Are there Really "Hard and Easy Shots" in Pocket Billiards?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hey CJ, if this were true, would not the percentages of a shooter in a match be the same for the long, full table shots and the shots close to pocket, and also the medium shots?

In reality, the pro's will make 99% of the less difficult shots, make 90% of the medium shots and around 75% of the tough shots. (percentages to illustrate a point, all pro's will differ slightly but the idea, in a long match, the missed shots are going to come from the tougher shots, it will not be equal)

I do understand what you are trying to say, and getting the brain to accept all shots as equal, and thus, feel confident that you can make any shot. But, the game has moved into such perfect "position" play from guys like SVB and others, and the reason why they are on top.

Because they don't have as many tough shots, because of the precise position play. Heck, if I get bih for every shot, to make my run easier, I would NOT set up one difficult shot, would you? If I miss a shot, my run is over. But with BIH probably not gonna happen but once in a blue moon. And I'd be giving SVB the Orange Crush and robbing him ;)

Rather, it's better to prepare for each shot as the same, don't change your PSR, don't change your practice strokes, don't take extra time to stare the difficult shot down, and by all means, if you miss, look good doing it. In other words, put your best stroke on the ball, and don't worry about the outcome because if you put you best stroke on the ball, there should not be too much to worry about.

The easy shots are missed because they took it for granted and the hard shots were over analyzed, including, if I miss this shot I LOSE, the team loses, whatever. And usually, they jump up, turn their wrist, suddenly use the chicken wing, squeeze the cue to hard, move their body, put unintended spin on the ball, etc. etc. etc.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When this subject comes up, it seems like the common approach that is taught is to view each shot as if it is the money ball. Take each shot very seriously and give it your complete attention.

I think this approach is exactly backwards. The goal should not be to view each shot as if they are difficult but instead to view each shot as if they are easy. To be more clear, some teach that the hanger should be given the same amount of attention as should the more difficult long and thin cut shot. Again, I contend that the goal should be the opposite. Stop fooling yourself into thinking you can intently focus your way through making a difficult shot. Instead, just view it as another hanger. Go through the same routine each time but accept your fate and get down and shoot the ball.

Of course some shots take a bit more time to see than others but once you are down over the ball just do your thing and get on with it.

I think this is an area where you can clearly see a difference between serious amateurs and pros. Many amateur players TRY TOO HARD to make balls. I've been guilty of this myself. When you try really hard to play pool the game gets more difficult not less. At least for me.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The mind is a powerful thing and when focused correctly

How about the shooter that passes what may be the correct shot because they are not comfortable with it. Re-training your mind to think that all shots are equal may improve your game slightly???? Who knows??

There were many shots that I was uncomfortable with early in my career. It's funny, however, the place I practiced them the most was while driving a car.....mentally creating the angles out of road signs, and whatever else caught my eye.

When driving, we tend to go into a mental state that's similar to "the zone," I took full advantage of this, training my mind to make shots that were troubling me.

They have done experiments with this, I believe it was Tony Robbins that worked with basketball players and rifle "sharpshooters" to test whether mentally visualizing perfect results made a difference and it did.....in many cases more than those that actually practiced their particular skill.

The mind is a powerful thing and when focused correctly it can achieve amazing results.

"If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results you want and copy what they do and you'll achieve the same results". - Tony Robbins

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/tony_robbins.html#Cem0pEy1pX28g9il.99

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
We start to practice in a different way, improving our weaknesses and facing them

Hey CJ, if this were true, would not the percentages of a shooter in a match be the same for the long, full table shots and the shots close to pocket, and also the medium shots?

In reality, the pro's will make 99% of the less difficult shots, make 90% of the medium shots and around 75% of the tough shots. (percentages to illustrate a point, all pro's will differ slightly but the idea, in a long match, the missed shots are going to come from the tougher shots, it will not be equal)

I do understand what you are trying to say, and getting the brain to accept all shots as equal, and thus, feel confident that you can make any shot. But, the game has moved into such perfect "position" play from guys like SVB and others, and the reason why they are on top.

Because they don't have as many tough shots, because of the precise position play. Heck, if I get bih for every shot, to make my run easier, I would NOT set up one difficult shot, would you? If I miss a shot, my run is over. But with BIH probably not gonna happen but once in a blue moon. And I'd be giving SVB the Orange Crush and robbing him ;)

Rather, it's better to prepare for each shot as the same, don't change your PSR, don't change your practice strokes, don't take extra time to stare the difficult shot down, and by all means, if you miss, look good doing it. In other words, put your best stroke on the ball, and don't worry about the outcome because if you put you best stroke on the ball, there should not be too much to worry about.

The easy shots are missed because they took it for granted and the hard shots were over analyzed, including, if I miss this shot I LOSE, the team loses, whatever. And usually, they jump up, turn their wrist, suddenly use the chicken wing, squeeze the cue to hard, move their body, put unintended spin on the ball, etc. etc. etc.

You are missing the point. When you start figuring percentages you are training your mind in a negative way. Sure, these things are all taken into consideration, however, this is a different aspect of the game.....the strategic part, not the shot-making part.

What's ironic is after training our minds in the way Hank and I suggest something magical happens. We actually start to make the shots easier and easier when it comes to position play, this is true in golf and in pool.

This happens because we are tapping into a part of our minds that can enable this to happen. We start to practice in a different way, improving our weaknesses and facing them instead of "playing around them".

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's ironic is after training our minds in the way Hank and I suggest something magical happens. We actually start to make the shots easier and easier when it comes to position play, this is true in golf and in pool.

This happens because we are tapping into a part of our minds that can enable this to happen. We start to practice in a different way, improving our weaknesses and facing them instead of "playing around them".

Mr. Wiley, I never cease to be amazed at your constant reference, to 'the mind', and its capacity to solve any, and all problems !..Sorry, but nothing 'magical' is going to happen ?..If it did, the difficult, and often insurmountable problems we all deal with as we go through life, would become a simple walk in the park !

To expand that theory, into mastering a skill, such as pool or golf, (or anything for that matter), just seems to be even more ludicrous !.. I seriously doubt, if one in fifty million people, including Tiger or Hank Haney, or you, could master the intricacies of any skill set, strictly by using ANY form of "magically heightened brain power"!

Granted, the people who have a natural talent for whatever it is they're pursuing, may be able to condition their mind to AID in their ultimate goal..But without first having the 'hand eye coordination', control over their nervous system, or the elusive 'natural talent' to begin with, they will NEVER come anywhere near the level of success, that you say is within 'everyone's' grasp !

Its great to encourage people to be the best that they can be, at anything !..But I can't help but feel that you are using some form of 'Psyhco-babble' (ie; mind game double talk) to try and convince people, YOU, and you alone, have discovered the best way to guarantee success ?.. Forgive me, but I am just trying to inject some REALITY into your brain, and YOUR thought processes !..Its obvious you are not ready to thank me YET, but you'll wake up, someday ! ;)

SJD

Reactions: DTL

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
accuracy is the foundation, the rest is structure.

CJ said "The fact is all the shots are basically the same. "

Is it possible that you really believe this?

Dale

Try making any shot without hitting the cue ball straight and see what happens.

The root of all shot-making is the ability to hit the cue ball precisely. This is the foundation, the rest is structure.

What gave me the confidence to win gambling matches against top players on their "home court" is I knew that over time my ability to hit the cue ball accurately would overcome anything they could do....through many battles this proved true. (of course I had a big advantage in longer matches using TOI)

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try making any shot without hitting the cue ball straight and see what happens.

The root of all shot-making is the ability to hit the cue ball precisely. This is the foundation, the rest is structure.

What gave me the confidence to win gambling matches against top players on their "home court" is I knew that over time my ability to hit the cue ball accurately would overcome anything they could do....through many battles this proved true. (of course I had a big advantage in longer matches using TOI)

Since you have obviously forgotten, YOUR wording was:

"Are there Really "Hard and Easy Shots" in Pocket Billiards? "

WTF has anything that you have said after the original post had to do with
hard shots and easy shots and the possible existence thereof?

Dale

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you have obviously forgotten, YOUR wording was:

"Are there Really "Hard and Easy Shots" in Pocket Billiards? "

WTF has anything that you have said after the original post had to do with
hard shots and easy shots and the possible existence thereof?

Dale

To advertise TOI.

To answer the original question; Are there really hard and easy shots in pocket billiards?

Yes, there are difficult and easy shots to execute. What is easy for me, may be difficult to a beginner. If you put a ball in front of the pocket and put the cue ball in the middle of the table, I will make that shot 100% of the time. If you set up the same shot for someone who has never picked up a cue in their life, it will be difficult.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, there is no such thing as an "easy" shot. All shots are multi-faceted and require concentration, attention to detail and visualization. Missed shots are often accompanied by a lack of one or more of these requirements. Pool is hard; nothing easy about it.
Except for the hardest shots that may be low percent to start with, most misses if you were given a second chance to shoot the shot, you would make the shot. Wouldn't it be nice to not need the second chance and make it the first time every time.

I remember a top player saying that all most players need to do to be successful in tournaments is to play their speed. It sounds like silly statement till you think about it.

How many games and matches do you lose that were within your ability to win minus dumb mistakes. You don't need to play over your head, just your speed.

To quote Danny DiLiberto, "Good pool is doing simple things consistently".
I think that is true, pool is not brain surgery. Most players have it within their ability to play a very good game if they could just let it happen. It does not take magic to be a tough completive player.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

I have repeatedly proven in front of many eye witnesses, that all shots are hard and the only easy thing about the game is missing, that is easy to do. I will continue to prove it periodically when my opponent least expects it.

As distance increases shots are harder for me. Severe angles are harder for me. Shooting over a frozen ball and off the rail is harder for me. Using inside English is harder for me. Woe is me! If it was easy and I rarely missed I would become bored with the game.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Sure there are both hard and easy shots in pocket billiards. It is important to know that. I disagree with Mr. Wiley on this one. If you are not a good shotmaker, then knowing the percentages will help you avoid giving games away. You can't become a shotmaker just from wanting to, or being ignorant of risks. Sure when you have the skills, it is important to trust them, but then you allready have the ability through years of training or good genetics.

Sometimes in games between professionals a player will have a few misses in a row, and starts declining shots that he should make with ease. At that time a speach about trusting your ability would be appropriate. But if you tell an amateur that there are no such things as difficult shots, what do you expect will happen?

In a long game of, for instance straight pool, it will be vital not to wear yourself out by using a lot of energy and time on the easy shots. A certain minimum of effort should be excerted of course, but not more. Long, hard cuts should be given some extra time and effort on the other hand. This ought to be common sense. And you can see it in most of the successful players. When the pressure is on and the shot is hard, they give it time and respect. I've seen Reyes do it, Appleton...you name the player. They don't fret or anything, they just take time and concentrate that little bit extra.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously (at least to me), there are shots that require more or less accuracy and precision in alignment, tip placement, and speed control depending on the CB to OB distance, OB to pocket distance, cut angle, angle to the pocket, desired CB path, etc. There are also shots that are easier or harder to visualize depending on their location on the table, relationship of the angle to the rail, need to bank or kick, and so on.

The intent of the mantra, "there are no easy shots," is to teach yourself to take each shot seriously so that you don't dog a relatively easy shot or position by not giving it the proper attention. Anyone who has been playing pool for a while has had occasions where they took an easy shot too casually and missed the shot or missed their leave, much to the surprise of both them and their opponent.

As for hard shots, even the pros pass on shots that are technically possible and play defense instead. If every shot is just as easy as the next, why wouldn't they play the 3-rail kick-bank-combo to make the money ball every time?

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there are definitely hard and easy shots, and that can be related to many parts of the shot. First, an easy shot has a larger part of the OB that can be hit and still be made. This generally occurs with a small amount of angle on the shot with the OB closer to the pocket. With a shot like this, you can miss to the right or left of the desired contact area and still make the shot, giving you more room for error. Of course the further you move away from the pocket, the more pecisely you have to hit the OB to get it go in. The greater the angle on the shot, the more precisely you have to hit it to get it to go in, and missing to one side is more problematic than missing to the other. Second, the position you have to play to get to the next ball can take an easy ball to pocket and make it much harder. If you have to add english to a shot you now add a load of other variables that must be taken into account to perform the shot correctly. If all I have to do with a shot is allow the CB to follow its tangent line a few inches or feet, that makes the shot much easier than if I have to add english and account for throw, squirt and a variance to the tangent line. Also, anytime you have to make the CB travel farther to get position or change its path to avoid a pocket or another ball, the shot becomes harder. Its also an issue when you have a shot where you have to let the CB go in order to make the shot. This inherently makes it harder to find position for you next shot and avoid a scratch or collision with another ball. Third is the distance between the CB and OB, especially if the OB is any distance from the pocket. Everyone has heard the saying, "there's a lot of green in this shot". Quite simply, the further they are away, the more any slight error in your alignment or stroke will be magnified by the time the CB hits the OB. Lastly, and one of the bigger ones for me is the speed that the shot has to be hit at. Any shot requiring a a softer stroke or a stroke that is closer to my "natural and comfortable" stroke speed is much more accurate for me. If I have to ramp up my stroke speed for the shot, it creates a number of potential errors for me and other players such as over gripping the cue, increased elbow drop (which is detrimental to my stroke), increased shoulder movement, a tendency to accelerate my cue too quickly, and a tendency to pull my hand into my body more. These things can be fixed with practice, but still tend to create a lower potting percentage than when the shot can be performed with a more natural stroke.

Many of the above things become less of an issue when you reach a certain level. For example, a very accomplished and knowledgeable player can step up to a straight in stop shot and know how to hit it as easily as a straight in shot requiring side spin because their experience and knowledge allow them to know immediately where to strike the CB and how to adjust for the variables created by side spin, making the shot just about going through their preshot routine and stroking the necessary spot. However, nothing changes many of the other variables that simply give you less room for error making that shot harder than one that allows for more.

You could argue that pressure makes any shot harder!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there hard and easy shots? Yes. How do I know this? Because if there were not then I would select the "harder" shot 100% of the time.

What's this "Touch of Inside" thingy? Was Vincent Price in it?

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my experience many of the easy shots started out hard, There a some that I worked on for weeks until I could get it right, I would see others shoot it and mine would come up a little short, after working on the shot what was once hard now is an easy shot, I think many players faced this early on with the draw shot, never seemed to work, then they go crazy with it, drawing everything.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No disrespect to anything CJ might have said in the past, but,
this is his best yet.

I tell friends not to get "emotionally involved with the shot."
When a person considers a shot Hard, or Long, or On the rail, omg,
Or even Easy..
they have just formed an opinion where no opinion is necessary.
They have just become emotionally involved.
This persons make pct just went down a notch.

They are going to try harder, or try to focus more, or stroke straighter, or something.

If a person can play as if any shot "is just another shot", after all it is only that,
Aim it and stroke it as best they can, for better or worse,
they will have become a better player.

I am no champ, for sure, but I know what it takes to play the best I can.
The ability to "Not Think About It," to me is very hard.
It happens, once for about six or eight months, then it went away and I have been chasing ever since...

I get it back in little spurts..
Wanna play??

steven

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was it because every shot was easy?

Let me ask this question. If I align to every shot the same, and hit every shot prcisely, how can one be harder than another one?

If this is the case, why, in 14 hours did Efren and I only miss less than 15 shots (one ball every two hours) in our gambling match in Seattle? Was it because every shot was easy?

Think about this for a moment, Lassiter said that if a player missed more than one ball an hour he knew he could beat him. He didn't say "if he misses an easy shot once an hour".....he said any shot.

Food for shot.....I mean thought. ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Let me ask this question. If I align to every shot the same, and hit every shot prcisely, how can one be harder than another one?

If this is the case, why, in 14 hours did Efren and I only miss less than 15 shots (one ball every two hours) in our gambling match in Seattle? Was it because every shot was easy?

Think about this for a moment, Lassiter said that if a player missed more than one ball an hour he knew he could beat him. He didn't say "if he misses an easy shot once an hour".....he said any shot.

Food for shot.....I mean thought. ;)

Oh, so you guys missed 15 easy shots, really ? Yikes, that's kind of embarassing :p