Are there any youtube channels on pool?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently read this story about youtube channels and the people who do them.
http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashv...ome-cases-a-cash-register/Content?oid=4042808

I like guns and shooting and I can spend hours watching different channels of shooting, gun reviews, ammo reviews and so on. The more you look the more you find to watch.
I can't say I have found any on pool though. Many of these youtubers and become celebrities in their own right.

So is there any pool channels to subscribe to? If not why?

This guy (one of my favorites) who is very successful on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45
He has like 1.25 million subscribers and a number of vids with over a million views. God only knows how many views for everything he has done.
He is a retired school teacher who did his first video like 6 years ago.
I can't believe there is not at least one pool player who is not a youtube celeb.
 
Last edited:
I'm also a big fan of hickok45. Idk of any pool channels as prolific as his but max eberle has a lot of good videos


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm also a big fan of hickok45. Idk of any pool channels as prolific as his but max eberle has a lot of good videos


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't realize there was a business in it. Some of these people make pretty good money from their channels from what I read.
I see Tor Lowry has one but his total subscribers is like 12000. I guess for pool that is good. CJ Wiley has one with, are you ready, 611 subscribers.
 
Last edited:
Here are some that I have subscribed to.

genipool14

POVPOOL

Matthew Lester has all of 2008 mosconi cup

Billiard Club Network

InsidePoolmag

Carom Billiards - Topic

SportTV Channel
 
I'm also a big fan of hickok45. Idk of any pool channels as prolific as his but max eberle has a lot of good videos


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just looked at max eberle and he has like 2500 subscribers. Some of his videos have quit a few views but they have been up there for years.

To make a comparison I looked at a lady who has a channel on sewing. She has like 14000 subscribers but the big difference is she has videos that have only been up a week and have a few thousand views.

The deeper you look into the situation with pool and where it is, the more surprising it gets. Except for playing it a bit, I don't think most people and that includes those who play it, really give much of a sh!t about the game. They may play it some but will certainly in no way support it it looks like.
There is just no evidence to the contrary.
 
I just looked at max eberle and he has like 2500 subscribers. Some of his videos have quit a few views but they have been up there for years.

To make a comparison I looked at a lady who has a channel on sewing. She has like 14000 subscribers but the big difference is she has videos that have only been up a week and have a few thousand views.

The deeper you look into the situation with pool and where it is, the more surprising it gets. Except for playing it a bit, I don't think most people and that includes those who play it, really give much of a sh!t about the game. They may play it some but will certainly in no way support it it looks like.
There is just no evidence to the contrary.

Good point there. Following your lead I went to the ITTF you tube channel. International table tennis federation....63,000 subscribers with one video over one million views, and another around 900 k views....

There really isn't a focused interest in pool because it's so fractured....if billiards has a ruling international federation of some sort maybe things would change.
And to tell you the truth...even from an outsider perspective that I tried to take...pool is way more interesting, skillful, and outright more difficult than table tennis...no reason it shouldn't be included in Olympics like ping pong is.
 
Genipool14
InsidePOOLmag
POVpool
BClub
Bilijar9
Антон Антоний
CueSports International (CSI)
TheActionReport
jfredwmdk
trumanhw
Alan Chen
Alison Chang
mathildaonthehill
Eagletrickshots2
AZBtvision
pooljack888
PoolActionTV Bigtruck
Ultimate 10 Ball Championships
Yokita72

Filipino youtube channels:
69billiard
batangtirador
REDCUBE Billiards
pinoyjunbilliards
 
Last year I did about 1.5 million views on the TAR YouTube channel. YouTube TOS forbids partners from discussing payments but I can tell you that 1.5 million views will not buy you a SouthWest cue or a Diamond Table.

To make any real money requires many millions of views.

I am big into guns and custom knives as well and have spent a lot of time researching the successful YouTube channels in those industries. One thing stands out in particular. The most prolific channels in the guns and knives genre are "review" channels.

A guy shows a gun, maybe shoots it a little and talks about how awesome it is. For the most part they are all industry shills in one way or another. One driving factor to the success of the channels is the unprecedented boom in gun sales and interest in all things tactical, zombie and prepper. Some one who is thinking about buying a Glock 19 googles it and up come twenty videos of guys "reviewing' it.

You get the outliers like FPS Russia who merges guns and the video game culture as well as a few of the training based channels but for the most part its review based channels that draw the most eyeballs.

The guys with the most views get the best placement in search results and the sidebar videos. So the snowball just keeps getting bigger with that channel getting more and more subscribers and views. The industry capitalizes on this buy sending new products to these guys for "review". At SHOT show every year there is a media range day that used to be predominately magazine writers. Now its filled with YouTube guys and other new media types.

Just to give you an idea of the scope of this boom in the gun world there were 21 million NICS background checks ran in 2013. Multiple guns can be purchased on one background check. Figure an average price of $500 per gun. In one year. This does not include law enforcement or gov't sales. Now figure in that retail brick and mortar gun stores make the vast majority of their money not off of the guns themselves but all the supporting paraphernalia that go with them. This gives you an idea of the type of money we are talking about in the industry. Pool is so small as to be nothing compared to the firearms industry.

If there were 21 million people a year buying $500 Predator cues you would see a lot of people on YouTube talking about them.
 
Last edited:
Last year I did about 1.5 million views on the TAR YouTube channel. YouTube TOS forbids partners from discussing payments but I can tell you that 1.5 million views will not buy you a SouthWest cue or a Diamond Table.

To make any real money requires many millions of views.

I am big into guns and custom knives as well and have spent a lot of time researching the successful YouTube channels in those industries. One thing stands out in particular. The most prolific channels in the guns and knives genre are "review" channels.

A guy shows a gun, maybe shoots it a little and talks about how awesome it is. For the most part they are all industry shills in one way or another. One driving factor to the success of the channels is the unprecedented boom in gun sales and interest in all things tactical, zombie and prepper. Some one who is thinking about buying a Glock 19 googles it and up come twenty videos of guys "reviewing' it.

You get the outliers like FPS Russia who merges guns and the video game culture as well as a few of the training based channels but for the most part its review based channels that draw the most eyeballs.

The guys with the most views get the best placement in search results and the sidebar videos. So the snowball just keeps getting bigger with that channel getting more and more subscribers and views. The industry capitalizes on this buy sending new products to these guys for "review". At SHOT show every year there is a media range day that used to be predominately magazine writers. Now its filled with YouTube guys and other new media types.

Just to give you an idea of the scope of this boom in the gun world there were 21 million NICS background checks ran in 2013. Multiple guns can be purchased on one background check. Figure an average price of $500 per gun. In one year. This does not include law enforcement or gov't sales. Now figure in that retail brick and mortar gun stores make the vast majority of their money not off of the guns themselves but all the supporting paraphernalia that go with them. This gives you an idea of the type of money we are talking about in the industry. Pool is so small as to be nothing compared to the firearms industry.

If there were 21 million people a year buying $500 Predator cues you would see a lot of people on YouTube talking about them.

As usual Justin puts it into perspective.

Simply put the elusive 30 million "people who play pool" just don't exist and the ones who really do exist don't really care.

Here is a pool stuff review page, https://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonBilliardGuy

He has 11,500 subscribers and 2.7 million views spread out over 100+ videos.

In contrast, https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCraftyGemini/about

She has 147,000 subscribers and 14 million views.

The problem is that we are preaching to a really small audience. Having said that, I think that to the active go the spoils.

I have sold a bunch of cases based off my YouTube activity. Both the videos on CTE and the ones about our cases. Mine are crude and off the cuff, not well planned, bad lighting, bad audio and I tend to ramble.

So, imagine how much someone can do with better planning and presentation.

I would send my product to anyone who was SERIOUSLY doing a decent review channel. I think that there are many who could do it. Some of them don't have a conflict of interest even :-)

So the answer to the OP's question is SORT OF. There are those who are doing pool channels in various flavors, some with a lot of instruction, some with matches, some with analysis. You just have to find them and subscribe.

Someone ought to do a weekly video highlighting the best in pool video on YouTube. Wouldn't that be great if some day a JB Cases rant vid got featured? :-)

For the good information of course.......
 
Somebody should start a channel doing commentary voiceovers of professional matches. 90% of the pool on youtube has terrible/non-English/no commentary and the rest only has mediocre commentary or commentary that was good for the live stream, but not very good when viewed after the event.

This format has worked successfully for various competitive gaming channels and would make it much more likely for people to watch the huge amount of matches there are on youtube. The only problems I see are getting permission to use videos other people created and finding a well spoken person with a good personality who actually knows enough about the game not to make an ass out of himself.

Check out HuskyStarcraft for an example of this in pro-gaming.
 
Last edited:
My son wants to do a pool YouTube channel for kids. We just our table setup and I am going to setup some video cameras for him there. Webcams but good quality, I can't get the multi hundred dollar cameras.

I think video conferencing can be used for lessons and even matches. Think about a couple of guys playing the ghost live in a video call.
 
My son wants to do a pool YouTube channel for kids. We just our table setup and I am going to setup some video cameras for him there. Webcams but good quality, I can't get the multi hundred dollar cameras.

I think video conferencing can be used for lessons and even matches. Think about a couple of guys playing the ghost live in a video call.
That would be great. One thing I notice with the ones that are more successful is they post up frequently.

I have a few I subscribe to and when you go there and the most recent thing posted up is 6 months old you tend to not come back.

Here is a few guys talking about how they became youtubers that may be interesting. I would study what others are doing also. It does not to be pool related for there to be something to learn that he may be able to adapt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xahsPIcq21k&list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg

One thing I think is always interesting are the "What is in the case" videos. They can probably be done at most any tournament if you can get a players to agree. It doesn't have to be some world champion, people like to look at cues and equipment hear opinions. Cuemaker interviews and shop tours would draw a lot of attention. There are ideas out there.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top