Are your new spotted billiard balls really balanced???

Simple3C

Registered
if you let the red dot touch the table.
The balls will try to stay that way.
Try to move the ball 1/4" or so, it will roll back.
Also, yellow are usually heavier than white, and then red.
Both happen even for the new sets.
i have tested about 10 sets.

illusivetrout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My white and red super aramith pro cup will do as you say BUT I put a dot on the red ball and it seems to do the same thing.Is what you are seeing a function of the compressability of the cloth? I have Gorina Granito M.I think a better test would be on a perfectly level glass plate which would eliminate the influence of the cloth.

Simple3C

Registered
is that simple? the compressibility of the cloth ??

I seriously doubt that is just be the compressibility of the cloth !!
1) the roll back phenomena do not happen when red-dot is on top.
2) If it is the the compressibility of the cloth, the cloth is either too loose or not good.
3) It been observed and confirmed by other players:
a: The ball barely pass the red dot and roll back in plays.
b: The ball with lot of side-spin makes unusual curvature path with red dot near top.
c: Balls with little side spin wobbled when red-dot near top .

Fellow players: please feedback your experience and thoughts.

tiger37373

3 Cushion Enthusiast
Silver Member
Interesting thread. I've used the new pro cup balls extensively. Several sets on my own table and various sets at tournaments and pool rooms. I must confess that, I have never witnessed the problem that your describing. The only time I have ever had "roll back" is when the table itself had problems a the joints or debris on the table. Have you talked with Aramith about your findings?

Simple3C

Registered
Correction:

CORRECTiON:
1) the roll back phenomena do not happen when red-dot is NOT on top.

I seriously doubt that is just be the compressibility of the cloth !!
1) the roll back phenomena do not happen when red-dot is on top.
2) If it is the the compressibility of the cloth, the cloth is either too loose or not good.
3) It been observed and confirmed by other players:
a: The ball barely pass the red dot and roll back in plays.
b: The ball with lot of side-spin makes unusual curvature path with red dot near top.
c: Balls with little side spin wobbled when red-dot near top .

Fellow players: please feedback your experience and thoughts.

farouk

Registered
?

My table's being recovered. It's levelled, but no cloth on yet. I started with the ball on the table with the red dot straight down, and then rotated it so the dot moved up about a quarter inch every time until the dot was straight up. I didn't get any change. I put the ball down and it stayed exactly as it was in every position. I put the ball down randomly, and it sits exactly as I put it.
I figured I'd try it. I don't see how the dot could really affect anything. It's not like a metal dot is inserted into the ball. It's all the same material colored differently. Think about a pool ball. You have a colored stripe, a number and a black circle around the number. If the colored stuff made a difference in weight, pool balls would be wobbling all over the place.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is our experience at our private club that has 4 sets of balls(all Aramith Pro Cup sets) that get a lot of use;

All the sets roll perfectly when they are new. Once the glossy finish has worn off all bets are off including the phenomena that has been described.

Conclusion:
1. balls should be replaced regularly
2. if not don't order measle balls
3. but then you're playing with non-regulation size balls (61.5)

Last edited:

Simple3C

Registered
Thanks.

Here is our experience at our private club that has 4 sets of balls(all Aramith Pro Cup sets) that get a lot of use;

All the sets roll perfectly when they are new. Once the glossy finish has worn off all bets are off including the phenomena that has been described.

Conclusion:
1. balls should be replaced regularly
2. if not don't order measle balls
3. but then you're playing with non-regulation size balls (61.5)

Thanks, Steve:

i think all 3 cushion billiard players should know your conclusion.

6 of 10 sets I have tested are within 3 months.
i guess that the regulation tournament balls will not last that long.
Any inexpensive resolution suggestions?

dblcross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"All the sets roll perfectly when they are new. Once the glossy finish has worn off all bets are off including the phenomena that has been described."

Steve: I bought a Diamond polisher and use it after every day's play. Pardon, but my balls are always glossy. Does this mean that I almost never would have to replace my balls ?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wearing the balls down is a function of polishing and how they're polished and how well you keep your table free from chalk dust. Chalk is abrasive. This is the most important factor. Keep your table clean.

Someone with a private table will get 10 times the life at least from a set of balls over a public table. We all know that the vast majority of rooms don't clean the tables much less the balls. Within a couple of months I've seen as much as .5 mm undersized balls in a public room. This is about when you start planning to replace them. .75-1mm its no choice IMO if you want them to play correctly.

As proof take you private set to a public room and play for an hour. They'll look like house balls when you walk out the door.