Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish them luck. Lots of it! All I would say to them in the way of advice would be Promote! Promote! Promote! for the first six months and welcome every new customer, make them feel at home there. After that word of mouth will make you or break you!
Great advice. I wonder, will they still be pursuing the tournament trail, or are they vested in putting 100% of their effort into making this venture a success?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great advice. I wonder, will they still be pursuing the tournament trail, or are they vested in putting 100% of their effort into making this venture a success?
If they are absentee owners they might as well kiss this business good bye!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JA's days as a full-time player are pretty much over. Not saying he can't still play but the kids are taking over.

middleofnowhere

Registered
If they are absentee owners they might as well kiss this business good bye!
I wonder if they have a mission statement. What they are doing is such a mishmash of ideas, what do they want it to be when they grows up?
It does not sound like a pool room by any definition. You don't do something like this without a clear idea where you want to go and a good idea of how you are going to get there. The success of most business like a McDonald or Wendy's franchises is not luck, they have a formula. Is there a formula here, or ideas thrown at the wall to see what sticks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if they have a mission statement. What they are doing is such a mishmash of ideas, what do they want it to be when they grows up?
It does not sound like a pool room by any definition. You don't do something like this without a clear idea where you want to go and a good idea of how you are going to get there. The success of most business like a McDonald or Wendy's franchises is not luck, they have a formula. Is there a formula here, or ideas thrown at the wall to see what sticks.
Are you the president of the glass-half-empty club? Its not a poolroom, its a sports-bar/club with pool tables. I'm sure they'd just love any input you'd bestow upon them.

phreaticus

Why such a negative & condescending attitude towards this? We all know these type of ventures are complex & risky for obvious reasons, but why harsh these guys? If you feel so compelled to demand that their vision/mission be explained to you, why don’t you just call them up and ask JA for a copy of their business plan, and offer up your expert mgt consulting services? One good sign that they might have some biz sense is that they aren’t on AZB or FB posting endless drivel & opinions.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why such a negative & condescending attitude towards this? We all know these type of ventures are complex & risky for obvious reasons, but why harsh these guys? If you feel so compelled to demand that their vision/mission be explained to you, why don’t you just call them up and ask JA for a copy of their business plan, and offer up your expert mgt consulting services? One good sign that they might have some biz sense is that they aren’t on AZB or FB posting endless drivel & opinions.
Agree 1000%.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I'll actually give you an honest answer. Years ago when I was growing up my father owned things like strip centers. I got to tell you, we used to see these people come and go with their big ideas. In many cases they were the only ones that didn't know they were going to lose their ass.

I looked up their property on the property appraiser's website it's history. I looked at the advertising for tenants offering 5-year concessions and the demographics. I would be just a little bit nervous making that kind of investment in that place in that location.

I actually talked a potential tenant out of investing in a 1-hour photo business. In my opinion he would be driven out of business by supermarkets and drug stores if it caught on, which it did and he would have been.

A few years later I ran into him and he thanking me for what I talked him out of doing, he would have lost his life savings.
With that I'm not going to make any more comments in this thread. We'll just revisit it in a year or two.

Last edited:

phreaticus

I'll actually give you an honest answer. Years ago when I was growing up my father owned things like strip centers. I got to tell you, we used to see these people come and go with their big ideas. In many cases they were the only ones that didn't know they were going to lose their ass.

I looked up their property on the property appraiser's website it's history. I looked at the advertising for tenants offering 5-year concessions and the demographics. I would be just a little bit nervous making that kind of investment in that place in that location.

I actually talked a potential tenant out of investing in a 1-hour photo business. In my opinion he would be driven out of business by supermarkets and drug stores if it caught on, which it did and he would have been.

A few years later I ran into him and he thanking me for what I talked him out of doing, he would have lost his life savings.
With that I'm not going to make any more comments in this thread. We'll just revisit it in a year or two.
Actually you completely failed to answer my questions. What you did is attempt to impress us all with your sage business acumen while disparaging their plans, based on the fact that your dad was once in RE and you know how to look up public property/tax info.

Do you somehow think I'm championing their business plans and/or predicting they are going to knock it out of the ballpark? I'm not, but I certainly wish them well and if given a chance would do anything in my power to help them. Do you somehow imagine that you are the only one on AZB who has biz experience that understands the risks and challenges these guys face? BTW, your deep insight basically applies to just about every retail store in every strip mall in USA, not just poolhalls and sports bars. There's a new boba tea, pizza point, taco shop, and sports bar every 1-2 years just about everywhere I look - but for some odd reason most of us don't feel the need to log into enthusiast forums and denigrate the proprietors and demand to have their vision explained to us, and share our negative views of their plans. Take care bother, I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but there are so many angry , negative folks in the world and on AZB - as pool players/enthusiasts - seems the least we could do is offer them some positive encouragement - or maybe just say nothing at all? But, I'm a huge proponent of free speech, so rock on - certainly no intent from me to silence you in the thread.

Peace of love

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I actually talked to potential tenant out of investing in a 1-hour photo business. In my opinion he would be driven out of business by supermarkets and drug stores if it caught on, which it did and he would have been.

Actually you completely failed to answer my questions. What you did is attempt to impress us all with your sage business acumen while disparaging their plans, based on the fact that your dad was once in RE and you know how to look up public property/tax info.

Do you somehow think I'm championing their business plans and/or predicting they are going to knock it out of the ballpark? I'm not, but I certainly wish them well and if given a chance would do anything in my power to help them. Do you somehow imagine that you are the only one on AZB who has biz experience that understands the risks and challenges these guys face? BTW, your deep insight basically applies to just about every retail store in every strip mall in USA, not just poolhalls and sports bars. There's a new boba tea, pizza point, taco shop, and sports bar every 1-2 years just about everywhere I look - but for some odd reason most of us don't feel the need to log into enthusiast forums and denigrate the proprietors and demand to have their vision explained to us, and share our negative views of their plans. Take care bother, I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but there are so many angry , negative folks in the world and on AZB - as pool players/enthusiasts - seems the least we could do is offer them some positive encouragement - or maybe just say nothing at all? But, I'm a huge proponent of free speech, so rock on - certainly no intent from me to silence you in the thread.

Peace of love
Knockers gotta knock brother. Some just aren't happy unless there's a dark cloud hangin' over.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could clear all this up. Every detail and answer every question.

But I’m not going to.

Relax, sit back and relax. There is nothing to worry about.

Time not me will answer these questions. Actually a little common sense wouldn’t hurt either. This is precisely the “noise” online that makes me want to go offline.

Best
Fatboy

phreaticus

I could clear all this up. Every detail and answer every question.

But I’m not going to.

Relax, sit back and relax. There is nothing to worry about.

Time not me will answer these questions. Actually a little common sense wouldn’t hurt either. This is precisely the “noise” online that makes me want to go offline.

Best
Fatboy

Fatboy, just to clarify I’m not seeking any answers. Well except for why some just aren't happy unless there's a dark cloud hanging over. But there is obviously no easy answer to that one. Back to my cave. Cheers

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy, just to clarify I’m not seeking any answers. Well except for why some just aren't happy unless there's a dark cloud hanging over. But there is obviously no easy answer to that one. Back to my cave. Cheers
We are cool,

This thing has been well planned from the beginning and not all answers are known. What’s is clear is there’s many plans in place and things are unfolding nicely. There are plenty of ideas that will be tried (promotions etc-with the hope they work, but nobody knows what shit will stick and what shit lands on the floor).

The pool room biz in traditional sense has not worked in a loooong time. So putting 20 tables in a space and turning in some lights is certain to fail. Takes everything and then some creativity to pull off a room these days. With that in mind pool time $ is about at the bottom of the list. So how much priority should pool even get? Why bother?

It’s a sports bar with vending, full kitchen, that’s owned by some guys who did in fact play pool. Pool isn’t the core biz. Who’s that dumb these days? Thinking you can open a pool room on its own merits

They are fine

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are cool,

This thing has been well planned from the beginning and not all answers are known. What’s is clear is there’s many plans in place and things are unfolding nicely. There are plenty of ideas that will be tried (promotions etc-with the hope they work, but nobody knows what shit will stick and what shit lands on the floor).

The pool room biz in traditional sense has not worked in a loooong time. So putting 20 tables in a space and turning in some lights is certain to fail. Takes everything and then some creativity to pull off a room these days. With that in mind pool time $ is about at the bottom of the list. So how much priority should pool even get? Why bother?

It’s a sports bar with vending, full kitchen, that’s owned by some guys who did in fact play pool. Pool isn’t the core biz. Who’s that dumb these days? Thinking you can open a pool room on its own merits

They are fine
It can happen. But it will be a private or semi private club with a membership. That's the only way.

I see it happening within 20 years... bars/sports bars will dump pool tables all together. Unless we can get youth involved.

ericdraven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BACK IN THE DAY the late 80ties . our small town and like 5 pool halls ,friend owned one . pool got really popular , people cruised the strip
then go play pool . hell even the local bait and tackle shop had like 5 tables in back . i was going to our community college , we had game room 4 tables , video games. when i graduated a year i went back to seel some friends , all table gone , now it was computer lab, the room with all the softchairs to hang out with mtv gone . table and chairs . 35,000 people lived here , ended up now last so many years people have pool night at their house , i bought 9 foot table right after that my dad died ,we farmed and very close , i just quit everthing . but to play public now you gotta drive hour to play in a hall . now im the stake horse for my 5 year grandkid . who will getting a szamboti soon .

i started out with a m1 mcdermott 🤬🤬🤬🤬