Are there any really great virtual pool games out there?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've owned virtual pool 4 for several years now, and I've liked it, in spite of its limitations. But I have to say, after playing Shooters Pool now, for a couple of days, it's miles ahead of VP4. It's so realistic, I even recognize the playing characteristics of the Rassoon table (we had one like it in my club). The tables of VP4 do not play like anything I've ever played on, the pockets, in particular, play very odd. At times shots rattle for no good reason, even on huge pockets. Both games give you way too much ball action, but Shooters pool seems more natural in the way the ball reacts. The cueball in VP 4 does not seem to have any mass, and it's tough to play proper straight pool on it. In VP4 I'm about 25% as good as in real life, but even with a couple of days of practise I'm way better at Shooters pool. It's not artificially easy, either, it just plays like a real table.

The snooker in vp4 is just impossible, the tables play plain weird, and pocketing balls is way too hard. The cloth is super slidy to the point of being comical, though you can tweak parameters till you are blue in the face, it's not ever going to get close to a real table. Even brand new match cloth plays nothing like this, and with the cueball mass problem, control issues are compounded. Keep in mind, I play on EXTRA tight snooker tables and make good size breaks in real life, I can't make anything happen in vp 4. I mean it frequently seems like the game is screwing you over on purpose in VP4.

I'm playing the free version of shooters pool, and I love it. When money gets less tight, I'll buy the full version. Recommended.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean it frequently seems like the game is screwing you over on purpose in VP4.

THIS! I was thinking i must be paranoid when i was playing VP4 seems it alters swing speed bad way to make game harder. Maybe it is too easy and they solved problem this kinda way.. :rolleyes: