Are there Really "Hard and Easy Shots" in Pocket Billiards?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't believe is you have a dart board.

Wow, are you sure ?..Thats a week longer than it takes to learn one pocket !.. BTW, Could you please send me an autographed 8 X 10 glossy of yourself ?..I want to hang it on my game room wall..(right below the dart board :eek:)

PS..Maybe you'd better send several ! :D

I believe you want an autographed picture, I don't believe you have a dart board. :groucho:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you want an autographed picture, I don't believe you have a dart board. :groucho:

Oh yeah !...On the left, just above the Southern Comfort sign, which I will replace with your picture ! :p

009.jpg

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good pic SJD.

I mean this with all sincerity you are looking good. That layered look is cool... you got style!

Keep the stories coming too, I love them.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pre-shot routine, at the most advanced levels, rehearses every aspect of the upcoming shot. "you should get down on each shot as if it's already been made"

This is much easier said than done, I had to learn it over many years of competition, and just recently have I learned to teach it effectively. Even with that said, it takes about 8 hours to teach and 3 weeks to incorporate.

I like that. Without getting too overconfident or lax on the PSR, I can see where you could mentally rehearse the total picture and visualize the pot. That'd eliminate the chatter a bit.

Best,
Mike

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Connecting Arms, Shoulders, Hands, Feet Legs and Hips to the TIP

I like that. Without getting too overconfident or lax on the PSR, I can see where you could mentally rehearse the total picture and visualize the pot. That'd eliminate the chatter a bit.

Best,
Mike

At the highest levels you need to connect every body part to the cue, and the tip. This is for very serious students, I just got done teaching it over 8 hours (4 hours a day). Once someone gets this down they have a chance to play as well as their mind can conceive.

This is along the same lines as how Hank Haney teaches to connect every thing (arms, wrists, shoulders, hips, legs feet) to the golf-club leading edge.

I wish I could explain this one, however, it's even mentally draining in person.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll visualize or imagine my mind as water, making it as still as possible.

I hear you! And thanks for the lessons.

The attitude of gratitude is a great lesson and one I can use in more areas than you know. But back on point to pool. Keep in mind that a thought doesnt have to be fleeting in order to be a thought. Attitude starts with beliefs which create thoughts wich creat emotions which create attitudes and behaviors. Ask yourself... What is "shots are neither easy or hard"? Is it a belief? Is it a way that you like to think about each shot? Or is it an attitude of gratitude?

These discussions are good. Thanks again CJ.

The main objective is to have no "highs or lows" in your mental attitude while playing. Sometimes I'll visualize or imagine my mind as water, making it as still as possible.....even the smallest ripple (thought) will blur the image. This helps calm my thoughts and create a more serene frame of mind before a big match.

Efren often closes his eyes and appears to meditate before his matches.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main objective is to have no "highs or lows" in your mental attitude while playing. Sometimes I'll visualize or imagine my mind as water, making it as still as possible.....even the smallest ripple (thought) will blur the image. This helps calm my thoughts and create a more serene frame of mind before a big match.

Efren often closes his eyes and appears to meditate before his matches.

He's sleeping.

Lou Figueroa

GoldenFlash

Banned
Ride the lightning and get the cash.

I have been studying TOI and CTE for about a year now and the improvement in my game is amazing.
I will state that when working out with TOI at the beginning, I was astonished when balls that "I just knew wouldn't go in the pocket" sailed in there like bullets.
My vision could not believe it as I couldn't grasp the idea of the CB being the target and not the OB.
But dutifully, like a pup, (I paid money for this stuff) I'd go ahead and do the mechanics as CJ tells us to do in the video...all the time saying to myself "this is insane, that ball isn't going in" and then *whack*..........in the pocket it would go.
Nobody could've been as surprised as I was..because I positively did not believe this goofy(?) method was going to work for me for various reasons, etc etc. But I guess I just have more money than I have sense so I kept on punching at it.
It is NOT an instant gratification tool.....you gotta' burn the midnight oil with this deal.
I like both methods of play TOI and CTE, but when I get drunk and have made a bad bet and am jammed up on that short rail near a pocket with a crummy rail bridge and the money ball is wayyy down at the other end 9 feet away...and straight in the hole, I grab that TOI and drill it.
Working pretty good for me.
Flash

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact is of corse there is harder shots , Hanks not saying there isn't hard shots what he is saying is Tiger like many loose focuse on shots they think are easy in golf that might just be a stroke in pool that can be loss of game maybe match
What I have found often the difference in a pro level player and a amature player is a pro understands excatly what his ability is and seldom if ever attempts shots that are low percentage and plays safe
This is why CJ wants push out because he does not recognize the art of a safe as a skill shot and he wants to force that player to make bad decisions so the bottom line is there is hard shots ,

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's sleeping.

Lou Figueroa
Thanks a lot, Lou -- I just blasted a mouthful of iced tea on my keyboard laughing at your comeback (when someone idly said that Efren closes his eyes to meditate before a match).

Arnaldo

Popeye31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is the only hard shots are the ones you either don't now how to shoot or are uncomfortable shooting. I get asked all the time why I shot a specific shot ? that its a low probability shot ( Hard Shot) and I should have shot something else. and I say because I new I could make it . how is it a low probability shot ( Hard Shot) if I know I can make it . I tend to like shots that, to most people is a Hard shot. I think being able to make a so called Hard shot makes me a better player. My opponent is going to do that hide the ball shot ,sorry ( safety ) shot . and Im going to be able to get out of it .

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Kicking" was not a part of pocket billiards unless the ball was close to the pocket

The fact is of corse there is harder shots , Hanks not saying there isn't hard shots what he is saying is Tiger like many loose focuse on shots they think are easy in golf that might just be a stroke in pool that can be loss of game maybe match
What I have found often the difference in a pro level player and a amature player is a pro understands excatly what his ability is and seldom if ever attempts shots that are low percentage and plays safe
This is why CJ wants push out because he does not recognize the art of a safe as a skill shot and he wants to force that player to make bad decisions so the bottom line is there is hard shots ,

Actually the "art of the safe" is more challenging in 'Two Shot Shoot Out' than "one-foul-rules". In one foul you can play so many nitty safes and get rewarded it's degrading to the integrity of the game. "Kicking" was not a part of pocket billiards unless the ball was close to the pocket and the player CHOSE to kick at the ball.

Let's bring back the game as it was intended, instead of this diluted, uninteresting version...... we will all be glad we did, and the game will prosper once again.

'the GAME is the teacher'

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the "art of the safe" is more challenging in 'Two Shot Shoot Out' than "one-foul-rules". In one foul you can play so many nitty safes and get rewarded it's degrading to the integrity of the game. "Kicking" was not a part of pocket billiards unless the ball was close to the pocket and the player CHOSE to kick at the ball.

Let's bring back the game as it was intended, instead of this diluted, uninteresting version...... we will all be glad we did, and the game will prosper once again.

'the GAME is the teacher'

As you know, I also favor 2 shot shoot out...But, (as usual) I have a problem with the way you 'try' to explain things !..There is nothing 'nitty' about playing safe..It will often win games, whatever rules are in effect !..Also, good kicking skills have always been an integral part of any pool game.. Could it be your weakness in that area, that makes you tend to downgrade its importance ? :confused:

Lastly, it is incumbent upon the player's themselves, to maintain the 'integrity' of the game !..To reword your somewhat 'diluted', pointless motto... "The game cannot teach integrity". :sorry:

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
We're glad you have integrity, it's marvelous

As you know, I also favor 2 shot shoot out...But, (as usual) I have a problem with the way you 'try' to explain things !..There is nothing 'nitty' about playing safe..It will often win games, whatever rules are in effect !..Also, good kicking skills have always been an integral part of any pool game.. Could it be your weakness in that area, that makes you tend to downgrade its importance ? :confused:

Lastly, it is incumbent upon the player's themselves, to maintain the 'integrity' of the game !..To reword your somewhat 'diluted', pointless motto... "The game cannot teach integrity". :sorry:

Thanks Dad, I love how you "try" to explain things. If less than 1% of the time is "integral" to you, then you are right again. :thumbup:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
So few players maximize acceleration at the moment of contact.

I have been studying TOI and CTE for about a year now and the improvement in my game is amazing.
I will state that when working out with TOI at the beginning, I was astonished when balls that "I just knew wouldn't go in the pocket" sailed in there like bullets.
My vision could not believe it as I couldn't grasp the idea of the CB being the target and not the OB.
But dutifully, like a pup, (I paid money for this stuff) I'd go ahead and do the mechanics as CJ tells us to do in the video...all the time saying to myself "this is insane, that ball isn't going in" and then *whack*..........in the pocket it would go.
Nobody could've been as surprised as I was..because I positively did not believe this goofy(?) method was going to work for me for various reasons, etc etc. But I guess I just have more money than I have sense so I kept on punching at it.

It is NOT an instant gratification tool.....you gotta' burn the midnight oil with this deal.
I like both methods of play TOI and CTE, but when I get drunk and have made a bad bet and am jammed up on that short rail near a pocket with a crummy rail bridge and the money ball is wayyy down at the other end 9 feet away...and straight in the hole, I grab that TOI and drill it.
Working pretty good for me.
Flash

Yes, it's ironic that what is the most effective in pool (utilized by champion players) is usually the opposite (or close to it) of what is commonly done and taught. The follow though, grip, and aiming are the ones that are way off in "left field" compared to what's best, in my opinion. So few players maximize acceleration at the moment of contact.

I've played in over 80 tournaments so far this year and the same players make the same mistakes because of the same reasons....time after time after time after time..is this just human nature?

I want to help them all, however they seem to be perfectly content to stay the same - who am I to argue with "bliss". ;) 'the GAME is the teacher'

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess you played some one pocket too from what I'm told

As you know, I also favor 2 shot shoot out..

I don't have any idea what you favor, everyone says you were a "golf on a snooker table" player. And, I guess you played some one pocket too from what I'm told. ;)