Ask The Instructor?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach

Those who can't teach, post answers on the internet.

Of course this isn't true.

If this forum is reduced to only "professional" instructors answering questions, then it will turn into nothing more than a client lead generator for those looking to fill their schedules.

Also it's going to be a pretty dead forum if it is restricted to the OP question and a "Pro" answering. Others chime into threads to discuss give opinion and get clarification on what is being taught.

If this were a classroom, there would be students who thought they knew enough to chime in with the right answer. It is up to the instructor to control and direct the discussion to the correct solution to whatever problem is being discussed.

If you are looking for one on one interaction, the internet is not the place to do it. If you are participating in this forum to generate clients, you're just going to have to deal with guys like me who are going to chime into a thread with a title that is interesting and a good topic going, regardless of where it is posted.

I've inadvertently posted replies in the snooker forum on topics of interest before I realized the "New" thread was in the snooker forum.

It's the internet, it's not perfect. It's up to the moderators to create some order out of chaos. We all post here because they do a good job.

:cool:

Who said this forum should be reduced to professional instuctors only? I think non professional instructors should participate as well.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach

Those who can't teach, post answers on the internet.

Of course this isn't true.

If this forum is reduced to only "professional" instructors answering questions, then it will turn into nothing more than a client lead generator for those looking to fill their schedules.

Also it's going to be a pretty dead forum if it is restricted to the OP question and a "Pro" answering. Others chime into threads to discuss give opinion and get clarification on what is being taught.

If this were a classroom, there would be students who thought they knew enough to chime in with the right answer. It is up to the instructor to control and direct the discussion to the correct solution to whatever problem is being discussed.

If you are looking for one on one interaction, the internet is not the place to do it. If you are participating in this forum to generate clients, you're just going to have to deal with guys like me who are going to chime into a thread with a title that is interesting and a good topic going, regardless of where it is posted.

I've inadvertently posted replies in the snooker forum on topics of interest before I realized the "New" thread was in the snooker forum.

It's the internet, it's not perfect. It's up to the moderators to create some order out of chaos. We all post here because they do a good job.

What's the big problem? Ask the same question in both the Main Forum and the Ask the Instructor forum.

Yes, some instructors try to use this section to generate clients. I actually hate that, but they do that in the main forum too and I think people can pick out when they do that.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, you said you have taught for 20 odd years. Just curious, what do you do on the even years.
Sorry, just thought I would inject a little humor here.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
The problem is "What's an instructor?" Just because someone doesn't do it for a living doesn't mean they don't have the same knowledge.

If one would suggest only a person with a certificate respond in this subforum, I'd suggest the readers would be limited in the information they get back. There are LOTS of very knowledgeable players/instructors out there who don't care enough to get certificates but still have the answers.

I don't teach for a living (never care enough to) but have had people drive hours (and even fly) to spend some time w/ me to learn certain things. I've never made a lot (somewhere in 4-figures) with lessons and I never care if I make another dollar --- a huge majority I help for free. I've recently been working with a guy in Baghdad with internet lessons.

My point is --- credentials don't impress me that much. It's almost like network engineers. MCSE's are a dime-a-dozen and the very best network people I've ever met never had the time or care to get their MCSE because they were so busy building-out huge projects. Conversely, I've met a LOT of MCSE's who couldn't plug in a mouse (that's a stretch, but you get my point).

I feel an instructor's credentials are the feedback / referrals from the people they help. As with my networking analogy, instruction is outcome-based --- either you help people (and they rave about you) or they don't. Either you can fix a network on-the-spot and diagnose problems or you can't---- paper/crendentials won't get you through the heat when someone is spending their money for a service and expecting results.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Let's not ignore one of the most obvious reasons why we should not exclude non-certified players from offering advice.......Many "instructors" are compensated for their advice and are not always eager to give info. away for free.

I've never seen that to be the case here..... heck, the instructors would not even come on if they didn't want to provide the info.

Sadly, other talented playes who may have been able to assist this player could not offer advice due to a lack of "certification".

They could start the thread "ask the shortstop" or "ask the local champ" , or the "ask the railbird"..... just saying,,,,

This website attracts more talented players than any other I've visited. If you exclude their insights simply because they lack "certification" you greatly diminish the value of feedback and knowledge availble to those seeking advice.

Don't need certifications, if you are an instructor, even f you do it for free, that should suffice. But not for every person who shoots "real" good.....

If credentials are so important, think about this....George W. Bush went to Harvard and he even married a teacher....and yet, I have a 13 year old nephew with a stronger grasp of the English language than George......and I suspect more common sense as well.
Harvard should be very embarrassed!

Yes, Harvard should be very embarrassed indeed, cause my 13 year old son is smarter than the current POTUS cause he would NOT have allowed so many failed policies to be put in place, drive the economy into the ground, and my son can give a presentation without a teleprompter, and has no ties to the corrupt politicians of Chicago...obviously Harvard Law School forgot to teach Mr. Obama anything at all about ETHICS.... but hey....you get what you pay for, and we are now all paying for this huge MISTAKE.....

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
What's the big problem? Ask the same question in both the Main Forum and the Ask the Instructor forum.
Yes, some instructors try to use this section to generate clients. I actually hate that, but they do that in the main forum too and I think people can pick out when they do that.

Why should someone post the same thing twice?

If I had a question, rather than post it, I would use the search function and find it there. If I still had questions after viewing, evaluating and digesting the copious amounts of information here, I might consider posting it as a question.

When I come here, I log on and press the New button. My interaction with this site is predicated on the New search results. Admittedly I don't pay close attention to the forum a thread was posted in. I reply to threads that have interesting titles and content to match, where I think I have something to add, or the thread has a black dot on the envelope indicating that I had posted in it before.

What you won't find me doing is injecting politics into a non NPR thread...

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is "What's an instructor?" Just because someone doesn't do it for a living doesn't mean they don't have the same knowledge.

If one would suggest only a person with a certificate respond in this subforum, I'd suggest the readers would be limited in the information they get back. There are LOTS of very knowledgeable players/instructors out there who don't care enough to get certificates but still have the answers.

I don't teach for a living (never care enough to) but have had people drive hours (and even fly) to spend some time w/ me to learn certain things. I've never made a lot (somewhere in 4-figures) with lessons and I never care if I make another dollar --- a huge majority I help for free. I've recently been working with a guy in Baghdad with internet lessons.

My point is --- credentials don't impress me that much. It's almost like network engineers. MCSE's are a dime-a-dozen and the very best network people I've ever met never had the time or care to get their MCSE because they were so busy building-out huge projects. Conversely, I've met a LOT of MCSE's who couldn't plug in a mouse (that's a stretch, but you get my point).

I feel an instructor's credentials are the feedback / referrals from the people they help. As with my networking analogy, instruction is outcome-based --- either you help people (and they rave about you) or they don't. Either you can fix a network on-the-spot and diagnose problems or you can't---- paper/crendentials won't get you through the heat when someone is spending their money for a service and expecting results.

I don't think it's a problem at all, at least not for this forum. If you consider yourself to be an instructor, part time, full time, for no pay, for some pay, then answer questions here. People know whether or not they feel they are an instructor. The real issue here is people who feel that they aren't instructors want to have their say. So far, no one is keeping them out and I don't think anyone will.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why should someone post the same thing twice?

If I had a question, rather than post it, I would use the search function and find it there. If I still had questions after viewing, evaluating and digesting the copious amounts of information here, I might consider posting it as a question.

When I come here, I log on and press the New button. My interaction with this site is predicated on the New search results. Admittedly I don't pay close attention to the forum a thread was posted in. I reply to threads that have interesting titles and content to match, where I think I have something to add, or the thread has a black dot on the envelope indicating that I had posted in it before.

I think you know the reason I'm suggesting to post something twice. No need for further clarification on that.

I go to the main page where the forums are listed first and I pick a forum. I sort of thought that was the common sense thing to do. I guess there are other ways of reading posts. I like to know where I'm at when I'm reading something.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, you said you have taught for 20 odd years. Just curious, what do you do on the even years.
Sorry, just thought I would inject a little humor here.

Ha! Good one! You got me there. Probably during the even years I was trying to be a pool player.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I don't think it's a problem at all, at least not for this forum. If you consider yourself to be an instructor, part time, full time, for no pay, for some pay, then answer questions here. People know whether or not they feel they are an instructor. The real issue here is people who feel that they aren't instructors want to have their say. So far, no one is keeping them out and I don't think anyone will.

My point is you can't quantify what makes an instructor (or identify all of them), so it's impossible to police.

A better way would be to petition azb to get your own sub-forum (i.e. ask the pro sections, with each pro answering posts). That way, people can ask a specific instructor a question if they wish. This sub-forum is mish-mash and that's why no one stops anyone from posting -- it can't be policed effectively.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point is you can't quantify what makes an instructor (or identify all of them), so it's impossible to police.

A better way would be to petition azb to get your own sub-forum (i.e. ask the pro sections, with each pro answering posts). That way, people can ask a specific instructor a question if they wish. This sub-forum is mish-mash and that's why no one stops anyone from posting -- it can't be policed effectively.

Ha, even in the ask the pro others answer. This is the internet. No way to police. This section does not really get out of hand at all. If there were flame wars all the time, I could see getting the mods to step in. But just because a regular person answers a question, is no reason to get alarmed.

Think of it this way... in this section, the instructors are more likely to browse and answer questions. Same of a player who wants a "qualified" answer. They will probably be most likely to post their question in this section. You will still have others posting answers who may have no clue. But percentage wise its probably a fair tradeoff.

Lets say a novice posted a legit question in the main forum. He might get 50% good answers, 25% bad answers (from people that think they know, but are way off), and 25% off topic political answers.

If he posted the same question in this section, the percentages might break down into something like this: 75% good answers, 15% bad answers, 10% off topic political answers.

I think the section works well, as is.

My 2 cents;)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good point.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

I agree.... but geez, I just could not let that one slide and felt a response was needed.... just to have equal time on both sides anyways :)

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking from the perspective of a guy who has often read this section but never posted in it, I enjoy seeing certain responses from those other than the instructors. If you have some common sense and an average IQ, it doesn't take much time reading a forum to determine who is full of crap and who has a clue. You simply filter out the crap and absorb the stuff you find useful. That's just the internet.

I would add that were there 25 to 50 qualified/certified instructors posting in this forum daily, it would likely make sense to limit the responses in some manner. That clearly isn't the case so I see no reason to change anything.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Speaking from the perspective of a guy who has often read this section but never posted in it, I enjoy seeing certain responses from those other than the instructors. If you have some common sense and an average IQ, it doesn't take much time reading a forum to determine who is full of crap and who has a clue. You simply filter out the crap and absorb the stuff you find useful. That's just the internet.

I would add that were there 25 to 50 qualified/certified instructors posting in this forum daily, it would likely make sense to limit the responses in some manner. That clearly isn't the case so I see no reason to change anything.

Except the title of the thread. We should just call it "Ax folks bout yer dern bad shootin" Thus, there cannot be an arguments......

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
ChicagoRJ stated......"Yes, Harvard should be very embarrassed indeed, cause my 13 year old son is smarter than the current POTUS cause he would NOT have allowed so many failed policies to be put in place, drive the economy into the ground, and my son can give a presentation without a teleprompter, and has no ties to the corrupt politicians of Chicago...obviously Harvard Law School forgot to teach Mr. Obama anything at all about ETHICS.... but hey....you get what you pay for, and we are now all paying for this huge MISTAKE"

While your reference seems to reflect a more personal issue which can easily be corrected with a little counceling, I would like to thank you for proving my point.

Credentials mean nothing!

Last edited: