable at every level of play.

I am a very patient person and it typically does not bother me, even though I have put 2 people on the clock, but that was for the team's benefit not for mine (APA sudden death sucks). Even shooting Thursday in a different league one of my opponent's had ball in hand with 3-4 balls left (none in trouble) and he literally looked over the table for almost 5 mins. My teammate was on me about saying something to him to speed him up after the first minute or so. I did not, however the guy did hear this exchange and after he made a ball or 2 and missed I proceeded to finish the game. He was angry to say the least. The team captain came to me (as the other captain) and expressed this and I simply said I understand, but he needs to learn to tune out the commotion around him and there simply is no reason to take that long at the table to decide a shot.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
All that is good. Now we just need to talk Terry Bell into sponsoring a pro event during the Nationals in Vegas. Lots of luck with that......

I know something like that happened at least once. I think it was back in '94 they ran the The Camel Pro Series 8 Ball event side by side with the NTC event. I think Danny Medina won it. I don't know if it ever happened before or since, but I think something like that would be great. Don't get me wrong I love gawking at Jeanette Lee in her b'lack lycra pants and high heels, I think it's a great thing, but there would be a lot more opportunity for some kind of interaction with a whole pro event instead of one hot pro with tight pants, and that's even if you can get close enough to see her. Florian Kohler, his act is fun (again if you can get close enough to see) but he draws a different type of crown than the event pros might. I don't think I've ever seen him actually do anything but trick short or "Artistic Pool", he might be an outstanding player, but I don't know