Archer-vs-Wiseman & 6 HOURS OF POOL TOMMORROW ON TV

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
Pool fans will be able to watch six consecutive hours of championship pool on Saturday afternoon as ESPN airs the semifinal and final matches of both the men?s and women?s divisions of the GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championships.

The broadcasts will begin at noon, Eastern Standard Time, with the two semifinal matches of the men?s division, followed by the final between Jeremy Jones and Ronnie Wiseman at 2 p.m. The women?s semifinals will kick off at 3 p.m., with the final between Xiaoting Pan and Ga Young Kim set for 5 p.m.

Here?s the lineup:

Noon - 1 p.m. ? Men's Semi-Final 1: Johnny Archer vs. Ronnie Wiseman
1 p.m. - 2 p.m. ? Men's Semi-Final 2: Shawn Putnam vs. Jeremy Jones
2 p.m. - 3 p.m. ? Men's Final: Ronnie Wiseman vs. Jeremy Jones
3 p.m. - 4 p.m. ? Women's Semi-Final 1: Anna Kostanian vs. Xiaoting Pan
4 p.m. - 5 p.m. ? Women's Semi-Final 2: Jasmine Ouschan vs. Ga Young Kim
5 p.m. - 6 p.m. ? Women's Final: Xiaoting Pan vs. Ga Young Kim

One match of particular interest will be the dramatic semifinal contest between Wiseman and Archer at noon. On the hill and leading, 6-4, Wiseman was about to stroke a tight shot on the 5 ball when Archer interrupted to ask the referee about the potential for fouling on the shot. Rattled by the interruption, Wiseman missed the shot, refused to accept Archer?s apologies, and later accused him of sharking. We?ll see how much of that friction is reflected in the broadcast.

Viewers also can see the first national TV appearance of Anna Kostanian, the 20-year-old phenom who is quickly staking a claim among the top American players. She makes a game effort against world-champion Pan in their 3 p.m. semifinal.

The matches were taped on June 11-12 at the Charlotte (N.C.) Convention Center.

Produced by the Billiard Congress of America, the Championships were sponsored by Olhausen Billiard Mfg. Inc., Fury Cues, Darafeev Resort Furniture, Aramith Billiard Balls, Delta-13, PoolDawg, the American Poolplayers Association, CueSight and Sterling Gaming, which arranged the pro-tournament debut of Milliken SuperPro pool cloth at the event.

Roadkill

Retired Pool Hustler
Silver Member
The King said:
One match of particular interest will be the dramatic semifinal contest between Wiseman and Archer at noon. On the hill and leading, 6-4, Wiseman was about to stroke a tight shot on the 5 ball when Archer interrupted to ask the referee about the potential for fouling on the shot. Rattled by the interruption, Wiseman missed the shot, refused to accept Archer?s apologies, and later accused him of sharking. We?ll see how much of that friction is reflected in the broadcast.

Great point. Archer actually left his chair and asked the official (Steve Tipton) for a rules clarification even though Steve was already standing over the shot to watch the hit.

Steve motioned to Archer to sit down and be quite, at which point Archer apologized. I believe that Wiseman went on to miss that shot and Archer won the game and the next rack for a two-game swing.

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
OUCH ....That should be interesting ... I know I will be watching love to watch Archer play ...

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I'm glad that you put this on AZ because I miss a lot of pool on TV. This should be good if the crowd doesn't applaud after every shot.......

James

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
SCCues said:
This should be good if the crowd doesn't applaud after every shot.......

James

:wink: :grin: :smile: :rolleyes: :smile: :) :wink:

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
A little over 2 hours to go Archer and Wiseman lead it off ... I love watching Archer break ...

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is there anyway of watching this on the computer?. Like through Sopcast or TVU player?. If so what channels?. Thanks!

poolsnark

Clique Wannabe
Silver Member
ESPN has exclusive rights, but you can probably watch it through ESPN360.com. They mirror all sorts of ESPN programming online.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roadkill said:
Great point. Archer actually left his chair and asked the official (Steve Tipton) for a rules clarification even though Steve was already standing over the shot to watch the hit.

Steve motioned to Archer to sit down and be quite, at which point Archer apologized. I believe that Wiseman went on to miss that shot and Archer won the game and the next rack for a two-game swing.

In seeing the match today, Archer engaged in unsportsmanlike conduct a few different times:
- Since the ref was already watching the shot, Archer had no business approaching the table. That was sharking.
- After the match was over, instead of approaching Wiseman to shake hands, Archer turned his back to Wiseman so they apparently didn't shake hands.
- Let's not overlook the wild cue swinging after Archer missed a few shots too. (One rarely sees that type of frustration on a tv match.)

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Thanks for the heads-up on these matches!

Having now seen the Wiseman-Archer match, here are some impressions.

First, that is the worst I have ever seen Archer play, by far. For some reason he seemed incredibly nervous, and clearly his play was sub-par for him. I just saw some of the Jr. Nationals a week ago, and if Archer had played that way against Austin Murphy Archer would have lost by about 9-3.

Second, I thought Archer's interruption when Wiseman was at the table about to shoot the 5-ball when the score stood 6-4 showed very poor judgment, but that it was not necessarily a matter of sharking. Archer was out of his chair and looking at the shot from a distance for some time, and I think he wanted to make sure that the ref was aware of the foul possibility with the cueball being so close to the 5.

Having said that, he should have let the ref, who was watching the shot closely already, just do his job. Even if wasn't he trying to shark Wiseman, the effect of his poor judgment was the same, as Wiseman let it get to him and missed a couple of opportunities to close out the match after that. I'm glad Wiseman did eventually win the match, because I thought he deserved to.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
PoolSharkAllen said:
In seeing the match today, Archer engaged in unsportsmanlike conduct a few different times:
- Since the ref was already watching the shot, Archer had no business approaching the table. That was sharking.
- After the match was over, instead of approaching Wiseman to shake hands, Archer turned his back to Wiseman so they apparently didn't shake hands.
- Let's not overlook the wild cue swinging after Archer missed a few shots too. (One rarely sees that type of frustration on a tv match.)

I agree about Archer's behavior, but I also don't think that players should always have to act stoically in the heat of battle. Pool is an incredibly frustrating game, and I have no problem with a little show of emotion like that (the cue swinging), so long as it is not directed at your opponent.

The handshake is different. I have never refused to shake my opponent's hand after a match (even when my opponent has blatantly used sharking tactics), and I think Archer should have shaken hands. I can think of situations where I would refuse to shake hands after a match though.

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
Another thing I noticed is that the production values are a lot better than I've seen before from ESPN.

vicdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
The handshake is different. I have never refused to shake my opponent's hand after a match (even when my opponent has blatantly used sharking tactics), and I think Archer should have shaken hands. I can think of situations where I would refuse to shake hands after a match though.

Well also during the commercial break, ESPN showed that clip of Arching going to Wiseman to apologize for the episode and Wiseman said "You know exactly what you did" and didnt accept Archer's shake either. So Archer's non-shake at the end may have stemmed from that.

But I have never seen on TV what Archer did though. My opion is that it was sharking wether intentional or not.

Vic

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
sharking, poor judgment or acceptable?

I just watched the Archer/Wiseman "rack 11, 5 ball incident". My first reaction is that this was simply poor judgment on JA's part, done in the heat of the moment, without premeditated malice. JA seemed to be very tight up to that point. On more than one occassion he missed a shot and sword-slashed his cue about. There were "circumstances" I saw that were in play. JA was in his seat and Ronnie's position blocked JA's view. So JA got up pretty early on in the sequence to gain a better view. However, the ref was all over the shot.

It was obvious how Ronnie felt: "the damage has been done". "That was brutal". {sic} "not (going to accept your apology) after that move". Then JA seemed miffed after his multiple attempts to apologize were rebuffed (the offers appeared genuine to me). And fir the finale, as Ronnie is lining up the winning 9 ball, JA starts gathering his cues, then immediately stands up after the 9 drops, and turns around getting his equip. Ronnie walks over towards JA, appearing to want to come over and shake hands, while JA offers up only his back-side.

I'm inclined to say an opponent has to let Ronnie shoot that one (uninterrupted) since he was over the shot and the ref was right there. But, I am just a novice flea exercising keyboard freedoms. There are many members here with a lot more experience to draw upon and I'd love to learn from this and see how guys analyze BOTH player's behavior and break down of what happened. Interesting stuff!

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed the match, but from all I heard, intentional or not, it's sharking. In a match like this, the Ref is there for a reason. It's his job. JA had absolutely no business saying anything. If a foul had occurred, he may have the right after the shot to question the Ref.

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
Check out the Generationpool commercial they keep playing. The guy grabs the object ball off the table while another guy is shooting, and thinks it's hilarious. Not cool! They should cut to the blood streaming down his forehead after he gets whacked. Then say "have fun, play pool"